Frontend Gui Shows Lots Of Connected Devices

From looking at your screenshot I would guess BTsync is using the relay server to transfer data (as evidenced by the small cloud icon). That would explain the extra connections as well. This only typically occurs when your devices can't communicate due to firewall restrictions.

For the moment you can manually disable relay-server traffic by removing the option from the advanced preferences page on each synced folder. I highly recommend you enable the tracker and match this to maximize your chances of obtaining direct connections. The 'tracker' does not transfer data between devices like the 'relay' does, it only facilitates the connection directly between devices.

If that doesn't work you can always move to using pre-defined hosts. If that still doesn't work definitely wait for tuxpoldo as he is the definitive PRO in this area. :)

Ahem... I was so stupid... I read your mail but I missed looking at the screenshot. Since you write you are using Ubuntu 14.04 I believed by mistake you were using btsync-gui, but the problem seems to be related to the Web UI. This is definitively an issue for the developers of BitTorrent Sync... Sorry.

From looking at your screenshot I would guess BTsync is using the relay server to transfer data (as evidenced by the small cloud icon). That would explain the extra connections as well. This only typically occurs when your devices can't communicate due to firewall restrictions.

For the moment you can manually disable relay-server traffic by removing the option from the advanced preferences page on each synced folder. I highly recommend you enable the tracker and match this to maximize your chances of obtaining direct connections. The 'tracker' does not transfer data between devices like the 'relay' does, it only facilitates the connection directly between devices.

If that doesn't work you can always move to using pre-defined hosts. If that still doesn't work definitely wait for tuxpoldo as he is the definitive PRO in this area. :)

Thanks for your reply! I removed the "relay server" from my shared folder.

Now I have to wait and see if there appear any more connections :)

For my understanding: what is a relay server and what are predefined hosts?

Ahem... I was so stupid... I read your mail but I missed looking at the screenshot. Since you write you are using Ubuntu 14.04 I believed by mistake you were using btsync-gui, but the problem seems to be related to the Web UI. This is definitively an issue for the developers of BitTorrent Sync... Sorry.

You were right. I have a server where I use the default btsync. And on my notebook with Ubuntu 14.04 I use btsync-gui.

So, do you have any tipps for that matter?

Edited by david.skx

I've had the same problem for a while. I have four sync folders, but one of them--and never any of the others--shows 28 devices when it should only show 6. The only difference is that that sync folder also syncs with my Note 2, but the Note 2 doesn't sync any other folder. Most of the 28 devices are redundant Note 2's, but some are not the Note 2, which is weird. My Note 2 has exhibited unexplainable sync problems in the past, so I've reduced it to just that one sync folder on its internal SD card. Since taking the Note 2's external SD card out of the loop at a dev's suggestion, there have been no other problems except this redundant listing of devices.

By the way, my S4 syncs folders on both its internal and external SD cards, no problem.

• 2 weeks later...

I have this same problem.

I now have removed the relay-server option.

But is there anyway to reset the list on the webui?

I couldn't figure out how to do that, so I ended up removing the directory from sync and then resyncing as new. It was my smallest 4MB sync folder, so that was easy. I'm just glad my other sync folders haven't had this problem. The option says "use relay server when required," but I'm not even sure of its benefits or when it's required.

I couldn't figure out how to do that, so I ended up removing the directory from sync and then resyncing as new. It was my smallest 4MB sync folder, so that was easy. I'm just glad my other sync folders haven't had this problem. The option says "use relay server when required," but I'm not even sure of its benefits or when it's required.

I did the same, I'm also not sure what the relay option does, it seems to work fine at least when I test it myself.

I'm not sure if it needed at all in my situation.

I run a linux server with the ports forwarded.

But now I can't tel it for sure, because I use it to sync files between a group of people, can some of them run into problems if I uncheck the relay?

The relay-server is a server hosted by bittorrent itself (if i understood it correctly). Normally clients should be able to sync over the internet without problema. But if the port you are using is blocked or only predefined ports are allowed (like in companies, schools e.t.c.) you can enable the relaysever. Your data are then streamed to the relayserver (standing somewewhere in the USA i guess, did a traceroute), which then sends them to the destination. Like a proxy.

By the way: Remember to restart btsync for changes in configuration to get applied ;)

@spYro

Exactly.

@JimmyTheSaint

Only few preferences require BTSync to be restarted (like DHT). I'm preparing a list of preferences that actually require restart - will be available with 1.4 release doc.

@mrspcs & all

If you still experience that issue - I'd appreciate full debug logs for it so I can take a peek and (hopefully) resolve the issue.

Thanks,

So if I understand that correctly I should add

// DAEMON_DEBUG=FFFF

With the //

?

Yes. The option is not parsed by btsync itself, but by the daemon init script. The daemon init script manages all advanced things like process credentials, UMASK, NICE level, etc. This is the only advanced setting not managed by debconf. This means: if added to the default instance, it will be overwritten (in this case deleted) each time debconf regenerates the configuration file (generally on update and on manual reconfigure with dpkg-reconfigure).