Does Android Auto Sleep Work For You?

While your Android device is online and set to Auto Sleep, does it continue to sync as expected? In other words, are your Android device's files never more than 30 minutes or so out of sync, and your other devices' files never more than 30 minutes or so out of sync with what's on the Android device? By "30 minutes or so," I mean reasonably close to whatever sync period you've chosen. If Auto Sleep works consistently for you, please post your device, Android version, and if you were using WiFi or mobile data.

It's hard to really test this thoroughly, but I believe that sleep stops syncing for me only when I'm on mobile data. When I leave the phone on home LAN, I don't think I've ever seen it go much past the sleep period without syncing. Perhaps switching between networks is itself a factor, but it's hard to determine that. In any case, when not on the home LAN, it's almost exclusively on mobile data rather than any other WiFi network.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm surprised more people aren't reporting this issue. I had to stop using BTSync on android as my files weren't getting synced in the background, and turning off the auto-sleep feature is wasteful and drains too much battery. Any updates on when we can expect that fix?

Edited by bengb

@all, 

Please check one thing: when Sync is in background and not syncing, go to Android settings -> Apps -> Running and see if Sync has processes running (0 or 1?). 

This issue is indeed known to us and the interesting this is that it is characteristic for Nexuses and Android 4.4. (the latter kills the apps if they are swiped away from 'recent apps')

@Helen

Just went back to look at Running Apps as the phone hasn't synced in the last 3 hrs. BitTorrent Sync had 0 process and 1 Service running. Instead of a time running it had "Starting", after about 5 seconds a time appeared and it changed to 1 process and 1 service. I have seen this behaviour before. It looks like viewing the Running Apps list causes the process so start.

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't given it a tonne of testing, but things seem improved in the latest version (1.4).  Setting the AutoSleep feature to check every 5 minutes, actually has BTsync check every 5 minutes or so.  Gotta see how this works in the long-term and what it means for battery life, but thanks for the fix!

Thought I already replied but, I guess my browser wasn't behaving. Anyways, things are much improved with the latest update. It's sort of suspicious, though, that with auto-sleep on and a 5 minute delay, btsync doesn't show up in the battery page of the system settings. Is it really using this little power, or it's the power usage hidden under some other app, or Android OS? In any event, fantastic job. Things are working very well in version 1.4.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk