What's The Use Of Api Keys (Didn't Receive One, Yet)?

goli

Hey there.

I requested an API key a couple of days ago but didn't receive it, yet. I requested it on august, 28.

Is there some private place where I can tell officials the email address I used for requesting the API key to investigate? Just in case you visit my profile: It's "mail@$domain", not "bittorrent@$domain" like statet in my forum profile.

This made me think: What's the API key for? Do you just want to know how many developers out there are currently trying to interact with btsync? Because just in case I create an app that play well with btsync, publishing it and allowing others to use my code requires others to have an API key, too. That's OK for foreign devs, but for regular users like my mother that's kind of a show stopper.

Wouldn't it, at least when btsync reaches stable phase, be useufll to allow API requests without API key? Maybe limited to those coming from "localhost"?

Regards,

Stephan.

I requested an API key a couple of days ago but didn't receive it, yet. I requested it on august, 28.

Is there some private place where I can tell officials the email address I used for requesting the API key to investigate?

Yes - aaron at bittorrent dot com (see this post)

...but please be aware that users generally have had to wait several working days if not at least a couple of weeks before they receive their API key after requesting one, as these are manually processed (it's not an automated system). Given you only requested your key last Thursday, I'm hardly surprised you've not received one yet.

Thank you. I didn't do anything, but a couple of hours after you posted this I received my key.

I actuaily read this post, noticed about "~72 hours". But since there's another questin in here I didn't want to take over that other thread.

And the question being still open is: Do you have any plans to change that API key mechanism at some point in time? Currently it's the btsync application knowing if it's in API mode or not. But imho it should be the other way round. It's the domain of every requesting 3rd party app to authenticate properly als "belongs to or is created by a registered developer".

Regards,

Stephan.

Glad you got your key - I approve and process all of the keys manually and it's just me doing it - so ~72 hours is usually a safe amount of time for me to tell folks to wait.

I really need to sticky this at the top of this forum - this topic seems very popular ;)

aaron