Rebuild Required For Wd Mycloud Fw 4

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Kryptonit3

It is not something new, though unusual for Linux-based boxes. I do not know what stands behind WD's decision to migrate to 64k page - this question is better to be addressed by WD representatives.

Also, how difficult would it be for the dev team to whip up a quick 64k version?

It requires some effort to set up a new build process with new toolchain on our build server. We would like to do it in future, but It is not planned yet.

• 4 weeks later...

...there are trillions of WD owners..

"Trillions"?! Really?! 'cause there are only 7.125 billion people on the planet! :P Given that 1 trillion = a thousand billion, that'd mean that every single person in the world owns around 140 WD devices?(!)

However, BitTorrent are aware of the interest in WD support, and as RomanZ's has previous indicated on a number of occasions: We want to support WD new firmware in future, but I cannot claim any plans / ETAs due to project status (beta) ... we'd like to support WD storage... but it won't be for Sync 1.4

I Know is difficult but we would really appreciate if we get at least a roadmap draft. It appears BTsync is now heading to 2.0 alpha version,but we don't know if that means there's no gonna be a 1.5 version neither if that version will support WD MyCloud. I'm not upgrading my NAS firmware because I use BTSync a lot to sync from my lap and avoid time machine and the like because I'm only interested in backing up my files not any other lap config and alike.

So please share some insights on an estimated date/month we could expect support. Of course without that being a compromise.

Thank you in advance.

So please share some insights on an estimated date/month we could expect support. Of course without that being a compromise.

Unfortunately, to my knowledge, there isn't an estimated date/month when you can expect such support.

As you'll appreciate if you have a look through the Feature Request's forum, there are numerous requests for Sync to be supported on all manner of devices/OS's, including Firefox OS, PlayStation, OpenBSD, WindowsRT, Android x86, MIPS, ChromeOS, Blackberry... to name just some!

...and so realistically, they're not ALL going to be supported whilst Sync remains in Beta!

However, on a more positive note - specifically in relation to WD storage - the devs have clearly indicated that they do "want to support WD new firmware in future" - which is a stronger indication than has been given in relation to some of the other requested devices/OS's!

So whilst there's no specific ETA at present, hopefully you can take some comfort in the knowledge that the devs are certainly aware of a desire for such support and they do want to support these devices at some stage in the future.

• 1 month later...

Hi again,

It's been almost 2 months since last comment and I'd like to know if there are any news regarding this topic of supporting WD MyCloud. 

I've seen you're partnering somehow with other NAS manufactures to have official (Netgear, QNAP, Seagate, SnapServer) BTSync Support. Is there anything similar for WD?

Thank you in advance for your reply.

• 2 weeks later...

There are currently no plans to support the single drive WD My Cloud when 2.0 launches. 

We are only packaging Sync for NAS which have an app store. With the current firmware (v04.01.02-417) for the single drive WD My Cloud, there is no app store. 

WD does have an app store for the EX2 and EX4 My Cloud and we have worked on packages for these two models. We do hope to release packages of Sync 2.0 for the EX2/EX4 when 2.0 launches. 

Mogarick, unfortunately we're stuck between a rock and a hard place. I think there may have been some confusion in conveying what we will support because "My Cloud" is a term which applies to multiple products: some of which we hope to support and some which we are unable to support. That Sync worked sideloaded on the single drive My Cloud when it first shipped, and that a later firmware update broke compatibility for all sideloaded applications is certainly frustrating for all of us. 

For the single drive My Cloud, it falls into the category of unable to support largely for two reasons: 

• Lack of a built-in app store for easy installation - the install process for Sync should not require SSH
  • 64k kernel memory alignment - requires custom building the Sync binary

We're happy to provide an off-the-shelf ARM binary for users to install themselves because that one ARM binary can be run on many different platforms. While cross compiling Sync just for My Cloud 64k alignment shouldn't be terribly difficult, that effort doesn't make sense if the only WD owners that'll be able to use Sync are those skilled enough to use SSH. As more than the 64k problem, lack of an app store is the bigger blocker for us. QNAP, Netgear, and Seagate support are possible because they have an app store. Overland Storage including Sync in their firmware is possible because we have a business relationship with them. Unfortunately WD neither has an app store nor do we have a business relationship with them.

I specifically used the words "at launch" because I did not want to exclude the possibility of supporting this device later. I do hope that WD implements an app store and switches to a hybrid 64k/4k kernel like they did with the My Cloud EX2/EX4. We want Sync on such a prevalent device too.

You mentioned that you have not upgraded the firmware of your device. As long as you're able to keep that firmware version you should still be able to run our normal ARM binary for 2.0 when it's released. 

Hi Richard-bt,

I am a new owner of a wdmycloud and can see the benefits of sync as a solution with my network needs and have been following this thread with great interest.

Perhaps  Magarick or some other more knowledgeable user will probably correct me if I am wrong,  but from my limited reasearching of installing sync on the WDMycloud it has always been necessary to use ssh to install sync and as you have said:-

"While cross compiling Sync just for My Cloud 64k alignment shouldn't be terribly difficult"

why not just do it for those who have already  invested the time  and effort to integrate sync into their NAS solution but need the stability/performance that V4 offers?

So am i correct in saying that you guys are working on getting it into the WD app store for the ex2/ex4 models? and hopefully have that at launch of 2.0? I know not to ask for dates and deadlines because it is difficult when programming for hundreds of devices and what not. 

you also said "I do hope that WD implements an app store and switches to a hybrid 64k/4k kernel like they did with the My Cloud EX2/EX4" so is the ex4 kernel actually a 64k/4k kernel or are you referencing that you want an app store for the other my cloud units. If they do run a 64k/4k kernel does that mean we can still ssh the arm version of BT sync for the ex4 models?

progers885,

> why not just do it for those who have already...

We can't justify the extra engineering and maintenance costs for a specially built binary just for these users; especially when our efforts are so focused on Sync 2.0. While "not terribly difficult" it's still no small amount of work.

We do regularly review our options for NAS; and as soon as the support for applications on the single drive My Cloud improves I suspect it'll be a forerunning option. 

studdmufin,

> So am i correct in saying that you guys are working on getting it into the WD app store for the ex2/ex4 models? and hopefully have that at launch of 2.0?

Packages of Sync 2.0 for the EX2/EX4 should be available on our download page at launch. 

>  is the ex4 kernel actually a 64k/4k kernel or are you referencing that you want an app store for the other my cloud units

Both. I would like an app store available on all of the My Cloud devices because that would allow a user to install Sync with an easy point-and-click interface. 

With the firmware I used a few weeks ago, the EX2/EX4 kernels were indeed hybrid 64k/4k allowing for our regular ARM binary to work. The only catch was that the EX4 needed to have /proc/cpu/alignment set to 2 ("fixup"). On EX4 the alignment wasn't set to fixup while the same firmware version for the EX2 was set to fixup. You may want to consider scripting setting alignment 2 fixup when starting Sync because it will revert to the stock setting when your NAS restarts. 

If you wanted to install Sync yourself on your EX4 with SSH, I think it'd be possible. It has been some weeks, though, since I last tried so I can't be 100% sure that all this is still the case.

We can't justify the extra engineering and maintenance costs for a specially built binary just for these users; especially when our efforts are so focused on Sync 2.0. While "not terribly difficult" it's still no small amount of work.

Aren't those users who skilled enough to use ssh are the early adopters and the core of your initial reputation? BTSync is very frustrating lately with issues like this, just bought a WD cloud since btsync did not work on Seagate Central before to find out that I can not use it on WD Cloud anymore and there is no support from your side and attitude gives no hope on such a support in future.

Off to try how Syncthing will work out for me.