Latest Desktop Build 1.4.72

GreatMarko

PANIC: An unidentified "remote peer" keeps overwriting new with old. I change a text file on my 1.4.72 Windows laptop, and my Windows laptop's history reflects the change with entries like "a few seconds ago" etc. After a minute or so, the newer entries in the Window's history have disappeared, and the history gets rolled back to the last time one of the remote peers updated the file--which it should never have done, by the way. Then the new file gets clobbered with the old one from the remote peer. Right now, my other online Windows laptop is still on 1.3.109. This is either a 1.4.72/1.3.109 incompatibility, or something wrong with 1.4.72. I'm guessing the remote peer is my Linux NAS, which I also updated to 1.4.72. It's pretty bad that the history now only says "remote peer" rather than identify the peer. That's practically a dealbreaker right there.

DOUBLE PANIC: I can't find a way to quit the Windows client in the UI. That means the only way I have to quit is to abort the process from Window's task manager. I have the feeling that's not going to lead to good outcomes. Uninstalling and reinstalling Windows 1.3.109 client.

Linux client showing constant 25-35% cpu usage. Rolling Linux back to 1.3.109.

At this point, I don't dare try updating my Android clients.

Panic 1 is the same issue of http://forum.bittorrent.com/topic/30338-newer-files-overwritten-by-older-files-btsync-1394/ and still not solved.

It's the same symptom, but I doubt it's the same issue. You linked to a 1.3.94 discussion thread, but I've never had the old-overwrites-new problem with 1.3.109. This dreaded problem has come up from time to time over the past year. As I recall, I once solved it by redoing sync installations totally from scratch on all my devices at the same time. I'll try that with the next update. It's an annoying solution, but if it works I don't question it and move on. Regardless, I haven't seen anyone else report old-overwrites-new with 1.4, nor my other gripe of excessive Linux CPU usage. Perhaps also there's an issue of how different platforms interact? I don't see anyone else here but me who reports maintaining all three of Linux, Windows, and Android clients. That's why I'm willing to do the clean total reinstall rather than spend even more time troubleshooting when no one else's config matches mine.

Are you sure about these instructions?

Let's see if I understand it correctly.

1) I need to physically delete the BTSync binary from Program Files dir (Win 7).

2) I have to wipe out everything from AppData\Roaming\BitTorrent Sync, including the databases

3) Remove all the .sync folders from all the shares. Do you know why, by any chance? Do .sync folders interfere with 1.3.109?

Right now I have 1.3.109 running except all the nodes show as empty while they are all synced. That is my main problem, at the moment at least.

I hope someone has an "authoritative" instructions on this.

It was Linux instruction :)

Hi, 

Please understand I just registered because I DO love the BTSync concept, and besides some (to-be-expected) Beta bugs it is already working reasonably well.

But when reading this

New simplified UI

• UI was fully revised and now looks similar on all platforms. Also, UI was simplified significantly to make Sync usage faster, more understandable and convenient.

I do not know how bad the Windows GUI was, but the OS X one for 1.3 was pretty okayish. Compared to this the new one is -and this is really the most polite way to put it- unintuitive, uninformative, ugly and generally a waste of space. Even as a longtime user it is not clear where to click, and it seems a lot of information that was there before is not accessible at all.

So at least for OS X, can we please get the old GUI back? Or just release a commandline-only version just as for Linux. Maybe there is a chance to get/build a usable third-party GUI? I do not know whether the API is powerful enough or that... Did the old GUI use the API? Maybe just release the GUI part as open source?

At the current state I can barely recommend BTSync to "normal" OS X users (it was ok before).

So please do not take this as a personal offence. I wouldn't have taken the time to write it, if I did not like BTSync.

I just hope this can be repaired

Peace :)

Why oh why oh why can people not f$%k around with software that was small, fast and brilliant.

1.3 was easy and worked first time.

1.3 was genius. I liked the web GUI and the way you did stuff.

1.3 has been praised by me to all and sundry.

1.3 made me very happy.

1.3 was unbelievable.

1.4 is not these things.

When I've calmed down, I'll list the things that don't work for me.

It's too dangerous now.

ok i dont have interet explorer at all , never have, never will, does that mean i will never have bitorrent sync on my desktop, have it on my mobile(android) but can not sync to desktop because you insist on ie, could this be a problem?

did have old version worked great but my mobile uses the newer versions, do old and new talk to each other?

hope you have an answer, thanks

Most people think of IE as a security risk, can't understand what prompted it being required.

God must have been looking out for me, I usually check the forum daily for updates but missed the 1.4 announcement, by the time I started reading this thread you guys had raised enough flags for me to avoid the angst.

I was delayed reading this forum because I was fighting a bug after upgrading my Mikrotik routers, the upgrade demons get you one way or another.

[...] this is the last build of 1.3, but it is fully compatible with 1.4 devices (including mobile).

Really? I had v1.3 on 2 NAS systems and on a debian server; v1.4 on 2 Windows desktops and 2 Android.

The v1.4 always shows 2733 files (which was the entire folder) with status "sending" after waiting a few hours (also after several reboots and complete reinstall of btsync). Actually the files were synchronized, but log told me that my PC was initiating a connection to the v1.3 hosts every 10 seconds, but without changing anything.

I tried updating my NAS and debian server to v1.4 and the "sending" status immediately changed to "synced". The connections to and from my PC decreased also after updating every client to v1.4.

Edited by ICE

It's the same symptom, but I doubt it's the same issue. You linked to a 1.3.94 discussion thread, but I've never had the old-overwrites-new problem with 1.3.109. This dreaded problem has come up from time to time over the past year. As I recall, I once solved it by redoing sync installations totally from scratch on all my devices at the same time. I'll try that with the next update. It's an annoying solution, but if it works I don't question it and move on. Regardless, I haven't seen anyone else report old-overwrites-new with 1.4, nor my other gripe of excessive Linux CPU usage. Perhaps also there's an issue of how different platforms interact? I don't see anyone else here but me who reports maintaining all three of Linux, Windows, and Android clients. That's why I'm willing to do the clean total reinstall rather than spend even more time troubleshooting when no one else's config matches mine.

I'm afraid that this issue is still existing.

I noticed it three times using 1.3.106 and v1.3.109.

My environment:

- two Windows 7 64bit notebooks and one NAS Server.

NAS server is enabled on demand.

I'm using btsync to synchronize my local development environment on all three devices.

I found three times that text file modified on Workstation A ( when other workstation and NAS was switched off )

was overwritten by older version after synchronization when I turned on other devices.

It is very danger behaviour - fortunately I had possibility to restore last version from .SyncArchive directory, but I'm synchronizing few thousands of the files - so it is impossible to verify each file.

Edited by Mark8954

Hello,

i have lots and lots of com.apple.metadata_kMDItemUserTags & com.apple.FinderInfo files syncing.

I checked .sync/IgnoreList files, and all rules have been moved in that files, but it's seems like it doesn't work.

Rules are :

# Finder related filescom.apple.FinderInfocom.apple.metadata:_kMDItemUserTagscom.apple.metadata__kMDItemUserTagscom.apple.ResourceForkcom.apple.metadata:kMDItemFinderCommentcom.apple.metadata:kMDItemStarRatingcom.apple.metadata:kMDItemOMUserTagTimecom.apple.metadata:kMDItemOMUserTagscom.apple.metadata:kMDItemOMUserTagTimecom.apple.*
Is it normal, do i have to change something ?

In StreamsList i have this

com.apple.FinderInfocom.apple.metadata:_kMDItemUserTagscom.apple.ResourceForkcom.apple.metadata:kMDItemFinderComment
But what is StremsList exactly ???

.sync/StreamsList (1.4+) = A user editable file allowing you to "white list" alternate streams, xattrs and resource forks (mainly for OSX users)

Can you explain ?

BTSync 1.3 really felt like: I am in control.

1.4 feels like I am bossed around by some fishy software. From Android, I cannot even get the clear Key / Secret any more. Only a mysterious Link..

The Android "thing" cannot be called "Beta" I cannot remember how often I entered the Data to create a Certificate, which "can only be entered once".

The new GUI has sooo many mistakes.. Here just one:

20140902-153917-234.png

The new feature, the "Fingerprint" (Windows), "Certificate" on Android (Later: "Certficate fingerprint"), is not working/ implemented on the NAS version. And between the Android and the PC, i have given up trying.

I was really happy with BTSync 1.3.x

Now the Update of the Android Version tricked me with all its bugs into upgrading all the other Pcs and NASs.. Looking at the chaos makes me hoping for two things:

- Big improvements in 1.5 (You can do it, you already proved that!)

- No Harddrive crash until i find another (intermediate?!?) solution.

I have a big problem with 1.4

Updated both my NAS today.

When I create a share on one NAS, then copy the read only key (the one which starts with a B) and add it to the other NAS, it doesn't sync. And when I check the key of the share, it's not the one I copied over!

Strangely, this problem doesn't happen when using read/write (Axxxxxxxxx) key.

EDIT : tried on another location and it worked, weird...

@GreatMarko:

But that doesn't apply to the Android Users which got the 1.4.36 by Auto-Update!

IOS 7.x was auto-updated as well to 1.4.35. The two devices I "upgraded" now can't run the application. If there is any error reporting, the app is blowing up before it is displayed. And since there no back out procedure with IOS, it has rendered the application worthless. Apple doesn't provide a software downgrade option. 

This is horrible change control, for a development company.  To cripple people's photo backup on the news of iCloud security issues is a horrible PR move as well.