[Solved] Btsync Cannot Handle Files With Special Characters In Filename

juh

Hello,

as I like the idea behind Bittorrent Sync I tried it out to sync a medium sized working directory on my desktop to my notebook.

I discovered an issue that makes btsync unusable in non-ASCII-land. It cannot handle files with special characters in the filename. I discovered this because btsync does not sync'ed all files in the directory. (There is another thread in this forum about uncomplete syncing, and there I found a hint to filenames)

I see the "rejecting until file info is unpdated" message with files which has special characters like äöü in their names.

But btsync does not only silently skip these files, some of them are sync'ed but the program stops to sync other files.

Only when I rename some of these files (who are rejected until file info is updated) on the original client, btsync restarts to sync some more files to stop again when it chokes on a file with an umlaut in its name.

As people outside ASCII-land often uses special characters in their filenames, I would be happy if you could add support for these files in btsync.

After looking closer into the problem I discovered something strange. These files were duplicates. I found two files with the same name in the same directory with different timestamps. After deleting one of the files and renaming the other, btsync starts to sync again.

Finally the sync of my working directory was complete I could verify that I can sync files with special characters in their names.

I have an idea how I got these duplicates, but this is not related to btsync.

So just regard my posting as noise. ;-)

• 2 months later...

I'm still having trouble. I have several files (all of which have "special characters" in their names) which will never sync from my computer to my phone. I'm running Debian wheezy on my laptop, with BitTorrent Sync version 1.4.93.  My Android phone is running BitTorrent Sync version 1.4.56.0.

Examples of the filenames are:

1138. Rabbit In The Moon Remixes • Volume 2.html
1152. Naïve Art.html
1183. In The Møde.html
1239. Hyæna.html
1544. 1992—2002 [Disc 1].html
1545. 1992—2002 [Disc 2].html
154. Medúlla.html
1625. Clivillés & Cole's Greatest Remixes, Volume 1.html
1643. Doctor Death's Volume III- Les Péchés de l'amant.html
178. Bête Noire.html
1891. π- Music for the Motion Picture.html
1917. Word • Flesh • Stone.html
347. Enjoy The Silence · 04 [single].html
374. Die Kleinen und Die Bösen.html
547. Tragedy ▷For You◁ [single].html
548. Tragedy ▷For You◁ [single] [CD2].html
550. Tyranny ►For You◄.html
601. t [cd·a].html
602. t [cd·b].html
630. Lunático.html
703. ¡Hello Friends!- Jack Dangers Plays With The Records Of Tino Corp..html
735. Naïve - Hell To Go.html
739. Naïve - The Days of Swine & Roses [single].html
802. Yes–I'm Limited Vol. II.html
839. Counterfeit² [Promo].html

By the way, I don't see any related errors in ~/.btsync/sync.log
Edited by potentcocktail

I'm still having trouble. I have several files (all of which have "special characters" in their names) which will never sync from my computer to my phone. I'm running Debian wheezy on my laptop, with BitTorrent Sync version 1.4.93....

Well, that's your problem - this issue was addressed in 1.4.99 - so you'll need to update from 1.4.93. The latest version at time of writing is 1.4.103