Read-Only Linux Peer Shows All Files Need Syncing In 2 Of 3 Folders

trevellyan

Four of 5 peers are on OS X 10.9.4. The Linux peer is a VPS running Ubuntu 14.04 x86 LTS - BTSync was installed using tuxpoldo's unofficial server packages. All peers sync 2 folders, selected peers sync 2 additional folders, the Linux peer syncs all folders. BTSync version is 1.3.106.

I noticed today in the device list on the Mac clients that they want to send the entire contents of 2 folders to the Linux peer (43,201 files in one, 391 files in the other). Of course, the entire contents of both folders have not changed. At the same time, the upload and download speed indicators remain at 0.0 kB/s.

I've tried restarting the Linux peer and quitting and reopening BTSync on one of the Macs, but nothing changed.

I don't see any !sync files in any of the folders.

trevellyan

Of course, the entire contents of both folders have not changed. 

Do you mean on Macs and Linux or only on Macs? If files were changed (mtime updated) on Linux side, Macs will indicate the corresponding amount of files to be uploaded to it, but they will not be uploaded. 

Were files in these two folders previously synced to Linux before you saw 'upload' on Macs' side? 

Could you please collect full debug logs from one Mac and Linux and send them to syncapp@bittorrent.com. In the message put link to this topic and please, provide the requested details. Thank you. 

The files were not changed en masse on any peer, though it's likely that a small percentage of files were changed on the Macs, since these folders are active. The Linux peer only has read-only secrets and no files are ever changed there, at least not knowingly.

Everything was fully synced before this behavior started.

I will work on collecting logs from the VPS and one of the Macs.

The outcome of this process was unexpected. When I set up debug logging and restarted BTSync, one of the two problem folders successfully synced. I let everything run for a while, then disabled debug logging and restarted BTSync again. At this point the second problem folder successfully synced.

I'm going to send in the logs anyway, since I'm very curious to find out if there's an explanation.