BeTheSync

Resourceforks And Aliases On A Mac Are Synced Endlessly

Recommended Posts

Hi,

 

I was hoping this was solved with Version 1.3.109 (1.3.109) but the problem resides.

 

I have a source share on a Mac, which is the Desktop, living in /Users/me/Desktop.

I too, have a source share /Users/me/Documents on the same Mac, which is my Documents Folder.

 

On the Desktop I have Aliases for files in some subfolders in my Documents.

 

Say, some files like /Users/me/Documents/company/foo/bar1/important123.xls have an Aliases on my Desktop

 

When I change an important123.xls file, I usualy doubleclick the Alias on the Desktop, then Excel opens

and I do some things and quit Excel while saving the edited file.

 

BTSync should then recognize the change in the important123.xls file and sync it to a linux server with the same version of btsync and a read-only secret.

 

But the syncing process never ends, or better, it starts over and over again, even though I did not change any important123.xls file for hours. Also, the Aliases are synced over and over again.

 

Its not happening all the time, but when this is happen, the process takes an hour and the CPU of the mac is sweating while the fans are running like hell :-)

 

 

This is a censored screenshot:

post-31764-0-86759600-1407709804_thumb.p

 

 

P.S.

I'd love to add a log from the mac, but unfortunately, its includes too much sensitive filenames and foldernames, so its not possible. Is there anywhere a "log-anonymizer" which just let the user anonymize the sensitive data? find&replace will take ages and I can't spend that time, i'm sorry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BeTheSync,

 

You may add them to .SyncIgnore. You need to open .SyncIgnore on both (!) devices, add the following lines there: 

*com.apple.FinderInfo 
*com.apple.metadata:_kMDItemUserTags 
*com.apple.ResourceFork 
*com.apple.metadata:kMDItemFinderComment 
*com.apple.metadata:kMDItemStarRating 
*com.apple.metadata:kMDItemOMUserTagTime 
*com.apple.metadata:kMDItemOMUserTags 
*com.apple.metadata:kMDItemOMUserTagTime

 

re-add the folder to BitTorrent Sync again (so that the edited .SyncIgnore was already in the folder when you add it). 

 

Or you might wait for the new version which will be released soon, where syncing xattrs to Linux will be fixed. 

 

If you pick to edit .SyncIgnore and would still experience CPU usage, please, write to syncapp@bittorrent.com, put link to this topic. I'll provide further instructions for you there. And yes, logs would be much appreciated from both PCs. I've provided instruction on how to make them anonymous in your linked topic. Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
You may add them to .SyncIgnore. You need to open .SyncIgnore on both (!) devices, add the following lines there: 

*com.apple.FinderInfo 

*com.apple.metadata:_kMDItemUserTags 

*com.apple.ResourceFork 

*com.apple.metadata:kMDItemFinderComment 

*com.apple.metadata:kMDItemStarRating 

*com.apple.metadata:kMDItemOMUserTagTime 

*com.apple.metadata:kMDItemOMUserTags 

*com.apple.metadata:kMDItemOMUserTagTime

 

Here's what I added some weeks ago to both .SyncIgnores:

 

# xattr foo: http://forum.bittorrent.com/topic/28628-sync-never-ends-after-v13-crashes-when-adding-new-folder/

com.apple.FinderInfo

com.apple.metadata:_kMDItemUserTags

com.apple.ResourceFork

com.apple.metadata:kMDItemFinderComment

com.apple.metadata:kMDItemStarRating

com.apple.metadata:kMDItemOMUserTagTime

com.apple.metadata:kMDItemOMUserTags

com.apple.metadata:kMDItemOMUserTagTime

#

 

 

Comparing your Text and mine, they're seem identical.

Beside, I don't have those * at the begining!

 

What I don't recall, is if I re-Added the Folder again after restarting the btsync's on both machines.

 

So I will now remove and add the said folder again. Thank you for that hint!

 

 

Or you might wait for the new version which will be released soon, where syncing xattrs to Linux will be fixed.

That seems pretty fine to me :-)

but, when a fixed version is out, do I have to remove those lines from all my .SyncIgnores before updating, or will they just "ignored" when found in the .SyncIgnores?

 

I'm just asking, because I copied the above to all my .SyncIgnores because of the massive text overflow in the logfiles, which was then reduced drastically to a readable minimum.

 

Again, Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
What I don't recall, is if I re-Added the Folder again after restarting the btsync's on both machines.

 

So I will now remove and add the said folder again. Thank you for that hint!

I deleted and re-added that /User/me/Documents folder yesterday and today there is no change within btsync. (only on the mac which is the source of the files)

btsync is still syncing the Aliasses from the Desktop and the xls files from the Documents folder every 5-15 minutes.

 

I will now try to put the wildcards (*com.apple....) into my .SyncIgnores on both shares.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This seems to do the job! (for this particular share)

Unfortunately, it does not work for files created *after* making those changes in the .SyncIgnores and re-adding the folder.

All files/Aliasses created by me yesterday night, show up again in the transfer log endlessly.

 

I'll wait until the fix comes :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.