Devices Not Staying Connected

Hello everyone, This may be posted in the wrong section and if so please accept my apologies as this is my first time on the forums.

I don't know if I am doing something wrong but after a while my devices seem to loose connection to each other and the only way to make them see each other again is to close and re-open the sync app on one of the devices. This happens weather I am using the Linux or the Windows versions of sync and usually after the device has been in suspend for a long period of time.

For those wondering both devices are on a wired cat5e network that all go through two 8 port TP-Link unmanaged switches. The same problem happens going from Wi-Fi to wired too. There is also a pfSense box running as my router/firewall and has a rule to pass all traffic through the LAN interface. I have also tried disabling the local machines firewall temporarily without any luck, and the only options I have enabled on the folders are "Search LAN" and "Store deleted files in folder archive".

If I enable the relay server the problem usually goes away and I do not have to restart the sync app, So I don't know if there are any known problems with the "Search LAN" function as this problem rarely happens if I use predefined hosts.

I can also never normally see other wireless clients if I open the sync Android app, It will always only find the wired clients.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am lost of what to try next.

I also observe this issue constantly.

After a couple of hours of BTSync running I see a number of r/o nodes that are usually always present on that share, drop from about 10 to 2 or 3. But when I restart BTSync the number of nodes goes back to normal.

We are talking about 1.3.106 on win7.

I also observe this issue constantly. After a couple of hours of BTSync running I see a number of r/o nodes that are usually always present on that share, drop from about 10 to 2 or 3. But when I restart BTSync the number of nodes goes back to normal. We are talking about 1.3.106 on win7.

Thanks for your reply. Glad to see I'm not the only one with this issue, Hopefully more people also have the same issue and will reply to this post so we can start investigating why this is happening.

• 2 weeks later...

If I enable the relay server the problem usually goes away and I do not have to restart the sync app, So I don't know if there are any known problems with the "Search LAN" function as this problem rarely happens if I use predefined hosts.

It looks like your multicast/broadcast packets (for LAN discovery) are either dropped or switched to unicasts. Sync sends broadcasts to port 3838 for LAN discovery. 

As for Android seeing only wired peers, your LAN settings - are they applied to both wired and wireless? Could you please elaborate how your network is configured "to pass all traffic through the LAN interface"? Which is this interface? 

It looks like your multicast/broadcast packets (for LAN discovery) are either dropped or switched to unicasts. Sync sends broadcasts to port 3838 for LAN discovery. 

As for Android seeing only wired peers, your LAN settings - are they applied to both wired and wireless? Could you please elaborate how your network is configured "to pass all traffic through the LAN interface"? Which is this interface? 

Thanks for the reply. Sure thing, A very basic overview of my network would be as follows:

Modem > pfSense Box > 2X Unmanaged Gigabit Switches > Cat5e ports > Wired devices

> Wireless AP > Wireless clients

All machines have a firewall enabled but a rule to allow all traffic in if it comes from my local network (192.168.X.X/24). The pfSense box has the same rule to pass all local traffic on the LAN interface. Everything is blocked on the WAN by default unless it matches a rule that I specify, However this shouldn't be the problem as I have limited BTsync for over the LAN only and disabled the tracker servers etc.

Having checked the firewall logs I can see that traffic coming from/to port 3838 is being passed through the firewall okay and not being blocked. The destination in the logs is sometimes the IP of the machine and sometimes it is 239.192.0.0. I don't know if this is the correct behaviour or not? But I'm pretty sure that is the multicast IP address? Please do correct me if I am wrong though.

Thanks for bearing with me.

GreatSirius,

sometimes it is 239.192.0.0.But I'm pretty sure that is the multicast IP address? 

Yes, these are multicasts. 

I'd like to look into your case deeper. Could you please collect full debug logs from at least two devices when they lose connection: after they lose it, wait for some 10 seconds and restart Sync and wait for some other 5-7minutes. Please, send both sync.log and sync.log.old files. Put link to this topic into your message. Thank you! 

GreatSirius,

Yes, these are multicasts. 

I'd like to look into your case deeper. Could you please collect full debug logs from at least two devices when they lose connection: after they lose it, wait for some 10 seconds and restart Sync and wait for some other 5-7minutes. Please, send both sync.log and sync.log.old files. Put link to this topic into your message. Thank you! 

Thank you again for taking the time to reply,

I am pleased to say that at the moment this issue seems to have resolved itself after updating the clients to 1.3.109. I will keep an eye on things and post again if this continues but fingers crossed it seems to be okay at the moment.

Thank you for your help.