Can I Use Sync For My Company?

Tagette

I want to use BitTorrent Sync for a company I'm starting up. We are an indie game development company and are looking for a solution to sync our media files such as textures, audio and videos without clogging up the repository with unnecessary files.

I was wondering what the rules are for development in an independent company.

I've been using it for my company for a while to move backup files offiste. I've never seen any disclamer or legal terms that would prevent you using it commercially 

In their EULA under license it says non-commercial.

"Subject to your compliance with these terms and conditions, BitTorrent, Inc. grants you a royalty-free, non-exclusive, non-transferable license to use the Software, solely for your personal, non-commercial purposes. BitTorrent, Inc. reserves all rights in the Software not expressly granted to you here."

I was wondering if this prevents companies from using their software as an internal tool. Could we get in trouble for using their software?

Edited by Tagette

Guest proactiveservices

My understanding of the Sync API terms are that the commercial use allowance a) only applies to software using your own in-house developed application via the API and B) commercial use is "likely [to] change in the future". You also may not use any API-integrated software with any NAS or other devices.

I believe this effectively means that using BitTorrent Sync for commercial purposes is prohibited, as use of BTSync itself is not explicitly stated in the API terms - only use of the API and software that uses the API is permitted.

After emailing syncbiz@bittorrent.com I received an email which states:

We are actually in the process of setting up a new EULA for customers such as yourself who would like to use Sync in a business environment.  We will be offering some early adopter pricing while the product is still in Beta that will be good for 1 year, include support and all updates.