Couple Of Features I Would Like To See.

psyfer9983

First, I love this program. I use it across my Synology DS412+, my 2 PCs and my friends Synology. It works very well and I'm happy with it.

But, I would like to see some more options for bandwidth limits. I have 4 shares setup on my Synology. 3 of the 4 are for internal LAN use only, so I don't need any throttling on them. The other share I do since it syncs on the internet. I have to use the same throttling for all in order to use it. Not a big deal, but it would be nice to have individual throttling for shares.

The next option I would like to see is a setting for how often the shares get synced. Sort of a schedule for syncing, like a end of the day backup. If this was to be implemented I would use this for a backup option for a folder that has changes done to it almost all the time. I wouldn't have to have any file versions as it would sync to my Synology and I would use Time Backup for versions.

This last request is a question first and depending on the answer, it could be a feature request. On the keys for the shares (read-only, read-write), are the key automatically update and sent to the current peers on the share (for security reasons)? If not, could that be a feature down the road? I'm asking for myself and for another. If the keys are renewed (every couple of days get new key for all clients) my friends and I would use this as a way to share mods, files and what ever else we would need to share for upcoming LAN parties. It would replace Dropbox as some of us can't use it due to firewalls, ect...

Welcome to the forums!

Please take a moment to search the Feature Request forum before posting, as your first two suggestions are covered by this thread. You'll add more weight to your requests by contributing to existing threads covering the same suggestions.

In relation to your third request; no, updating a key on one peer does not update it on all other peers - for a very good reason: security!

Let's say you're sharing between a number of devices, and one of those devices gets lost/stolen. If changing a key on one device were to update the key on all other devices in the same mesh, the lost/stolen device would also receive the updated key, and so carry on syncing! Not what you want!! - Instead, if a device gets lost/stolen, you manually change the key on all your other devices and in that way the lost/stolen device would be no longer part of your mesh.

Also, please read "How secure are keys - can they just be guessed"? in the Unofficial FAQ - there's really no need or security gain by having keys that automatically cycle/regenerate "every couple of days"!