Limit Of 50 Peers Per Tracker?

getabc

Hi Guys,

We started using the API and have successfully installed and remotely configured the sync service on about 130 windows players connected to 3G.

We currently have 2 Linux servers configured with a 'full access' key to initially serve the content. All the players and servers can directly connect to each other over the OpenVPN connection and the players are setup with a read-only key. We setup a listen port of 40000 on the players and 40001/40002 on the servers to eliminate any firewall issues.

We noticed that only the first 50 players in the network will connect and sync with the primary Linux servers. The rest of the players will do nothing even after numerous reboots and reconfiguration. If we setup a second secret key on the failed windows player it connects and downloads from the servers.

I found the following link, but not sure if we are experiencing the same problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Andrew

----------------------

{
"dir": "\\\\?\\C:\\Sync\\Apps\\nodejs",
"error": 0,
"files": 1175,
"indexing": 0,
"secret": "<KEY>",
"size": 6250290,
"type": "read_only"
}
{
"device_name": "AO1-81B16E",
"disk_low_priority": 1,
"download_limit": 0,
"external_port": "0",
"folder_rescan_interval": "600",
"lan_encrypt_data": 1,
"lang": 4294967295,
"listening_port": 40000,
"log_size": "10",
"max_file_size_diff_for_patching": "1000",
"max_file_size_for_versioning": "1000",
"rate_limit_local_peers": 0,
"recv_buf_size": "5",
"send_buf_size": "5",
"sync_max_time_diff": "600",
"sync_trash_ttl": "30",
"upload_limit": 0, "use_upnp": 1
}
{ "version": "1.3.106" }

----------------------
"dir": "\\\\?\\C:\\Sync\\Apps\\nodejs",
"error": 0,
"files": 0,
"indexing": 0,
"secret": "<KEY>",
"size": 0,
"type": "read_only"
}
{
"device_name": "AO1-81B1C0",
"disk_low_priority": 1,
"download_limit": 0,
"external_port": "0",
"folder_rescan_interval": "600",
"lan_encrypt_data": 1,
"lang": 4294967295,
"listening_port": 40000,
"log_size": "10",
"max_file_size_diff_for_patching": "1000",
"max_file_size_for_versioning": "1000",
"peer_expiration_days": "7",
"rate_limit_local_peers": 0,
"recv_buf_size": "5",
"send_buf_size": "5",
"sync_max_time_diff": "600",
"sync_trash_ttl": "30",
"upload_limit": 0,
"use_upnp": 1
}
{ "version": "1.3.109" }
----------------------

Yes - you've reached the 50 peer limit.

See also this thread and this thread.

The ability to configure this limit in the future is being considered by the developers - although this may end up being applicable only to Sync Enterprise/Sync for Business, rather than to the "consumer" edition of Sync.

So, you may wish to consider adding your voice to the second thread I've linked to above in the Feature Request forum, and you could also investigate BitTorrent Bundles for distributing your content en masse instead.

@getabc, given that the current free offering of Sync is intended primarily for personal/home/consumer use, it's unlikely that the vast majority of home user's would need to sync a folder with more than 50 devices (the average personal/home user probably wouldn't even have/own 50 devices!).... which is why the ability to raise/configure this 50-peer limit will likely be a feature for the Enterprise/Business version of Sync once that emerges.

I'm afraid I have no additional news to share on Sync Enterprise/Sync for Business at this time, although you can register your interest by following the instructions in this topic.

In the meantime, the "workaround", as you have eluded to would be to use more than one secret to enable your content to distribute to 130 devices (i.e. on the machine you're distributing from setup 3 folders, each containing the same content, and each one added to Sync with a different secret). You'd then split your 130 devices into 3 groups (each with less than 50 devices in), and give each group a different one of the three Secrets. Not ideal, but a workaround non the less.

The alternative, as I mentioned, would be to investigate using BitTorrent Bundles