Bittorrent Ios Photo Backup Just Not Working Well

drjones

I have the latest versions of the iOS & Windows apps.

I have a NAS / media server I custom built for myself with Win7 Pro x64 and multiple independent drives - no RAID; nothing too fancy.

I have my NAS set to backup many different ways, but I do use BTSync to backup its contents (about 3TB of stuff; movies, photos, mp3s, etc) to another dedicated PC on my LAN.

As far as I can see, BT Sync works fine between the two computers.

I recently tried to setup Bittorrent Sync to backup my iPhone 5 camera roll - approx. 30GB of photos (yes, really) in around 6,500 files, according to what the BT Sync iOS app tells me. The whole point of this is I'd like to use BTSync to backup my photos to my media server & then delete them from my phone to clear space on it.

What happens is that it just doesn't backup ALL photos; and the problem seems limited primarily to more recent pics.

For example:

- If I save 6 photos from the internet, then open the BTSync app & let it backup, it will backup photos 1 and 3, but none of the other 6.

- If I take 4 photos in a row, it will backup one, but not the other three.

I've already rebooted my iPhone & NAS countless times and have deleted and reinstalled the iOS app.

Both the iOS & Windows apps report the sync/backup as complete, yet it is clearly not.

What else should I try? Do I just have too many photos & videos on my iPhone for BTSync to handle?

Thank you!

drjones,

Sync backs up only those files that are in Camera Roll. Do all your saved from internet and freshly taken photos get to Camera Roll directly? 

Does the amount of files increases accordingly in backup UI on iOS? 

As a quick solution you may restart backup itself (disable it in Sync settings and enable again). Share the new secret with your other devices. All photos is camera Roll will be uploaded. 

And also, please, write to syncapp@bittorrent.com.

1) Mention this forum topic in message,

2) and please provide answers to the asked questions.

3) and finally, attach debug logs from any of the other peers where you backup photos to. Thank you.

I'd like to look closer into this case. Thanks. 

• 1 month later...

Hi, so sorry for the delayed reply, was out of country.

To answer:

- Yes, all photos I save from the internet, apps, etc, get saved to Camera Roll. I do not believe there is any other way for this to work / no way to change that behavior in iOS.

- I do not use PhotoStream

- Not sure what exactly you mean about "does the amount of files increase accordingly in backup"??

Here's what I plan to do to help troubleshoot, tell me if the steps are correct:

- Turn ON debug logging on my media server where I have my BTSync photos go to

- Open the BTSync iOS app, let it sync/backup

- Check my photo folder on my media server, see if it still is behaving the same way.

Let me know....

Also, I already have deleted & reinstalled the app on my iPhone and disabled and re-enabled sync/backup.

drjones,

- Not sure what exactly you mean about "does the amount of files increase accordingly in backup"??

I mean after you take or download new photos to Camera Roll, does iOS Sync app shows that the number of files to backup has increased accordingly? E.g, you say it shows  30GB of photos in around 6,500 files, and after you take some 5 photos, will Sync say is has to backup 30+ Gb in 6005 files? 

Yes, your plan is OK.  After you encounter the reported problem and sync stops, send feedback from your iPhone and agree to attach logs. When you receive acknowledgement mail, reply to it and attach logs from a NAS.  Put the link to this forum topic in your message. Thank you.