Bandwidth Limits Per Ip Range

goli

Hey there.

Well ... could have sworn there already is such a request. But since it's either somehow lost or it was just a dream here it is once again.

Would be awesom if I could specify bandwidth limits per peer IP range.

Something like this:

{    bandwidth: [{        peer: '192.168.0.0/16',        up: '*', // unlimited bandwidth        down: '*'    }, {        peer: '10.0.0.0/8',        up: '100M', // limit guests, or my brother         down: '100M'    }, {        peer: '*',        up: '5M', // my ISP provides me with 50/10, so 25/5 for btsync is sufficient        down: '25M' // those usually are remote devices like DSL connections or 4G, so 25M is more then enough here    }, {        peer: '178.236.6.250',        up: '5M', // sending capped by my ISPs connection, but my Amazon EC2 can send as fast as possible        down: '*' // no need to limit receiving from my Amazon EC2    }]}

Think about routed private networks like company networks or dorms. Usually local peers can have as much bandwidth as possible because there is no connection limit except your very own devices pacabilities -- but you cannot rely on having them in the very same subnet as the local interface.

Think about some privileged peers like hosted VPS that should be provided with as much bandwidth as possible, although it's limited to your ISPs connection.

In nearly every situation I want to use btsync I want to limit general peer connections to 50% or 80% of my ISPs upstream connection in order to not influence my day to day internet usage when remote peers are connected. But I don't want to limit local connectionts although they are routed.

Regards,

Stephan.

P.S.: I just added a nearly random amazon IP (currently pointing diretly to amazon.de). That's *not* an EC2.

Hey spYro.

Thank you for your support.

Let me give you a short use case for personal use that I guess nearly 50% of personal users will experience.

Buy a cheap NAS box for $100 that can handle btsync.

Install btsync on both, your personal computer and the NAS box.

Now tryo to make the NAS box provide your personal computer with gbit speed since it's wired to the computer directly but not fill your external interent connection completely.

There are several tools for several data transfer situations that do "something like that".

The only difference to my feature request is: Most of them are initiated by the user directly and then can be adjusted in terms of speed for the current transfer session.

That's what nearly every e.g. ftp tool does, or tools to handle amazon s3. Open the tool, connect to your remote (ftp or amazon or whatever), start up- or downloading and bandwidth for the open window.

I just moved that "for the open window" UI slider to the configuration file because there is no open window, and I don't want to adjust it over and over again whenever I start my computer.

Imho that's just regular QOS. But I don't expect the average btsync user to run QOS capable routers.

User interface could be pretty easy. I'm thinking of the "devices" tab. Doubleclick on a specific device and adjust "overrule bandwidth" here.

This would, of course, expand my request from "source is any ip or ip range" to "source is any ip or ip range or can be a btsync device id" :).

It *could* be implemented quite nicely and in a way every user understands.

Regards,

Stephan.