Btsync 1.4 On Synology Nas - Official Package?

Where (or when) can I find the official Synology package that should now be available as voiced in BTsync blog?

To my knowledge (I'm happy to be corrected), there is no "official" (i.e. BitTorrent Inc developed/produced) dedicated Synology package, however a Synology package is available via https://synocommunity.com/ (Current version of Sync listed there appears to be v1.3.109-3)

...or you can manually setup Sync on a Synology NAS using official sources by following instructions in this blog post

Finally, this thread may also be of interest.

AzimutTheUt,

I have been using 1.3 from the Synocommunity mentioned above and am pleased to say its so far worked flawlessly between 3 NAS devices.

Synocommunity are very reputable, but I also agree, it would be nice to see an official package from BTSync in the Synology App Station.

Thanks Hurik, i'd be interested to know how people get on with this software and what sort of setup they have, i.e NAS to NAS or NAS to users.

Theres a lot of gripes in the main desktop thread, mainly about the UI, but also a lot of Sync issue. Im a bit hesitant to upgrade at the moment, due to it being in a live environment.

Don't upgrade. I got some sync issues, it isn't working as good as before. Connection is often lost, don't know why. But it is working and I'm to lazy to downgrade. I like the new gui.

My setup is very simple:

Synology DS410j ---> Synology DS413j (Only read key ...)

One folder with 1433.39 GB. About 1100 GB was already on the DS413j and BtSync synced the rest. Which was very nice because it only synced the missing files, thats the reason why i use btsync. For the connection i only use predefined hosts.

Hurik,

Just to confirm, your only seeing lost connections on your NAS, so far no actual Sync issues or old files being replaced etc?

I assume it didn't try and re-sync everything, just the missing files?

Sorry, my english isn't the best ...

I only have connection problems (Sometimes the sync stops without reason and after some time it starts again. Don't know why ...), no actual sync problems. In the new version you can see which files are on queue to be synced, and there are only new files.

@hurik

Please see the referred topic - you can get direct links, containing version now.

@AzimutTheUt

I'll check out what happened to official BT package and let you know.

@djsuperstore

Can you please help to debug what happens to your Sync's speed? Please follow this instruction to collect speed debugger information, submit it to me here then.

We have updated to 1.4 on several NAS devices and found a couple of issues....

1 NAS will display BTSync UI fine but will not let you browse folders, there is only a single input box for 'Path'. Ive tried to manually add a path, but it wont let me save either.

Another NAS will not display any UI at all, just a blank page.

Have tried both devices with various browsers (IE10/11) as well as Chrome.

Both NAS units are exactly the same, with the same DSM and same BTSync version :(

On my home NAS, which is a similar device, using the same version, everything is fine.

*Edit* so an uninstall and reinstall managed to fix the page not showing, but still unable to add any folders to either device

On a side note, everytime the program is launched, on both the faulty units it keeps asking for username/password and to agree the EULA, as if its not remembering this? It also display "Loading" on the main sync screen without any folders or anything added. Could it be a permission issue?

Hi adam1k and djsuperstore,

the Synology package is only a wrapping for the btsync binary. So I have no clue why it isn't working.

When you want to downgrade and wait for a more advance release, I have built the 1.3.109 version for several Synology models. But I think I read that 1.3 is not working with 1.4. So you have to downgrade alls your NAS.

Here can you find the 1.3.109 version: http://www.andreasgiemza.de/allgemein/bittorrent-sync-1-3-109-for-synology-nas/

I hope this helps.

Bye,

Andreas

@adam1v

Indeed, it sounds like a permissions issue: seems Sync can't write data to its storage folder. I'm not familiar well with unofficial package - but it should be pretty easy to check: see which parameters are used to run btsync binary:

- if there is "--config" parameter - it will show path to config, in config you'll need to find "storage_path" value.

- if there is no config parameter, see .sync subfolder in the same location where binary stays - it is storage dir. 

@hurik

Note, that downgrading is not supported, i.e. you Sync 1.3 can't use 1.4 database. If you downgrade - you'll need fully reinstall and read all folders.

@AzimutTheUt

We've got some delays with delivering official package and now actively working with Synology to finally publish it. Will be available soon.

@hurik

Note, that downgrading is not supported, i.e. you Sync 1.3 can't use 1.4 database. If you downgrade - you'll need fully reinstall and read all folders.

djsuperstore asked how he could downgrade ...

@AzimutTheUt

We've got some delays with delivering official package and now actively working with Synology to finally publish it. Will be available soon.

Will this package always be up to date? I'm asking because the QNAP package is still version 1.3.106: http://www.qnap.com/i/useng/app_center/con_show.php?op=showone&internalName=BitTorrentSync&version=1.3.106&down_1_name=TS-NASX86&jump_win=1

Hi Roman,

I have reviewed the config file on a working NAS and can only see;

".url": {        "com.synocommunity.packages.btsync": {            "title": "BitTorrent Sync",            "desc": "BitTorrent Sync Web UI",            "icon": "images/btsync-{0}.png",            "type": "url",            "protocol": "http",            "port": "8888",            "url": "/",            "allUsers": false        }    }}

• 2 weeks later...

@hurik

There is no downgrade path. 1.3 and 1.4 are incompatible on a single PC due to differences in DB. So, if @djsuperstore wants to downgrade - he has to uninstall 1.4 with cleaning up all the Sync data and install it again. Obviously, he has to add all folders again (though he can use old secrets if they are stored somewhere).

We'll do our best to align our releases with publishing them to NAS vendors in future. Though, they are currently behind our releases as they are delayed by NAS vendors.

@adam1v

The issue should be resolved with 1.4.82

@tenjaa

We are working hard to publish official packages, but they are now get delayed by NAS vendors. We are doing our best to promote it and publish. As I got no any ETAs, I don't want to put any false expectations here.

But why don't you want to use unofficial packages meanwhile? They contain the same binary and community does a great job to wrap it into a package and make easily available!

[...]

But why don't you want to use unofficial packages meanwhile? They contain the same binary and community does a great job to wrap it into a package and make easily available!

from the official package I expect a better user-/rightsmanagement.

I tried the unofficial package but there I always run into problems and the solution "just give all rights to btsync" is not the option i prefer.