.syncignore Trouble – Am I Using It Wrong?

Hi everyone!

I am trying to sync my Home directory with 1.3.105 on OS X 10.9.3 but it seems like my .SyncIgnore file is being (partially?) ignored.

This is what it looks like:

# .SyncIgnore is a UTF-8 encoded .txt file that helps you specify single files, paths and rules # for ignoring during the synchronization job. It supports "?" and "*" wildcard symbols.####/Music/Dropbox/Library*.aplibraryiPhoto Library# Synology #@eaDir# hidden files #.*# OS generated files #.DS_Store.DS_Store?._*.Spotlight-V100.Trashesehthumbs.dbdesktop.iniThumbs.db# Finder #com.apple.FinderInfocom.apple.metadata:_kMDItemUserTagscom.apple.ResourceForkcom.apple.metadata:kMDItemFinderCommentcom.apple.metadata:kMDItemStarRatingcom.apple.metadata:kMDItemOMUserTagTimecom.apple.metadata:kMDItemOMUserTagscom.apple.metadata:kMDItemOMUserTagTime

For some reason, the Dropbox and Library are synced irregardless, at least partially. On the other hand, lots of files in the folder Pictures are missing as well as the whole Documents folder. This is when viewing the folder in the iOS app.

The Bittorrent Sync also states the wrong size for the Home on the Mac; 6.1 GB when it should be somewhere around 20 GB (ignored files taken into account). I can influence this size by adding or removing *.aplibrary (the Aperture Library) to .SyncIgnore, so the file does not seem to be ignored entirely.

What am I doing wrong?

Thank you for your reply, this does not appear to change anything (same folder size in Sync App, folders and contents still synced).

Do I understand correctly, that 

/folder

is supposed to ignore the entire folder, while

folder/*

should ignore not the folder itself but all it's contents?

EDIT: I just realised it did change something. The folder ~/Music shows up in the iOS app now. Empty, as would be expected. ~/Library and ~/Dropbox still behaving weird though…

@Native Advertisement

Are your Dropbox and Library folders in the root of the sync folder?

Putting filters like 

/Dropbox

Dropbox/*

tells sync to force these filters to the root folder of sync directory only, all the subfolders deeper than root won't be affected.

@Native Advertisement

I see. Did you add the home folder using "~" macro or with a direct path "/Users/<username>/home"..?

If you were using direct path - I suggest collecting debug logs and sending them to syncapp@bittorrent.com so we can try to find out what is happening. Please add issue description and link to this topic.

Thanks!

@RomanZ

I added the folder using the GUI ('My Sync' → 'add folder' or something along the lines, I use the German localisation). When I open the folder's property window, the window title reads 'Users/nameofmyhomefolder', so that should be fine. I had just sent you the logs in pm, had not yet seen your post, will send an email.

Thank you.

@Native Advertisement

I don't see any traces of Dropbox folder being synced in the log. I can only guess that:

1. This event happened before Sync picked up updated .SyncIgnore (it might take up to folder_rescan_interval to apply new ignore list)

2. This event happened longer than log rotation (~20 megs) allows.

Also, you say that you sync the data to your iOS device. Please make sure that it has enough free space to get all the data. It might be a reason why Pictures aren't get synced. Are you using auto-sync or selective sync on your iOS device?

@ RomanZ

Auto download is disabled in the app. Nevertheless, everything should turn up when the app is running on both the Mac and the phone. Both devices are in the same network.

I looked at the synced Dropbox folder again, and it contained only one subfolder that had been long deleted. It did not show up in the log file, even after rescan, but kept getting synced to the phone.

Then I deleted the folder in both the iOS app as well as in mac sync app, and re-added it.

This time, the ~/Dropbox folder does not appear, ~/Music is empty, ~/Library shows only one file, com.apple.FinderInfo (even though com.apple.FinderInfo is excluded via .SyncIgnore)

So even though the three are excluded the same way in .SyncIgnore:

Music/*Dropbox/*Library/*

each one shows a different behaviour.

The ~/Documents folder does still not appear, even though it is not in .SyncIgnore

This is consistent after several rescans (it is set to 600s).

I could not check the sync.log, since it keeps crashing Console.app, but there are many

"SyncFolderNotify: got event for file …"

events for subfolders of ~/Library in sync.log.old.

The folder ~/Documents does not appear neither in the app nor in the sync.log.old, even though it should…

I emailed newer log files, from after when I re-added the folder to Sync app.

Thanks