Ability To Set A Name For A Sync (Other Than The Folder Name)

crimliar

• 3 weeks later...

When dealing with many folders, things get quickly confusing. In my case I even have folders with the same name (but in different sub directories). So the "Name" column gives no indication which folder it is, therefore I usually display the "Path" column (which in turn contains too much information - the complete path).

What I would propose: make it possible to enter a "Display Name" for each folder, and make this accessible as column in the UI. In this case it also would make sense to be able to hide the "Name" column, which is not possible now.

And to make life even simpler: also add a "Category" property for folders, which could be used to group folders together (e.g. as collapisble nodes).

E.g. suppose I have the following folders on disk:

• C:\Alice\Documents
  • C:\Bob\Documents (top secret)
  • C:\Charly\Documents
  • C:\Alice\Music
  • C:\Bob\Music
  • C:\Charly\Music downloaded

I then could e.g. use the folder type as category and the name a combination of both as display name:

+ Documents

- Alice

- Bob (secret)

- Charly

+ Music

- Alice

- Bob

- Charly

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It would be good if an added folder could be renamed. E.g. I have more mobile-device and I backup my photos into my desktop pc. Generally DCIM is the name of a "photo" folder, so I can see more DCIM folders on desktop pc, and I can distinguish them only by their path :(.

It would be good if an added folder could be renamed. E.g. I have more mobile-device and I backup my photos into my desktop pc. Generally DCIM is the name of a "photo" folder, so I can see more DCIM folders on desktop pc, and I can distinguish them only by their path sad.png.

Why not rename the folder on the desktop PC? It will change the name of the folder in the UI.

http://help.getsync.com/customer/portal/articles/1902066-can-i-move-or-rename-a-syncing-folder-?b_id=3895

(The share itself will not be renamed, so if you sync it on another computer, it will get the original name.)

Just chiming in to bump this up as well as say I need this in such a bad way. Not only do I use Sync as my one and only sync method between machines/devices... I also use it as a means to replicate specific data from each machine that I don't necesarrily want sync'd (more of a backup) so I have a single repository on an always-on machine to do a nightly offsite backup.

What's happening to me is, when I add each Documents folder from each machine to Sync, they all dump to that one machine as Documents, Documents (1), Documents (2), etc... so in the event I have ever to reformat a machine, I'll have no way of knowing which Documents folder from the Sync listing is the right one. If I could have some sort of identifier apart from just the folder name, that would be perfect. My Sync folder list as it is now, is a giant mess that desperately needs some organization.

Edited by mothra

• 1 month later...

Another vote, please.

My use-case? Multiple mobile units being synced to my desktop and I need to keep same folder names.

On my desktop:

N:/AndroidSync/deviceA/DCIM

N:/AndroidSync/deviceA/Downloads

N:/AndroidSync/deviceA/a/b/c

N:/AndroidSync/deviceB/DCIM

N:/AndroidSync/deviceB/Downloads

N:/AndroidSync/deviceB/a/b/c

In order to reflect the true picture, especially with multiple syncs from the same device, you need to use the exact hierarchy of the devices.

All we need is another column, share name. 

Thank you much.

oh, and please let us rearrange columns in the gui.

By the way, please be aware that the lack of this feature on the Android device gave me some headaches today.

We might call it a flaw in the app's terminology, maybe functionality.

How?

The Android sync app, has a 'rename' option. Intuitively I thought, hey let me rename the sync name and hopefully the new name will appear on my desktop gui.

WOA. Not only didn't it do that, BUT it renamed the directory in the Android file system! Huh?.. Guess what happened to my app(s) that had the rug pulled out from under them in mid flight? We don't need a sync app to rename folders on disk! (Unless you make it pretty clear to the user.) Much better off without this option! Any user who has used Desktop 'shares' automatically assumes that rename means rename the share name, not the folder on disk!

Although this post would be appropriate in the Android forum, it really belongs here because this is related to a global feature for all clients as discussed in this thread.

So this a double vote for this feature.

Thank you.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi,

Can we have ability to rename the folder within Sync?

For example:

PersonA syncs 'Desktop' across his devices.

PersonB shares 'Desktop' with PersonA

Person A on another devices that has not been setup syncing yet, sees 'Desktop' twice, he has no idea if 'Desktop' is from PersonA or PersonB.

I would be nice to be able rename the 'Desktop' from PersonA to something like "PersonA's Desktop", and PersonB's Desktop to "PersonB's Desktop"

Makes sense?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...