Bittorrent Sync And Synology Nas Ds212J Sync Times And File Delete Questions

ok so i have 1 synology nas device ds212j with 1 share(backups) and i have a few questions.

versions:

on my nas running btsync Version 1.3.94 (which i got from the synocommunity packages)

synology nas running dsm 4.3 os

on my android(galaxy s5 running kitkat 4.4.3) im running btsync v. 1.3.21.0 client

1. how can i change the time schedule that bittorrent checks to see whether it needs to upload a new         file? is there     a default file somewhere on the client or the synology client? i know on the mac client i

could change the ms in the options, but i dont see one on the synology client.

2. if i have a huge initial dump file size(such as 20gb dcim folder) that im trying to backup with bittorrent

a. can i copy the folder over the network first to this backups folder? will bittorrent recognize the files       already on the share that match the ones from the dcim folder its uploading, or will it try to overwrite         the same file?

b. or do i have to let it use bittorrent client to do the backup?

3. is there anyway to setup bittorrent sync on the android device to only sync when its on wifi? or from          certain scheduled times, i.e. 1am-6am.

4. when i delete a picture file from my dcim folder, it seems this deletes the backup that was made as          well. this would be ok, but ther are times when im going to "clean out"my dcim folder and would liketo     keep all the pictures backed up. is there an option to not delete from the backup? or would i have to          just disable syncing and then setup a new folder sync after i delete all the files?

sorry for all the questions and thanks in advance!!

@oldschoola

1. On desktop clients there is no schedule. If BTSync is running, it will receive OS notifications on file changes in sync folders, and approximately around 15 seconds after changes is done - it will start syncing files. If OS does not send notifications (for example, you have excessive amount of folders or really deep folder), BTSync will detect new files every folder_rescan_interval (which is 10 minutes by default and can be changed in advanced preferences.

On Android device it is slightly different. BTSync core goes to sleep when no actual transfer occurs to save device power. It will wake up every period (30 mins by default) to check if any new data is available on Android device or on remote peers to sync. The sleep mode can be disabled or the sleep period adjusted.

2. Yes, you can pre-copy files to avoid extra file copy over network. BTSync won't re-sync already existing files. Please note, when copying share manually - DO NOT copy BTSync service files (like, .syncID, .SyncArchive, etc), as it is going to break Sync logic.

3. "Wifi only" - yes, you can do it. Disable the "Mobile internet" in BTSync options to force BTSync sync data only when it is in wifi range. Unfortunately, BTSync does not support schedule yet.

4. You can do it. All the files deleted on one peer are moved to ".SyncArchive" hidden folder on another peer. They stay in archive for 30 days by default. All you need to do on your archive peer is to change the "sync_trash_ttl" advanced setting from 30 to 0. In this case your deleted pics will never be deleted from .SyncArchive.

RomanZ, thank you for your help!

but im using the bittorent sync app on my synology nas as the destination and i dont see any of the options you listed. i.e. 

1. folder_rescan_interval - i dont see any options for this on my nas btsync app.

3. "Mobile internet" in BTSync options. Do you mean the "Use mobile data" option on my android phone btsync app? as i dont see any mobile internet options on my synology nas app.

4. i have a mac that i access the nas share that i backup my android phone to, and i dont see a .syncarchive on the nas share that is my destination for the backups. on the synology app i dont see a "sync_trash_ttl"  option

below are some screenshots of the only options i see in the btsync app in synology

199oc0.jpg

2pzcjf5.jpg

@oldschoola

Both "folder_rescan_interval" and "sync_trash_ttl" are advanced preferences - and are not available in Linux GUI. They can be configured only via config file on Linux PC.

.SyncArchive is a hidden folder. Try looking for it from terminal window with "ls -al" command or just enable showing hidden files in your shell.

@oldschoola

There is a special mode of running BTSync - with a config file. To do it, you need to run BTSync with --config command:

./btsync --config <path_and_name_of_config_file>

You can get a sample config file if you run

./btsync --dump-sample-config

• 4 weeks later...

Can this setting "folder_rescan_interval" be made available in the WebUI ?? (where the upload and download limits can be configured)

I tried to mess around in SSH on my Synology... however to no avail. I've spend many hours on installing Putty, learning SSH, JSON, configuring the NAS and reading lots about how to change this folder_rescan_interval but could never get it working :-(

I have a Synology DS212 and a DS212j at my parents place and keep 10+ folders and 1TB+ of files in sync (with an additional 3 computers and a tablet).
The DS212 is really suffering from the frequent rescans ... but the DS212j just can't handle it: too much memory load ... and it keeps repeating time and again. 10 minutes is way to short to plow through all these folders !
(for my application a rescan of once per day would actually be sufficient)

It is strange to me that the bandwidth limits are made available in the preferences window, but the scan_interval is omitted.

• 3 weeks later...