Sync Folders On Same Pc (Device) Possible?

j_s

Hi there,

I want to sync 2 folders on the same PC (mirror them, they're on 2 different drives) however BTSync wont allow it. I get the error "Selected folder is already added to BitTorrent Sync."

Is there a way to mirror sync 1 folder (which is actually on another PC) on 1 device across 2 or more target folders on the same device? if not, why not?  are there any reasons why BTSync restricts this? (before I bother making a 'feature' request ;P) i don't see it as a problem, considering there are many sync programs that already do this, as long as your not syncing the same folder on the same folder structure (sync itself with itself on itself ;))

I'm using the the latest 1,3,106.

I want to sync 2 folders on the same PC (mirror them, they're on 2 different drives) however BTSync wont allow it.

Please take a moment to read the Unofficial FAQ as your question is answered there.

I get the error "Selected folder is already added to BitTorrent Sync.

Please take a moment to read the Unofficial Troubleshooting FAQ as this is also answered there.

Is there a way to mirror sync 1 folder (which is actually on another PC) on 1 device across 2 or more target folders on the same device?

In short, no.

if not, why not?

Because Sync's primary purpose is to keep your files in sync across devices - not across hard drives. (i.e it's not a "mirroring" program).

Also, consider how Sync works - if it were to allow you to "mirror" between two locations on the same computer, this would be a VERY inefficient way of doing so, given that Sync relies on "peer-to-peer" technology, meaning that data would need to pass through at least one other device, causing lots of network traffic just to essentially "copy" something from one location to another on your computer.

If you need to "mirror" a folder on your computer to another location on your computer, consider using an external NAS drive - also running Sync - and "mirror" to that, or perhaps select a more suitable software solution for your particular "mirroring" needs.

maybe its me but your responses reek of sarcasm?

I'm already using a NAS for mirroring remotely, that wasn't the reason why i posted...sync is sync, its not restricted as you have defined it. Perhaps BTSync has these restrictions (thus the OP), but certainly not by any definition of "Synchronization".

please lock this thread or delete it.

• 7 years later...

It is nice to have such ability. My use case is: I have a NAS with massive storage. My laptop internal hard drive is small, so I basically save most of my projects on a portable drive. What I want is: turn off the selective sync on my NAS folder and turn on selective sync on the two folders on my internal hard drive and portable drive. So whenever I plug  in my portable drive to my laptop, all content on this portable drive will sync to the NAS folder and any changes on my internal hard drive will sync to the same folder on the nas as well. Basically, what i want is two different folders on my laptop can "combine"into one folder( not actually combine)  and nas sync with this "combined" folder.