No Using Secondary Link

i_q

btsync is great - thanx ...

But I have a small issue 

I have some boxes in the datacenter, where BTsync is running and seeding to multiple hosts.

normally I'll put new stuff on one host and these will be seeding to all the clients.

So now I have these hosts connected with 1G links to the Internet and I have connected them on the backside with a dedicated 10G Network (Yes, the machines have 10G links)

So my Idea is, that I push some new files to one of the seeder, they will use all the bandwidth between them and then seed it to "the world" with an 1G uplink each.

But as it seems, the 10G network won't be used. Even if I specify the IP-Adresses on the second Interface they don't seem to find each other on this link. 

The sync rate never goes >100MB/s per host, and OMG this hardware _WILL_ do a lot more.

As this is currently an prototype and I'm planning on using this for intercontinental sync between datacenter-locations it's important for me, to test if this works -

This setup can also be replicated in a small environment, if you plug two workstations two an WIFI-Network for sharing/seeding, and connect them on the backside with a straight Cat5E-Cable.

Configuring some IP-Adresses on the secondary net, and giving them as an seeder will not use the cable link but rather still use the wifi.

Of course, if you're gathering enough hosts/clients on the net, that are reseeding the stuff, it all will be fine, but the bootup-phase is critical and can possibly be much more accelerated this way ...

Any ideas?

Sync is currently only capable of using one network interface at any one time - normally, this is whichever one it sees as "active" first - and it's not currently possible to define/set which network adapter Sync should use.

For example, if you have a device with both wired and wireless network adapters, and you unplug the wired before starting Sync, Sync will use the wireless network adapter as it's the only one available (even if you then subsequently plug back in the wired)

• 3 weeks later...

Sync is currently only capable of using one network interface at any one time - normally, this is whichever one it sees as "active" first - and it's not currently possible to define/set which network adapter Sync should use.

For example, if you have a device with both wired and wireless network adapters, and you unplug the wired before starting Sync, Sync will use the wireless network adapter as it's the only one available (even if you then subsequently plug back in the wired)

I have three network adapters but only one with access to the internet w/o going via a proxy... This is the wifi adapter that I would like to use for btsync.

When I turn off the other (wired) adapters btsync uses the wifi adapter and devices appear in the list and things start syncing but as soon as I re-enable the other two adapters btsync switches to a different one and the connection is lost. This doesn't fit with the scenario you're describing... is there a setting I need to configure to enable this?

thanks GreatMarko, for the answer ...

So Iĺl probably have to play a bit with this.

I'll see, if I can work out a linux-solution for this ... 

... currently I'm thinking about running multiple instances of btsync via lxc - anyone tried, what happens, if different btsync-instances are seeding the same directory?

... currently I'm thinking about running multiple instances of btsync via lxc - anyone tried, what happens, if different btsync-instances are seeding the same directory?

It's not really advisable to run multiple instances of Sync, especially if they're running on the same directories/concurrently - it can lead to problems!