Btsync 1.4 On Synology Nas - Official Package?

@tenjaa

It's more about the Sync logic than packaging. Regardless of the fact how Sync will be packaged - it still will run under some user, so all new files will be crated with this user as owner and with user's umask applied to permissions. The only one permission that is being synced for Linux machines is the permission to execute files.

@RomanZ

I have to admit that I have (almost) no detailed knowledge about permissions in linux.

To clarify:

I have the standard folder "music". Users tenjaa, x and y have r/w-rights.

As tenjaa is my main user, it want to sync this folder to a second synology as this user. The second one has the same users.

Now only tenjaa can r/w the folder because he is the owner and the permissions from different users are not synced.

Right?

@Tenjaa

I have been trying to raise this issue with Synocommunity here: https://github.com/SynoCommunity/spksrc/issues/1243

As an end user, we have very little control over how the package/application is ran, we are not able to select the user account or group it is started with.

In your example, if your are using it between NAS devices, BTSync actually takes ownership of the file, using its own account, which appears to be called BTSync, but this is not created by the user, it appears to be a system/unix account created with the app, 

A6HfJT.jpg

In my example above, the left side has the original file and the right side has been replicated. No users have write access :(

This might be by design, but surely its quite a big fundamental flaw if users cannot edit or modify the replicated files?

The problem is, we don't have access to the BTSync app user settings (at UI level), therefore, we cannot add the user account in which the app runs to the same group, otherwise Id create a new group, add the BTSync user to this + all my active directory users and apply that permission at the top level folder.

In addition, the folder that contains this file has RW permissions for everyone, its just BTSync that's not applying the RW permissions :(

Any further input you can add is greatly appreciated...

@adam1v

Why can't you add btsync user to your ad group? Also, you can adjust umask for btsync user to make all files synced to NAS available for RW access to all users, if you want. 

For any of the about you'll need SSH access to your NAS. I'm really not sure if it is possible to make from UI.

I can try and add the BTSync account on AD, but the account on the NAS associated to BTSync app doesnt logon to active directory, i.e I think its a system account. Looking at the permissions from a windows machine displays;

permissions.jpg

Lastly, how do we unmask? what does this do in simple terms? Sorry im not familliar with linux, but have done a bit of basic with SSH/Telnet.

@adam1v

For Windows Sync simply applies default permissions of the top folder (as all the processes do when create a file) - so you need to simply set up your sync folder permissions correctly.

For Linux permissions go from the user owning process. run "umask" command and you'll see what permissions will be set for a newly created file.

• 4 weeks later...

@AP-123

We did not release official Synology package yet. Though. SynoCommunity offers their own package, latest version they packaged is 1.4.83. You can try to upgrade it manually - you'll need an SSH access to your NAS and replace old binary with a new one. 

Binary should stay in "/usr/local/btsync/bin" folder. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

What is the status of the official package? I have been singing Bittorrent's praise on the Synology site and am running the unofficial package now but had a huge problem with it resulting in a disfunctional diskstation in an earlier release a few months ago (since that time it has been stable though) so I am quite desperate for an official release.