Latest Desktop Build 1.4.72

GreatMarko

Hi Folks,
  Sync 1.4.72 is now available for manual download from the main site (or via direct links here)

Note: This build isn't yet available via auto-update

New in 1.4
New simplified UI

• UI was fully revised and now looks similar on all platforms. Also, UI was simplified significantly to make Sync usage faster, more understandable and convenient.

HTTPS links support

• HTTPS links can be produced by Sync, shared over non-secure channels and used on remote peer to exchange Keys securely, using X.509 certificates

Proxy server support added

•  Direct connection is possible if only one of two peers resides behind the proxy though

Finder / Explorer integration added

•  Right-clicking the folder in Explorer / Finder exposes "Share with BitTorrent Sync" item, which adds the folder to Sync and automatically generates a Key (Secret).

Moved folders support

•  Sync tracks if synced folder moves and automatically adjusts paths to keep folder synced.

Sync performance optimization

•  Affects data transfer speed, CPU consumption, peers discovery.

Numerous bug fixes found by users in 1.3

The previous build change log (1.3.109) may be found here.

Important Notes on Sync 1.4:
Downgrade to 1.3 is not possible after installing Sync 1.4.
(If you wish to downgrade - please uninstall Sync removing all settings, then install 1.3 and configure all folders from scratch)

For Windows XP/Vista/Server 2003 users:
DO NOT INSTALL SYNC 1.4 - it's not fully compatible with these operating systems at this time. Please use Sync 1.3.109 instead, which is compatible with Sync 1.4.

For Windows Server 2008 users:
Sync 1.4 requires Internet Explorer 9 (or later). Windows Server 2008 originally shipped with IE7 (R2 with IE8). If you've never updated from IE7/8, Sync 1.4 will not function correctly (the UI will be blank). Updating to the latest version of Internet Explorer resolves this.

For Windows 7 users:
Sync 1.4 requires Internet Explorer 9 (or later). Windows 7 originally shipped with IE8. If you've never updated from IE8, Sync 1.4 will not function correctly (the UI will be blank). Updating to the latest version of Internet Explorer resolves this.

Well, I just downloaded and installed, as 1.3.109 did not recognise that an upgrade was possible and I have LOST ALL MY FOLDERS

WTF!!!!

OK, As I was writing this it seems that BTSync has found them all - but why OH Why put me through the shock and misery of thinking I was going to have to resync everything??  Can you PLEASE add a pop up to the sync start screen (GUI, Sorry :mellow: ) telling us all is OK and that the software is gathering info.  The first thing I saw was the pop up - to get started add a folder!! - and it is still there after finding all 8 of the current folders!

Phew, that had me worried for a while, but it now seems OK, although the MASSIVE window that seems to be un-sizable is a bit intrusive on the screen - the old one was bad enough, but this is much bigger?? - it is useful to be able to monitor what is going on, but not at the expense of over a quarter of my screen!

I missed out on the beta test of this 1.4 version, so you are going to get my feedback now I am afraid. 

1: The Gui is broken......I am unable to widen the field for folder name, or status, or peers (or any other option).  With such a large window I would have expected to be able to alter the width of each column to suit my needs in fact the side to side arrows appear when hovering over the title space (as expected in Windows) but it appears to not accept my input to slide the field to the left even though there is space available (a LOT of space now I have unchecked all the other options!)  This and the inability to make the whole window smaller than MASSIVE is a bit odd.  Especially given the 'menu bar' has but three radio buttons on it!  I think some serious thought needs to go into the real estate used up on this GUI - especially given the propensity for user to be using smaller and smaller screens these days! - there is NO WAY I will be putting this on my Win 8 tablet until this is fixed.

I will come back for more later  :D

I didn't have time to participate in the beta, so this is my quick first impression of the new GUI: love it. I'm finding it much more convenient and informative than the previous style.

1: The Gui is broken......I am unable to widen the field for folder name, or status, or peers (or any other option).  With such a large window I would have expected to be able to alter the width of each column to suit my needs in fact the side to side arrows appear when hovering over the title space (as expected in Windows) but it appears to not accept my input to slide the field to the left even though there is space available (a LOT of space now I have unchecked all the other options!)  This and the inability to make the whole window smaller than MASSIVE is a bit odd. 

DON'T PANIC! I had to hover the mouse around to "catch" the invisible thingy that allows resizing the columns. I think it only allows dragging the right side of a column. It is a bit touchy, and the bug is that the drag line is invisible, but it is draggable.

Yes, it would be nice if we could scale the screen up and down. It's needlessly massive on my 1366x768, but I haven't yet looked at it on my MacBook retina whose screen I run at native resolution. I suspect it will be just fine there.

Can you drag both ways??  I can only drag to the left - and I need to drag right to get more letters visible in the columns. I am currently all squeezed up to the left hand side!!  :wub:

Try to catch the invisible handle at the right side of the column in question, then drag that. The cursor will change when you're hovering over the right spot.

One beef: the history window needs to update in real time. Currently, I have to close and re-open it to see what's happened since the last time I opened. The history window is essential to maintaining a feeling of security when monitoring for a potential problem. Adding a refresh button to the history window won't really help: I want to be able to watch history as it unfolds in real time.

PANIC: An unidentified "remote peer" keeps overwriting new with old. I change a text file on my 1.4.72 Windows laptop, and my Windows laptop's history reflects the change with entries like "a few seconds ago" etc. After a minute or so, the newer entries in the Window's history have disappeared, and the history gets rolled back to the last time one of the remote peers updated the file--which it should never have done, by the way. Then the new file gets clobbered with the old one from the remote peer. Right now, my other online Windows laptop is still on 1.3.109. This is either a 1.4.72/1.3.109 incompatibility, or something wrong with 1.4.72. I'm guessing the remote peer is my Linux NAS, which I also updated to 1.4.72. It's pretty bad that the history now only says "remote peer" rather than identify the peer. That's practically a dealbreaker right there.

DOUBLE PANIC: I can't find a way to quit the Windows client in the UI. That means the only way I have to quit is to abort the process from Window's task manager. I have the feeling that's not going to lead to good outcomes. Uninstalling and reinstalling Windows 1.3.109 client.

Linux client showing constant 25-35% cpu usage. Rolling Linux back to 1.3.109.

At this point, I don't dare try updating my Android clients.

I Am getting the same old same old problem with the GUI reporting unfinished business whilst in fact the sync has completed.  I was informed that this 'issue' would 'probably' be fixed in 1.4, it sadly has not.  I will reopen my ticket with the support guys.  

Where do you get your 'history' from on 1.4 ?? - do you mean the new 'date synced' column? - the history and transfers tabs on the old gui seemed to be more informative as one could identify errant files that had not completed syncing (or .sync files left over AFTER syncing) and one could zap them to get the reporting correct.  It seems we have lost that transparency and now only get a date/time reported, so its going to be impossible to get fully synced (for me) 

PANIC: An unidentified "remote peer" keeps overwriting new with old. I change a text file on my 1.4.72 Windows laptop, and my Windows laptop's history reflects the change with entries like "a few seconds ago" etc. After a minute or so, the newer entries in the Window's history have disappeared, and the history gets rolled back to the last time one of the remote peers updated the file--which it should never have done, by the way. Then the new file gets clobbered with the old one from the remote peer. Right now, my other online Windows laptop is still on 1.3.109. This is either a 1.4.72/1.3.109 incompatibility, or something wrong with 1.4.72. I'll try updating all my Windows laptops and test again.

DOUBLE PANIC: I can't find a way to quit the Windows client in the UI. That means the only way I have to quit is to abort the process from Window's task manager. I have the feeling that's not going to lead to good outcomes. Uninstalling and reinstalling Windows 1.3.109 client.

Linux client showing constant 25-35% cpu usage. Rolling Linux back to 1.3.109.

At this point, I don't dare try updating my Android clients.

You quit from the notifications bar (at least I do!!)  I guess if you don;t have the notifications bar there is no way of quitting?  you are fine going back to 1.3.109 - you only have 16Gb synced - I have two folders both 150Gb synced to five laptops in various different guises of windows 7 & 8 and two androids!  but they are syncing fine for me, I just have this reporting issue - see below

oops, sorry, I did not realise that 'quoting would send ALL your post into mine, I thought we would just get some added text in YOUR post.  Anyway, I am now seeing peaks of 25% on my CPU and an inordinate amount of memory being hogged by the 'app'  This will certainly make a difference to my 'backup' machine - not sure how it will affect my day to day use of the 'master' - I will wait and see.  I am with you regarding updating other devices - I will leave my win8.1 tablet on 1.3.109 for now even though it has the fastest processor and an SSD, so performance should not be a issue - I just can't have that GUI hogging all the real estate!    I will need an entire weekend to re-index everything, so am dreading having to go back - would much rather go forward to something that is fixed!

Still have the same problem on Ubuntu 14.04. Anything above 1.3.94 and the webui just doesn't show. Asks for a password and then nothing. It's working in the background as all my old shares are syncing. Had to remove and go back to 1.3.94.

Yet on my cubietruck arm system the latest version works fine ?

Rich

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

You quit from the notifications bar (at least I do!!)  I guess if you don;t have the notifications bar there is no way of quitting?

There was no BitTorrent Sync icon in my notifications area. I can no longer test because I've had to revert everything due to failures on two platforms. Even worse, reverting from 1.4.72 back to 1.3.109 required me to uninstall all data and settings on both Linux and Windows, or else 1.3.109 wouldn't launch, which is going to make testing really difficult. I really hope someone has a suggestion or a fix for the LInux and Windows versions.

Even worse, reverting from 1.4.72 back to 1.3.109 required me to uninstall all data and settings on both Linux and Windows, or else 1.3.109 wouldn't launc, which is going to make testing really difficult. I really hope someone has a suggestion or a fix for the LInux and Windows versions.

There should be a settings.dat.old and a sync.dat.old file which are backups of the 1.3 version config. Just rename them removing the ".old" part and 1.3 should work again.

Good work on the UI - it looks much better and seems better organised.

One thing I would prefer is for the "Enter A Key" button to be obvious - possibly next to the "Add folder" button. Both functions are effectively adding a folder; it just depends on whether it was created locally or remotely.

Also, the "Enter A Key" option is more likely to be used by people new to the program so it needs to be obvious. For example, yesterday I emailed a key to a friend and he couldn't work out what to do with it.

Cheers

Danny

I found the biggest bug possible :P  :

For Windows 7 users:

Sync 1.4 requires Internet Explorer 9 (or later). Windows 7 originally shipped with IE8. If you've never updated from IE8, Sync 1.4 will not function correctly. Updating to the latest version of Internet Explorer resolves this.

I hope the installation can be done from others web-browsers (like opera, chrome, ff, ...).

I will wait until the update with my actual client anyway ^^

Versions Linux x64 and ARM, connecting with Android-Clients Vers. 1.4.36 with the Certificate generated.

In the peers-list I now see 3 devices with the same name - the username. The devicename is now hidden, so the devices can't be identified any more.

And there should be an option to recreate the certificate e.g. when I want do adjust the user- or devicename maybe becuase of typos.

Ok, I don't have a GUI at all. The window is just plain gray. 

I have tried to uninstall and reinstall it and restarted the computer but it didn't help. 

Does any one else have this problem?

What's your OS and what version of Internet Explorer is installed? Hint: Please see the "Important Notes" section in the first post in this thread

I'm viewing the link email in Chrome.  When I choose add folder I should receive a notice to launch application but nothing happens.  I've disabled my anti-virus and tried in another browser.  The part that goes from browser to sync program will not initiate.

I don't care if the launch application box appears.  If I can paste the key somewhere like before that is fine.  I can't see how to do this as with the previous version though.