Hi,

i'm running Synology DS212j. I have roughly 600GB Data and tryed BT-Sync with an Read Only Secret to backup on the fly to two offsite backups. I don't have any problems with smaller folders but when I add the whole main folder my BT-Sync stops indexing at 37628 files or 27,4 GB. Does have BT-Sync problems with bigger folders?

Best regards,

Frell

P.S.: If this belongs in the troubleshooting department, plz move the thread. I wasn't sure if I should post it in troubleshooting or NAS

Edited by FrellPumpkin

@FrellPumpkin

There is no limitation in BTSync. It is limited by resources of OS where it is running. When you have big amount of folders / files, your Synology might run out of memory. It takes in average around 400 bytes per file/folder, so your 37k of files are going to take around 15M of memory. Please check if this is affordable on your NAS.

Also, I guess that something other happened that prevents BTSync finish indexing - most likely, some permission issues. I suggest collecting debug logs and sending to our support e-mail, syncapp@bittorrent.com

• 3 weeks later...

I am using BTSync on a Drobo 5N. It only has 1GB of system RAM, but is able to handle much larger directories than 37k files.

I am currently syncing around 250,000 files, which is about 3TB of data. The largest sync folder is 217,000 files.

Having said that you are dealing with lots of very small files (less than 1Mb on average), have you tried excluding some unecessary files using the .SyncIgnore file?