Bittorrent Sync Loses All Settings After Reboot

This is a strange issue.  I'm only reporting it because it's happening on two different machines in our office.  We have 4 folder shares (secrets) that we run on each machine.  Without exception, every time we reboot one of the machines (Windows 7 SP1, BitTorrent Sync 1.3.105), Windows starts up and BitTorrent Sync forgets all our shares and opens up the "first time setup" window, prompting us to input our first secret or create one.

This appears to only started happening with the latest version.  We upgraded about a week ago.  I've lost count of how my times we've uninstalled, re-installed and re-added all the folders to each machine.  Each time, all 4 folders sync up as they are supposed to, and stay synced in real time- until you reboot.  Then all settings are lost again.

I noticed in a different post that was made a month and a half ago this was a documented bug in the linux version.  Do you think it will be fixed soon?

Thanks!!!  We LOVE BitTorrent Sync- it's a phenomenal application, and you guys are clearly putting a lot of hard work into developing it.  As an IT Consultant I recommend it all the time.  Every single person I've recommended who has started using it always thanks me.  

-James

On Windows devices, Sync stores its data in C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Roaming\BitTorrent Sync (or if your office network uses remote profiles your "AppData" folder may actually be stored on a network/file server, rather than on the local machine)

In either case, it sounds like your IT/Network administrator has enforced policy restrictions to make you user profile "read only" or to reset it (discard changes) upon each login.

In which case, there's not much you can do, short of speaking to your IT/Network admins, because at present it's not possible to change the default location where Sync saves its settings to something other than your AppData folder.

I've also had this issue for a while James, for me it works perfectly on my work PC but not on my home PC.

GreatMarko, I've tried changing appdata from read only, & I also tried taking ownership of the folder, & running BTSync as admin, but none of these have resolved the issue for me. 

I think I've found a solution to this, I was trying to think of the changes I'd made to my work PC & I remembered I'd used a registry fix to stop an error about a limit on my user profile space, & thought see if it was causing the difference in behaviour. 

I made a .txt file with the following & info, renamed it to a .reg file & imported it:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System]
"EnableProfileQuota"=-
"ProfileQuotaMessage"=-
"MaxProfileSize"=-
"IncludeRegInProQuota"=-
"WarnUser"=-
"WarnUserTimeout"=-

This time when I turned on my home PC I didn't experience a setup screen.

I can't think of any other changes that could have fixed it

On Windows devices, Sync stores its data in C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Roaming\BitTorrent Sync (or if your office network uses remote profiles your "AppData" folder may actually be stored on a network/file server, rather than on the local machine)

In either case, it sounds like your IT/Network administrator has enforced policy restrictions to make you user profile "read only" or to reset it (discard changes) upon each login.

In which case, there's not much you can do, short of speaking to your IT/Network admins, because at present it's not possible to change the default location where Sync saves its settings to something other than your AppData folder.

GreatMarko- That's a great thought, however I am the IT Administrator and I can tell you we place no policy, admin or change restrictions on any of our machines here.  We have a small staff and everyone logs in as admin to their own machines.  I've verified there are no bad sectors or file corruption taking place.  No other software appears to be changing or affected.  BittorrentSync just seems to "forgot" all it's info after every reboot.  And strangely enough, it's happening consistently, but only on 2 out of 5 of our systems.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...