Recommended Download Link For Linux Packagers

If you want a "/latest"-type link format, what's wrong with the existing ".../track/stable" links?! i.e.

download-new.utorrent.com/endpoint/btsync/os/windows/track/stable

download-new.utorrent.com/endpoint/btsync/os/osx/track/stable

download-new.utorrent.com/endpoint/btsync/os/linux-i386/track/stable

...etc

If you want a "/latest"-type link format, what's wrong with the existing ".../track/stable" links?! i.e.

download-new.utorrent.com/endpoint/btsync/os/windows/track/stable

download-new.utorrent.com/endpoint/btsync/os/osx/track/stable

download-new.utorrent.com/endpoint/btsync/os/linux-i386/track/stable

...etc

You already answered your own question...

Please be aware that the main download site (www.bittorrent.com/sync/download) and the site where direct download links are published (syncapp.bittorrent.com/x.x.x) are generally not both updated at the same time! They can often be several days or more out of sync.

Just to be clear, a packager needs:

• a hard link to the source code or pre-built binaries from upstream
  • a way to build the package for a specific distro
  • a place to put the package so others can access it

This way, a webpage can be created that provides the packages as follows:

bittorrent sync version 1.4.83

<slackbuild script link>

<upstream binaries tarball 32bit link> - <slackware package link>

<upstream binaries tarball 64bit link> - <slackware64 package link>

bittorrent sync version 1.4.82

<slackbuild script link>

bittorrent sync version 1.4.75

<slackbuild script link>

etc, etc, etc...

Providing packages for all versions (not just the latest) helps people test things and if they find a particular version to be buggy they can always downgrade to a working version, or keep testing the buggy one.

We are willing to provide all of this ourselves but, as things stand now, we have to do it manually.

It would help A LOT if you guys help us automate the creation of packages for specific distros as it will mean that your program will reach more people.

Providing packages for all versions (not just the latest) helps people test things and if they find a particular version to be buggy they can always downgrade to a working version, or keep testing the buggy one.

Direct links are actually provided to the last few Beta builds as well as the most recent.

However, if a bug is discovered in the latest beta build, it can be identified/fixed a lot quicker if people provide feedback/submit bug reports/debug logs, and work with the devs/Sync Support to narrow down and identify the problem. If users just decide to revert back to an earlier build instead, that doesn't help the devs identify/resolve the cause of your issue!

Therefore, users are generally encouraged to use the most recent beta build for their operating system wherever possible, and if a bug is encountered to work with the devs to provide feedback in order for the bug to be fixed - that's the whole point of Sync being in "Beta" right now!

Direct links are actually provided to the last few Beta builds as well as the most recent.

However, if a bug is discovered in the latest beta build, it can be identified/fixed a lot quicker if people provide feedback/submit bug reports/debug logs, and work with the devs/Sync Support to narrow down and identify the problem. If users just decide to revert back to an earlier build instead, that doesn't help the devs identify/resolve the cause of your issue!

Therefore, users are generally encouraged to use the most recent beta build for their operating system wherever possible, and if a bug is encountered to work with the devs to provide feedback in order for the bug to be fixed - that's the whole point of Sync being in "Beta" right now!

What I said does not invalidate your point...

Users can, and should, contact devs with bug reports.

All I'm saying is users should also be allowed to revert to a previous version if the latest has a bug that prevents correct use of the application (or some important part of the application) while the latest version is being fixed.

I'm sure you agree that users, that gracefully test your software and report bugs, should not be without the use of said software while the bugs (they previously reported) are being squashed.

Just because software is "beta" quality, users should not have to suffer needlessly.

• 3 months later...