Case Sensitivity, Windows -> Linux -> Windows

bovine3dom

Hi,

I'm part of an ArmA gaming group and we're using BitTorrent Sync to help make sure our 100-odd community members are running exactly the same versions of ArmA modifications.

BTSync runs along side an old FTP-only solution for those who don't want to switch to BitTorrent Sync.

Here's a diagram of what happens when somebody updates the FTP server:

ec71093551.gif

I'm using a program called 'lftp' to keep the FTP server and BTSync server synchronised.

The problem I have is that if somebody changes the capitalisation on a directory on the FTP server, lftp is clever enough to change the capitalisation on the directory on the BTSync server.

However, BitTorrent Sync decides that there must be a conflict, and it uploads the entire directory again to the Windows clients under the same name with the suffix ".conflict".

Is there any way I can turn off this case-sensitivity? An obvious work-around would be to make everything on the FTP server lowercase, but that would look really ugly.

Thanks.

Is there any way I can turn off this case-sensitivity?

It's not really a limitation of Sync - more a limitation of Windows. On Linux for example, you can have two files, one named "FILE.txt" and "file.txt" co-existing in the same folder. Windows doesn't allow this - it sees the two file names as being the same - and therefore the operating system itself (not Sync) generates a .conflict file/folder.

An obvious work-around would be to make everything on the FTP server lowercase, but that would look really ugly.

That would likely be the best solution!