[Now Implemented!] Share A Single File

picnicbob

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The need is to be able to share a single file to someone who does not necessarily have Resilio installed.  It should be a generated http link that downloads directly from one of the machines on which the sharer has Resilio installed.  Please implement this sorely needed feature!

• GreatMarko changed the title to [Now Implemented!] Share A Single File
17 minutes ago, GreatMarko said:

Folks, I'm happy to report that Sync 2.5 is now available which includes the ability to share individual files! :D (Pro users can "send" individual files, any user can "receive" them)

receive the file without installing sync? how?  can't figure out how. 

• 2 weeks later...

I really would love this feature too:

right-click a file/folder, generate a share-link and send it to another person, without taking care off, if she/he has resilio installed or not (like dropbox sharelinks with dl=1 as ZIP-File). Please add this feature soon :-) THANK YOU

• 1 month later...
On 5/11/2017 at 11:02 AM, GreatMarko said:

Folks, I'm happy to report that Sync 2.5 is now available which includes the ability to share individual files! :D (Pro users can "send" individual files, any user can "receive" them)

That's not what we're asking for.  I want to be able to send a link to someone who doesn't use Resilio.

Ok, so maybe it's hard to do, but really really useful!  You guys are smart, write tight code and makes things work very fast.  You can figure this out!

8 hours ago, Boatguy said:

That's not what we're asking for.  I want to be able to send a link to someone who doesn't use Resilio.

Ok, so maybe it's hard to do, but really really useful!  You guys are smart, write tight code and makes things work very fast.  You can figure this out!

This and Original Post:

That way I could email a magnet link to a client who could quickly retrieve that file from my "personal swarm" of computers without me having to try to explain what BitTorrent Sync is, the client install the program and link to my shared folder, etc.

This feature has NOT been "Implemented" and the title need to be changed to reflect that fact. The whole point, as mentioned above, is to share links outside of Resilio.

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Resilio team,

OK, so you implemented sharing single files. This looks useful at first glance, but in the end, it does not help us much, because it is not thought to the very end:

1.) A user sharing a file wants to close down his laptop shortly after creating the share link. So, there must always be a peer who picks up the file ASAP after creating the link. We want to configure either a share, or a set of peers, where the shared file are all sent to, and who will accept and download them all, so I can drive home while others can receive the file. My colleague wanted to send me a 80MB file today using the feature, and then go home, while I still was in a meeting. I needed the file after the meeting. For such a case, the feature is totally useless without propagating the file to an always-on peer.

2.) Simple deep links to existing files on existing shares. Requested so often. The explorer/finder plugin should offer a menu item to generate a deep link to a file or directory that already exists on a share. This is just for convenience, to embed file URLs in email, Slack, Intranets and other documents, and enable users to find them without browsing the folder structure manually.

3.) A configurable rewrite pattern (per share) to generate web URLs. We want to install a web server on one of the always-on peers, or maybe a WebDAV or SMB server or something like this. Just let us configure a pattern to rewrite the path or a file or directory in a Resilio share to a URL with a configurable pattern. As soon as the always-on peer receives the file, it will make it accessible there. Per-share configuration should be synced to any peer. Internal users could click the generated URL, and the installed web application could even allow them to manage external https share links for the files there.

Best,

Thorsten

• 2 weeks later...
On 31.7.2017 at 9:13 PM, thobarth said:

Dear Resilio team,

OK, so you implemented sharing single files. This looks useful at first glance, but in the end, it does not help us much, because it is not thought to the very end:

1.) A user sharing a file wants to close down his laptop shortly after creating the share link. So, there must always be a peer who picks up the file ASAP after creating the link. We want to configure either a share, or a set of peers, where the shared file are all sent to, and who will accept and download them all, so I can drive home while others can receive the file. My colleague wanted to send me a 80MB file today using the feature, and then go home, while I still was in a meeting. I needed the file after the meeting. For such a case, the feature is totally useless without propagating the file to an always-on peer.

2.) Simple deep links to existing files on existing shares. Requested so often. The explorer/finder plugin should offer a menu item to generate a deep link to a file or directory that already exists on a share. This is just for convenience, to embed file URLs in email, Slack, Intranets and other documents, and enable users to find them without browsing the folder structure manually.

3.) A configurable rewrite pattern (per share) to generate web URLs. We want to install a web server on one of the always-on peers, or maybe a WebDAV or SMB server or something like this. Just let us configure a pattern to rewrite the path or a file or directory in a Resilio share to a URL with a configurable pattern. As soon as the always-on peer receives the file, it will make it accessible there. Per-share configuration should be synced to any peer. Internal users could click the generated URL, and the installed web application could even allow them to manage external https share links for the files there.

Best,

Thorsten

I agree on all points, currently the file sharing feature is not used, because if you create a "File Share" you must add it to at least one "NAS" by hand.

Can you maybe add an option to push/sync "file shares" to different devices, e.g. that my NAS automatic download all "File Shares" from one ID.

Edit: Same as here

Edited by Dragonfire
cross linking

• 1 month later...

Can the "Send One File" (SOF) link be received and processed by a free version of Resilio or must they also have Pro version?

If so ... is the SOF link smart to install the free version of Resilio automatically before receiving the large file?

This feature will be the best advertising for Resilio.  "Hey, how did you send me that large movie by email?  You mean I can pay one time for Resilio Pro and have the same capability to send a large file to anyone?!"

• 4 months later...

Nice to see this community alive! :D

My non-technical friends shouldn't have to download a client before downloading a shared file.

The more I think about it, the more I see that a client might be an ideal way to deliver it from sender to receiver. But it makes it more troublesome for the receiver.

User-stories

As a sender, I would like to send a file to a person.

As a receiver,  I want to download the file via my browser.

I can think of two possible implementations:

1.  (the dumb way) Open an HTTP-socket to the file from my computer.
    • Wouldn't utilize any swarm delivery techniques. (bad, but maybe fit for the job)
  2. (the clever/hard way) Make a Resilio Sync Web-Client.

In my case, Sync of files/folders after download would not be important.

- Henry

1 hour ago, sjoenh said:

I can think of two possible implementations:

1.  (the dumb way) Open an HTTP-socket to the file from my computer.
    • Wouldn't utilize any swarm delivery techniques. (bad, but maybe fit for the job)
  2. (the clever/hard way) Make a Resilio Sync Web-Client.

Your first implementation has a lot of problems, because typically you sit behind a NAT, Firewall and other stuff ;)