Debian Btsync-User Client Unable To Locate My Arm Btsync Client

g2nightmare

I have this very weird issue.

I have a netbook (with Debian), a raspberry pi (with ARM), and a desktop (with the windows client). I use the raspberry pi as a node, so that I can get an asynchronous connection between the netbook and desktop.

When on the same network, my netbook is after to sync with my desktop AND my raspberry pi (my raspberry pi is NOT on the same network, but is able to locate it)

When I'm on a different network (i.e. a school network with my netbook), I cannot locate my raspberry pi. I think this tells me that there is an issue with the school network blocking the data.

This wasn't an issue in the past, but it is an issue after upgrading.

How can I fix this issue? My raspberry pi has a domain name associated with it, and I do have ports forwarded for specific reasons (i.e. port 80 for my webserver, port 8888 for a front facing btsync admin page).

I have tried setting a manual port for my raspberry pi's btsync configuration, and then adding a pre-defined host of my domainname.com:port of the port I specified.

The repositories will be updated in a few days. I'm still testing the whole thing and making some modifications to the packages in order to make sure, everything works as expected.

Generally there should be no compatibility issues between btsync 1.4 and btsync 1.3 installations, according to the release announcement

For Windows XP/Vista/Server 2003 users:
DO NOT INSTALL SYNC 1.4 - it's not fully compatible with these operating systems at this time. Please use Sync 1.3.109 instead, which is fully compatible with Sync 1.4.

Currently I'm working in a mixed environment: all my Mac machines are running 1.4 whilst my Linux machines are still running with 1.3.109

I see that you updated the repositories (I think?)

There are some bugs you may or may not be aware of. 

I used a clean install of Kali Linux (debian based) and did an install of btsync-user. Upon installing, the gui icon has an explanation point through it and says "Communication Error 500."

Upon providing my secret key and restarting the machine, I always get a "communication error 401" on the gui.

Weirdly enough, btsync actually runs. I ran it via terminal and I get something that says:

blah blah forked to background (good)

/usr/lib/btsync-user/btsyncindicator.py:138 warning at /tmp/buildd/glib2.0-2.33.12+really2.32.4/ ./gobject/gsignal.c:2459 signal child-added is invalid for instance '0x2e93110'

self.ind.set_menu(self.menu)

Displaying the log file, the only bad thing was:

frontend not running but LOCKFILE detected! Strange! btsyncindicator should handle it.

So then it says

Starting frontend with default config file /root/.config/btsync/btsync-auto.conf

Weirdly enough, when I edit that file, and restart btsync, it just changes back to the default file. Seeing as a 401 is an unauthorized, it may have something to do with that.

The repositories will be updated in a few days. I'm still testing the whole thing and making some modifications to the packages in order to make sure, everything works as expected.

Generally there should be no compatibility issues between btsync 1.4 and btsync 1.3 installations, according to the release announcement

For Windows XP/Vista/Server 2003 users:
DO NOT INSTALL SYNC 1.4 - it's not fully compatible with these operating systems at this time. Please use Sync 1.3.109 instead, which is fully compatible with Sync 1.4.

Currently I'm working in a mixed environment: all my Mac machines are running 1.4 whilst my Linux machines are still running with 1.3.109

Unfortunately the huge changes to the web UI made the indicator applet included in btsync-user totally incompatible with BitTorrent Sync 1.4. The problem is tracked in Issue #52 of the btsyncindicator project on GitHub. Unfortunately marxjohnson will not fix the problem, since he ceased using BitTorrent Sync, and this will very probably lead to the end of support of btsync-user.

As I'm not using btsync anymore (I've migrated to syncthing) I can't really investigate this, but if anyone wants to submit a Pull Request I'll happily review it and merge it in.

Fortunately there is an alternative:  you should give btsync-gui a try. You can find more information in this topic. The installation of btsync-gui automatically replaces btsync-user and migrates the configuration:

sudo apt-get install btsync-gui

I think, that I will announce the End of Support of btsync-user in the next days.

Edited by tuxpoldo

Just to clarify, btsync-gui is the same thing except supported? Is it up to date?

Unfortunately the huge changes to the web UI made the indicator applet included in btsync-user totally incompatible with BitTorrent Sync 1.4. The problem is tracked in Issue #52 of the btsyncindicator project on GitHub. Unfortunately marxjohnson will not fix the problem, since he ceased using BitTorrent Sync, and this will very probably lead to the end of support of btsync-user.

Fortunately there is an alternative:  you should give btsync-gui a try. You can find more information in this topic. The installation of btsync-gui automatically replaces btsync-user and migrates the configuration:

sudo apt-get install btsync-gui

I think, that I will announce the End of Support of btsync-user in the next days.

Just to clarify, btsync-gui is the same thing except supported? Is it up to date?

btsync-gui is a totally new project that was initially released on March 1, 2014 (See the initial post). There are some fundamental differences between btsync-user and btsync-gui:

1. btsync-user initially was a Debian package that installed BitTorrent Sync together with a startup script and a desktop link suitable for normal user operation. That means that BitTorrent Sync is started in a user session. The script makes sure that the process runs in the context of the logged in user, keeps all internal data and configuration in the user's home folder. Later on that package included also Mark Johnson's btsyncindicator.py, a status indicator applet that displays current activities of BitTorrent Sync and allows to quickly access the Web UI from its menu. Mark Johnson's btsyncindicator.py, communicates with the BitTorrent Sync process by accessing the internal interfaces of the Web UI. The disadvantage of this solution is that BitTorrent Inc may change these interfaces at every new release since they are not an official documented API. This has already happened in the past making it vital to update btsyncindicator.py.
  2. btsync-gui is a new application that includes the functionality of the startup scripts, the indicator applet and additionally provides a native GTK GUI for BitTorrent Sync. Additionally the Web UI can be invoked from the indicator menu. The native GUI and indicator communicates with the BitTorrent Sync process via the official Sync API.

btsync-gui is a full drop-in replacement for btsync-user and is a living project. The last release was a few days ago. The reason why they are kept into separate packages is due to the fact that there was people the preferred btsync-user...