Sync Ios 7 Crash

MattJeanes

Hi, 

Same problem here but I can certify that it's not only an iOS 7.1.2 problem. I have an iPhone 4 running an older version and after updating the BTSync app i crashed when trying to enable Camera backup. Thw weird thing is that Auto backup is enabled on config settings but agt the home screen the switch is disabled. It's when I try to enable this switch that the app crashes.

I upgraded to iOS 7.1.2 but the problem remains. BTSync crashes every time I try to enable de Camera backup switch!

Bittorrent Sync's iOS app started crashing after updating to version 1.4.35. I am trying to re-enable Camera backup, and app dies just after I click switch button in UI.

I have had Camera backup running smoothly before and there is around 9 GB of data that is stored in this torrent. I am running on iOS 7.1.2, iPhone 4S, connected through 3G and WiFi.

The crash makes app useless for me, and destroys good reason to use BittTorrent Sync.

I've found a solution for this problem. Instead of using the toggle to enable the camera backup, try to tab the folder icon on the same row (in front of the toggle switch). The app shows a (in 1.4) new screen where you can enable the camera backup. Everything works fine for me now. One disadvantage: now I have a new key for my iPhone backup so I have to enter the new key on all my devices.

Hi,

I have some crashes too. The first time Sync closes just after adding a folder. Then it crashes all the time while it's opening.

iPhone 3GS

iOS 6.1.3

Sync 1.4.35

I have tried to reboot and do a new install of Sync, but it's the same problem.

If I have time to go to settings menu it doesn't crash. But just after I left settings and returned to the folder listing it crashes.

When Sync is empty of any folder it doesn't crash.

Thanks for helping and sorry for some mistakes I'm french.

Edited by bitto0709

I've failed at making a joke. Sorry.

Yes, because Sync doesn't use iCloud! :P

More importantly, this worked for me:

I've found a solution for this problem. Instead of using the toggle to enable the camera backup, try to tab the folder icon on the same row (in front of the toggle switch). The app shows a (in 1.4) new screen where you can enable the camera backup. Everything works fine for me now. One disadvantage: now I have a new key for my iPhone backup so I have to enter the new key on all my devices.

Hi,

I have some crashes too. The first time Sync closes just after adding a folder. Then it crashes all the time while it's opening.

iPhone 3GS
iOS 6.1.3
Sync 1.4.35

[...]

Support have answered me.

Dear user,

Thank you for the report. This crash is known to us and will be fixed in next release. Please stay tuned and give it a try when it's available in AppStore (sorry, no ETA, but soon). Thank you, and sorry for the inconveniences caused. Please, let us know if it will help.

Best regards, 
*Sync Support Team.
Edited by bitto0709

The new version presents a new problem.  Apparently the secret changed with the installation of the new version of the app.  I can't copy just the secret anymore, it only lets me copy a URL to link.getsync.com or email the link.

First of all, this is a huge privacy/security violation. It appears to include the secret in the link, but there is no way for me to get the secret from my phone to my computer without sending the secret to getsync.com. If I am sending the link to a third party, it is no longer secret.

Second of all, it doesn't work. Clicking on the link just displays a message: "Firefox doesn't know how to open this address, because the protocol (btsync) isn't associated with any program." Manually copying the secret doesn't appear to work as my computer never connects to the phone.

First of all, this is a huge privacy/security violation. It appears to include the secret in the link, but there is no way for me to get the secret from my phone to my computer without sending the secret to getsync.com. If I am sending the link to a third party, it is no longer secret.

Links are secure and do not contain your "secret" - Please see this post and this article.

Second of all, it doesn't work. Clicking on the link just displays a message: "Firefox doesn't know how to open this address, because the protocol (btsync) isn't associated with any program." Manually copying the secret doesn't appear to work as my computer never connects to the phone.

You can also paste links directly into Sync via the "Enter Key" dialog

Links which connect to a server I do not own are not secure. Maybe the secret is not in the URL, but everything needed to obtain the secret is. And it is giving getsync.com a ton of data about what I am doing with btsync and who I am sharing files with. 

Also you cannot paste links directly into btsync. I tried. On Windows I get an error "The secret is invalid. Please generate a new secret or enter the secret for your shared folder." On my Linux server it ignores it entirely.

• 1 month later...

Are there any progress with getting BTSync working with iOS 8.1?

Last post from devs was more than a month ago.

It is extremely annoying that such a nice piece of software just stopped working and no one can fix it.

Earlier this week, the team were able to identify and resolve a issue with the iOS app that prevented it from syncing at all under iOS8, and the update has been sent to Apple for review. Apple require all apps to be reviewed before appearing in the app store - a process that can frustratingly take anywhere from a couple of days to a couple of weeks! - so right now, we're in Apple's hands!

Once this update does becomes available in the iTunes store it should - hopefully - resolve the ongoing issues with Sync not syncing on iOS8 devices.

The devs determined that the reason existing folders stopped syncing after an update to iOS8, was because Apple has changed some paths. If you can't wait for the update, removing your existing folders from Sync on iOS and re-adding them back again (and in the case of Camera Backup, turning this off and on again) should allow syncing to start again, but as I say, the fix for this issue itself should be coming in the next update, which is presently in Apple's hands...