Blank Gui After Update To 1.4

If you're running Windows XP, Vista, or Windows Server 2003, sorry, but Sync 1.4 won't fully work for you and will cause a blank UI. Users of these OS's will need to run Sync 1.3.109 instead.

If however, you're running Windows 7, please ensure that Internet Explorer is up to date on your machine, as this should resolve your issue.

If you're running Windows XP, Vista, or Windows Server 2003, sorry, but Sync 1.4 won't fully work for you and will cause a blank UI. Users of these OS's will need to run Sync 1.3.109 instead.

If however, you're running Windows 7, please ensure that Internet Explorer is up to date on your machine, as this should resolve your issue.

Thank you for an answer. :)

I am on Windows 7, SP1. (As you can see from the Aero window, I am not running XP, but must to be runnning Vista, 7 or 8.)

Why would I have to update crapware (Internet Explorer) to run Bittorrent Sync? Some of my friends run the same OS without updated IE and they don't have problems.

Edited by 6724672467

As you can see from the Aero window, I am not running XP, but must to be runnning Vista, 7 or 8.

I'm fully aware of that, however this same issue also affects XP, and therefore for the benefit of any other forum members viewing this thread and running XP, I've provided the answer for them as well :P

Why would I have to update crapware (Internet Explorer) to run Bittorrent Sync?

Windows 7 shipped with IE8.

IE8 isn't supported by Sync 1.4.

If you've never updated IE on your Windows 7 machine and are still running IE8, this will be the cause of the blank UI.

The UI in Sync 1.4 is essentially web-based, and requires a minimum of IE9.

Some of my friends run the same OS without updated IE and they don't have problems.

If your friends are running Windows 7 with either IE9,10,or 11, they won't have this issue.

Hi There,

I just spotted your comment - 'the UI in Sync 1.4 is essentially web based'.....does this mean that if I do not have an internet connection that it will not work?  This could have serious consequences should I loose my connection on any one of the three peers I have running - even if they are on the same LAN in the same office ?? (1.3.109 connects directly without the internet, but if 1.4 requires the internet just to run its GUI then it won't work (will it?)) 

Hi There,

I just spotted your comment - 'the UI in Sync 1.4 is essentially web based'.....does this mean that if I do not have an internet connection that it will not work?

You misunderstand - by "web based", I mean HTML based. It requires IE9 (or later) to be installed on Windows, however, the HTML/Javascript/CSS components which make up the new web UI in Sync 1.4 are served "locally" - you do not need an internet connection in order to use the UI.

I can confirm that it works to update IE.

I was also not running Win7 SP1, I was running Win7 pure. If others have the same problem, note that you cannot install IE10 or 11 on Win7 pure. However, IE9 works fine and fixes the GUI problem after a restart.

My friend is running Win7 SP1, and it apparently has IE9.

I'm having a similar problem.  Only my GUI isn't completely blank, just all text.

Image: (forum wouldn't let me embed)

http://1drv.ms/1wFhnJm

And I'm running IE11.  This is happening on all three of the computers I have running BT Sync.

Any more ideas?

A few things spring to mind to check....

• Do you have any internet security/anti virus software installed that may be preventing the HTML-based Sync interface from displaying correctly?
  • Have you disabled scripting and/or changed security zone settings in IE? (try resetting zones to their defaults via Internet Options -> Security -> Reset all zones to default level)
  • Are you running IE in "Protected Mode"? (this setting is usually found via Internet Options -> Security -> Reset all zones to default level)

Also, as an aside, you can embed images into your posts - but you need to click the "Use Full Editor" button

A few things spring to mind to check....

• Do you have any internet security/anti virus software installed that may be preventing the HTML-based Sync interface from displaying correctly?
  • Have you disabled scripting and/or changed security zone settings in IE? (try resetting zones to their defaults via Internet Options -> Security -> Reset all zones to default level)
  • Are you running IE in "Protected Mode"? (this setting is usually found via Internet Options -> Security -> Reset all zones to default level)

Also, as an aside, you can embed images into your posts - but you need to click the "Use Full Editor" button

I have exactly the same issue - the UI is text only, and more or less unusable.

Windows 8.1, IE 11 on a Surface 2 Pro.

IE zones are at their defaults (the "Reset all zones..." button is disabled).

Protected mode is on for the Internet and Restricted zones.

Turning it off changed nothing.

Looking forward to a fix or workaround!  Thanks for a fantastic tool!

This version 14 is useless. Half of my friends are using XP and all of them hate IE, so they don't care about updating it.

There is an important rule for programmers: DON'T EVER MAKE YOUR APP DEPENDENT ON IE. For most people, IE is the enemy.

I'm currently running win8, but will go back to 7, and I also don't care about IE and I disable a lot of stuff in it for security reasons (IE will become completely useless).

But even if I leave it intact, this new version is very slow (the UI is moving slowly), and I have a strong PC.

Web technology es meant for the web, not desktop applications.

But if you stick with it, fine. It's a free app and you have the right to do what you want.

Where can I download the older working version?

@doubledeej / @ugumba - what internet security/anti virus software do you both run? Let's see if we can find a connection here!

(also, @doubledeej - what OS are you running?)

I use Microsoft Defender (OS default).  Disabling real-time monitoring didn't change anything.

Windows Firewall is also enabled - disabling doesn't help.

There are 2 rules enabled: BitTorrent Sync (TCP-In and UDP-In).

Is the WebUI supposed to be accessible from browsers?  I can't see an option for it in the text rendering of the UI, and trying to access it on the BTSync port (34955) fails.

I have a 1.3.106 client on another PC, and I just verified that syncing with 1.4 on my Surface works fine.

Is the WebUI supposed to be accessible from browsers? I can't see an option for it in the text rendering of the UI, and trying to access it on the BTSync port (34955) fails.

Not on Windows. Sync on Windows doesn't run a httpd daemon, and therefore, you can't access Sync from another browser or through a specific port, only through the Sync UI.

Hi all,

I have the same problem with v1.4.72 on my FreeNAS 8.3.1 Server. I have updated with FreeBSD Sync files v1.4.72, but now, just a blank page is showing.

With the top command, i see, the btsync is used CPU, and show like it works, but, i'm not sure, if work ok.

Can you please check this version, i think it is a bug.

FreNAS has nothing to do with IE, or Windows, but the same problem on Web GUI of btsync, like on first post image here on this topic.

On starting btsync, i see this:

BitTorrent Sync forked to background. pid = 67026. default port = 8888

and if i go to my server IP port 8888 (like in 1.3, wich it has perfectly worked), now is just a blank page, without any errors, or somthing.

Not the same on my Linux Fedora 20.
Here, on Fedora Linux, i see the Web GUI like it should be, it works fine.
The same version, 1.4.72, like on my FreeNAS.

I'm sure, it is a bug on this 1.4.72 version. Please fix it.

Thank you.

Edited by Silwanyx

P.S.: It is now showing the GUI, but, it take tooo long to showing it up, about 3-4 hours.

This is too long. But, ok, maybe indexing, or somewhat, but, it still showing an info, what it doing, then, ok for waiting, if is showing what is going on.

Please, add some infos, if the indexing take to long.

Thank you

Regards