Blank Gui After Update To 1.4

Merlin, the registry "fix" ONLY works in cases where there's just plain text/no images/random layout in the UI. If you've got a completely blank UI - which you will have if you're using XP - this fix won't work.

In your case, as you're using Windows XP (apologies, I missed that bit of critical info in your original post!), I'm afraid you're out of luck - Sync 1.4 isn't compatible with Windows XP, due to the fact that XP can't run anything higher than IE8.

You would therefore need to use Sync 1.3.109 instead.

OK, so I'm sad because to run BTSync at my work (WXP), I need the "Proxy" functionality...

Also I want to use approvals for security !

Not that I would retract anything I suggested so far, but I have actually debugged and resolved this issue [without the source code] - BTSync can send a cheque when they actually make money from it :)

First, I simply assumed BTSync is not directly responsible and that it is the IE plugin's fault - which seems a safe assumption. The IE plugin works pretty straightforward, you simply give it files and it serves them.  Also, the symptoms seems pretty much that CSS was not being served to the embedded browser. I could especially reinforce this line of thinking when I also started looking at Syncthing and got almost an identical issue, but this time on three browsers FF, IE and Chrome.   So if neither BTSync and Syncthing explicitly set their CSS mimes in their HTML head tags, on windows, the registry would be used to determine the mimetype.  So I checked.

For whatever reason, it seems there are a lot of Windows machines for which the HKCR\\.css type is set to text/plain - which according to W3C spec would be considered invalid by the UA (browsers).  I corrected this and suddenly Syncthing was up and running on 3 different browsers.  Then upgraded BTSync to 1.4 again and boom - now works like a charm!

Suggestions:

• I'll keep to my mantra of adding a HTTP daemon and CLI to windows distro instead of embedding IE
  • However, for now, BT should update 1.4 to explicitly set the type attr of the HTML linking the CSS so BTSync is independent of the OS mimetypes - minimizing points of failure
  • And in the meantime, win users could simply correct their registry mimetype to get BTSync 1.4 to work.

Enjoy!

Same thing fixed mine here... css was set to text/plain.  Changing it to text/css fixed it right up.

+1

Seeing a blank page after I upgrade. I am using Windows 7 enterprise with IE 11 behind a corporate firewall. I have tried resetting security but no dice. Also tried a reinstall. Everything worked fine before. I used a vpn to direct connect to peers at home with 1.3 and was looking forward to using the proxy feature in 1.4. But i cannot configure it now.

Also + 1

for all of those complaining about 1.4 relying on IE. I recongnize this problem is likely due to IE. What a terrible piece of software to depend on. If we are going to use a web interface we might as well be able to use whatever browser we want. I only use IE to download firefox/chrome, and it is possibly the most disfuctional browser out there.

Just installed the latest 1.4 minor update and I am still seeing this issue. Dang...

I have tried to clear all IE data. I have tried a reinstall and clearing the Bittorrent Sync application data in the Roaming folder. Still no luck

I am looking at doing a repair install of IE11 now, it looks complicated though.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got the auto-update of 1.4.-72on my Synology 409 and now I got a blank window as well. 

Please note:

This is on Mac OSX 10.9.4 - I tried Safari, Chrome and Firefox (all latest builds available).

Also I noticed, the btsync process takes 150MB RAM on the Syno (which is lots on this old chap). Can I somehow force it to purge btsync's memory?

I've been installing sync on XP boxes all day, and at least the version I have tells me that it will enable the localhost:8888 gui, I install firefox, connect to it, and it works just fine.  1.4.83 (sorry, original said 1.4.75)

In fact, the web gui is easier to use and has one feature I need that the regular interface doesn't, which is being able to add a folder just knowing the key, w/o all this c/p crap.  I'm trying to figure out how to enable the HTTP interface on a permanent basis, since the installer is obviously capable of it.  And the headless versions have it as well, like on FreeNAS, etc.  Even better I'd like it to not just listen on 127.0.0.1 and be accessible over our VPN.

Edited by mrcpu

I just got the auto-update of 1.4.-72on my Synology 409 and now I got a blank window as well. 

Please note:

This is on Mac OSX 10.9.4 - I tried Safari, Chrome and Firefox (all latest builds available).

Also I noticed, the btsync process takes 150MB RAM on the Syno (which is lots on this old chap). Can I somehow force it to purge btsync's memory?

I just updated to 1.4.83-8... no change... The Javascript stack starts running, but nothing is added to the body.... (Same devices as above)

@doubledeej / @ugumba - what internet security/anti virus software do you both run? Let's see if we can find a connection here!

(also, @doubledeej - what OS are you running?)

I am also having this issue with Blank Sync Screens.

I Run Windows 8.1 and i have IE11 installed.

previous v1.4 was working it was after an auto update that gave me the blank screen.

i am trying to avoid having to reinstall it.

Cheers

@wwlee

Could you please:

1) pack your %programfiles%\BitTorrent Sync folder content

2) pack your %appdata%\BitTorrent Sync folder (just exclude sync.dat, sync.dat.old and settings.dat, settings.dat.old files as they contain your private information)

and send to me? It looks like something went really wrong with your installation, and I'd like to see what exactly. Most likely full app cleanup and reinstall will help you, but I'd prefer to understand what happened.

@all,

open the Registry editor  Go to [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.css] and see if there is "Content Type"="text/css" string. If you don't have it, try creating it: right-click on the field, and pick New- > Sting Value. Name - Content Type. Then right click on it and pick "Modify" and put text/css into "Volume data" field.

@tiptronic

Can you provide your javascript console output so we can take a look what happens there? Also, which browsers you tried to open the WebUI? Is it simply blank or it shows something like "Page cannot be found", etc.?

Hi Roman,

it is simply blank.... 

In Google Chrome the UI sometimes shows 'Welcome to BitTorrent Sync' (after a while), but then stops there. Console is also blank. At this point I am able to open Preferences. When clicking the UI preferences, there are chances, the UI finally loads - but not before messing with the UI preferences.

In Safari I found out, that if I open the Web-Inspector and follow the network-request, the last request doesn't come back most of the times... but sometimes it comes back after 30 seconds or a minute or more (this is on a 1Gbit LAN).

Fonts (e.g. opensans-regular.woff have a mime-type of text/html - that should be "application/x-woff" anyway). Maybe the whole font-declaration in your css is not correct - that would explain those IE problems. (Btw: why not remove theses fonts alltogether - or optionally load them - and fall back to Helvetica and Arial; I think this would solve lots of IE problems automatically)?

andy

Andy,

Could you please try to pack your storage folder (usually ".sync" folder which stays next to your binary) and send to me? Please also remove sync.dat and sync.dat.old files from archive as they contain your private information. I suspect that something is wrong with your webUI itself and it won't show - no matter which browser or device tries to open it. Please send it to me to syncapp@bittorrent.com, note this topic and the fact that file goes to "RomanZ".

Thanks!

@zbigb69

It's better to send it to syncapp@bittorrent.com. Pack it, the data there should deflate very well.

@matthewpapa

I checked your symptomes. Did you try what Helen suggested? If yes and it did not help - then please send your storage folder as well. Again, please get rid of sync.dat and sync.dat.old as it contains private info (and actually bears no value for blank UI debugging).