[Solved] Question On Gui Settings To The Backend Btsync.conf File

FlackMaguire

I am writing trying to figure out how BT Sync works when installed on a server in regards to settings.

I have BTSync installed on a server running CENTOS 6.5.

It is running fine.

Here is my question.  When I go into the front end gui and change the field under "Device Name", it changes just fine in the front end gui and reflects that change.

However, when I go into the server via Putty and then go look at the btsync.conf file, it shows that field as the default of "My Sync Device". 

This remains true even if I kill and restart BTSync and even if I use the following:

./btsync --config btsync.conf

Let me say again that the whole set-up is actually working.  I am just trying to get a solid feel for how everything flows.  I am a little puzzled why I am not seeing the changes made through the front end gui to also reflect in the backend on the btsync.conf file.

Thanks for the help.

I appreciate the help here and the feedback.

I understand that I can change all things in the sync.conf file and it will reflect in the GUI.

My challenge is that then nothing I do as changes on the GUI reflect back to sync.conf. It actually tricks you a little because it shows those changes in the GUI for as along as BTSync continues to run.  But, on anything like a server reboot, those changes in the GUI are wiped out and it goes back to whatever is in btsync.conf.

This prevents me from being able to set-up BTSync on the server for less technical folks because the GUI really cannot truly change anything, at least permanently.  I also do not know if the changes shown in the GUI, which get wiped out at each restart because those changes are not getting pushed into btsync.conf, are actually how BTSync is running.

Any thoughts on why the changes from the GUI are not writing to btsync.conf?

I have checked file permissions against what it shows as needed by others online in terms of using BTSync and all seems identical.

Unfortunately, I am stumped here.

FlackMaguire,

Any thoughts on why the changes from the GUI are not writing to btsync.conf?

This is by design, once you've chosen to manually set Sync parameters via the config. We need to consider a way to warn people that if started with a config, no changes in UI will be pushed to the config. 

We spent a long time trying to work all sorts of permission issues on the server to see if something was being blocked.

Could I suggest a super simple short term solution to this for this now?  How about just leaving some comments at the top of the btsync.conf file itself?

And, I have read in multiple places that if you enter any shared folders into the btsync.conf file via a manual process (not using the GUI front end), that you can no longer add any shared folders from the front in GUI.  That is clear to understand in the notes in the btsync.conf file itself as well as documented online.

So, can I still enter shared folders from the front end GUI even while I changed things like the listening port in the btsync.conf file but did not change anything down lower in btsync.conf in terms of defining shared folders?

Thanks again for the help here.

FlackMaguire,

Could I suggest a super simple short term solution to this for this now?  How about just leaving some comments at the top of the btsync.conf file itself?

Thank you!

So, can I still enter shared folders from the front end GUI even while I changed things like the listening port in the btsync.conf file but did not change anything down lower in btsync.conf in terms of defining shared folders?

Yes, you can. Shared folders are committed in config, so if you enable them in config, you will not be able to use GUI. As config says: 

/* !!! if you set shared folders in config file WebUI will be DISABLED !!!   shared directories specified in config file   override the folders previously added from WebUI.*/