Paranoia: Only Sync With Known Devices

goli

Hey there.

I know your key element of trust is the key. But let's assume you have a couple of devices, like desktop computers, nodes in data centers as well as smart phones. What happens if one of those gets stolen? Bad enough that you lost your current data, but you even update the other person until you changed the secrets of all of your devices.

To make things short: It's not about this one:

http://forum.bittorrent.com/topic/31026-now-implemented-option-to-allow-device-on-sync/

Now here's the idea:

* Be able to put a local sync in "paranoia" mode. This means

* A single "paranoia" node only sync with other "paranoia" nodes, not with those being not paranoid.

* To send or receive data, both connecting noes need to trust each other individually

* Those trust can be revoce throug UI. Doesn't need to be that fancy, a simple list of nodes an check boxes would be totally fine

* The trust list for a share shoudl be synchronized through all nodes, so when a single node trusts another, this trust should be granted by other noes as well. And more important: If a single node untrusts another node, that trust revocation should be accomplished by every other node as well.

Well. There's one more thing, but that might be a little too paranoid: When setting a node to "ultra paranoid: destroy", that one should immediately delete its data as well as the corresponding archive. This particular information, in contrast to the default trust/untrust data, should not be synchronized through all nodes.

Any comments on that?

I know that doesn't allow me to throw my personal data unattended. But it might make me sleep better.

Regards,

Stephan.