Latest Desktop Build 1.4.83

GreatMarko

Hi Folks,
Sync 1.4.83 is now available for manual download from the main site (or via direct links here)

Note: This build isn't yet available via auto-update

Sync 1.4.83 Changelog:
- Fix UI when https usage forced (Linux only)

The changelog for the previous build (1.4.82) may be found here.

Important Notes on Sync 1.4:
Downgrade to 1.3 is not possible after installing Sync 1.4.
(If you wish to downgrade - please uninstall Sync removing all settings, then install 1.3 and configure all folders from scratch)

Edited by RomanZ

Hi,

yesterday evening I wanted to write, that the issue with the port from release 1.4.82 isn't solved. But I thought to myself "ok - next release". Today I updated my FreeNAS to release 1.4.82 and got the same problem, with occured in 1.4.82 Windows 7: The Portnumber isn't changeable. Every time I change the port number open and close the window, I get a new port number. I'm not absolutely sure, but I think, the FreeNAS 64bit wasn't affected with this issue in 1.4.82.

I saw these informations. What is the difference or relationship to the activated/not activated checkboxes which I can set for each shared folder? (Which one has the priority?)

folder_defaults.delete_to_trash bool true Default setting for folder preference "Store deleted files in folder archive". folder_defaults.known_hosts string <none> Default setting for folder preference "Use predefined hosts". Hosts should be entered as single line of IP:port pairs (or DNSname:port pairs*) comma-separated (no other delimiters allowed). folder_defaults.use_dht bool false Default setting for folder preference "Search DHT network" folder_defaults.use_lan_broadcast bool true Default setting for folder preference "Search LAN" folder_defaults.use_relay   true Default setting for folder preference "Use relay server when required" folder_defaults.use_tracker bool true Default setting for folder preference "Use tracker server"

(BTW: Wasn't there a link to the help website http://sync-help.bittorrent.com (one or two releases before) available?)

Greetings,

merlinuwe

Is there a date of when the automatic update will be available?

Not to my knowledge! Firstly, not every beta build ends up getting pushed via auto-update, those that do are often not until several weeks after they first become available for manual download.

Which beta builds are chosen (and when) to be pushed via auto update is essentially based upon which are considered more "stable" (for a beta) to be released to users en masse via auto-update.

So, please keep providing your feedback on 1.4.x builds on the forums, so that the devs can judge which are suitable candidates for auto-update.

@merlinuwe

Sorry, issue with the ports randomly changed is not solved in 1.4.83 yet. It affects both Linux WebUI and Windows-old-IE WebUI. We'll fix it soon.

Could you please elaborate about links to KB? Where do you expect to see them and they are missing?

@onesolo

Please see the topicstarter - direct links are available now.

@mariano

As @GreatMarko said - as soon as 1.4 will be considered stable enough - we'll push it to auto-update. We expect i to happen within couple of weeks.

@merlinuwe

Sorry, issue with the ports randomly changed is not solved in 1.4.83 yet. It affects both Linux WebUI and Windows-old-IE WebUI. We'll fix it soon.

Could you please elaborate about links to KB? Where do you expect to see them and they are missing?

@RomanZ

Hm, I've seen them under the gear-wheel at the last menu under "options..." in the FreeBSD 64bit, but it would be also useful in all of the other releases, (like Windows 8.1, where I remarked the missing).

BTW: In Windows, there is a blue button on the upper left "Ordner hinzufügen" ("add folder"?). In FreeBSD 64-bit there is an icon at the upper right side. This is inconsistent.

In FreeBSD 64-bit there is an icon "Geben Sie einen Schlüssel oder Link ein", but in Windows there is no such an icon. This is also inconsistent.

In Windows there is a button "Archiv öffnen". It would be nice to be able to see/download/delete the files under freeBSD (and other Linux/Unix systems), too. See h5ai, for example.

But syncing between the android app and other local installed peers is a big problem, if you don't want to use relay, tracker or dht.

Greetings,

merlinuwe

Just upgraded from 1.4.75 to 1.4.83 on Windows 8.1 64-bit, fully updated.  GUI is now just a blank gray box.

I've been using BTSync for about a year and a half, on almost every platform you support...Android, IOS, Linux, Windows...and things worked acceptably well up through 1.3.109, but the slew of problems I've had with 1.4 is making me nervous that I might lose important data.  Your developers clearly aren't doing enough testing prior to release, and the problems I've had indicate this is equally true for the syncing code as the GUI. A bug that accidentally wipes out some part of the 5 TB of data I'm Sync'ing seems increasingly likely, and that is an unacceptable risk.

Seriously, open source Sync so the community can help you fix the bugs!  Or you will lose myself and I imagine a large portion of your users when an open source alternative arrives.

I have upgraded every machine to 1.4.83 and re-configured. OK, it is working fine. A few finagley things but otherwise much better now.

The links from the Android app do not work so no 'backup' yet. But I just scanned the code using the Android app and it worked the other way as a normal read-write. Also, I have a few folders that I can only get a read-write and read-only key for. They refuse to show an encrypted read-only secret for some folders.

That's all, I am over my initial grief with all the changes.

It is looking better. Keep going guys 
:)

Just upgraded from 1.4.75 to 1.4.83 on Windows 8.1 64-bit, fully updated.  GUI is now just a blank gray box.

I've been using BTSync for about a year and a half, on almost every platform you support...Android, IOS, Linux, Windows...and things worked acceptably well up through 1.3.109, but the slew of problems I've had with 1.4 is making me nervous that I might lose important data.  Your developers clearly aren't doing enough testing prior to release, and the problems I've had indicate this is equally true for the syncing code as the GUI. A bug that accidentally wipes out some part of the 5 TB of data I'm Sync'ing seems increasingly likely, and that is an unacceptable risk.

Seriously, open source Sync so the community can help you fix the bugs!  Or you will lose myself and I imagine a large portion of your users when an open source alternative arrives.

I agree 100% and I would seriously suggest you check your important files. I found that Sync was merging versions of files that I was working on one machine incorrectly and just deleting files I hadn't touched. Really worrying so I stopped using it at that point and just decided I would watch the forum and wait for it to stabilise.

Hi,

I updated to 1.4.83 from 1.4.82 because it said

Fix UI when https usage forced (Linux only)

Unfortunately, now I cannot access my Web GUI on my Server (running CentOS) at all anymore (entering http://example.com:8888 or https://example.com:8888 gives me a "browser cannot connect to server" error. btsync is however running. Any ideas (I have not changed anything on the server besides installing the newer version)? Thanks for your help.

Hi,

I updated to 1.4.83 from 1.4.82 because it said

Unfortunately, now I cannot access my Web GUI on my Server (running CentOS) at all anymore (entering http://example.com:8888 or https://example.com:8888 gives me a "browser cannot connect to server" error. btsync is however running. Any ideas (I have not changed anything on the server besides installing the newer version)? Thanks for your help.

Hi,

If you start the application with a defined config file using the switch --config then it will work. Config file should look something like this.

"webui" :
  {
    "listen" : "0.0.0.0:8888",
    "login" : "administrator",
    "password" : "password"
  }

@onesolo

This issue is not solved yet, sorry.

@GusBricker

Yes, there were a lot of "real fixes". For example, crashes are related to Sync core directly.

@wutizurkwest

Please note that Sync is in beta stage of development. Various bugs are still possible, though team does it best to address the most critical in prompt manner. 

@gl00mer

Issue confirmed, we'll fix it. Thanks for reporting.

@roza

It simply does not listen the external interface anymore, only loopback. You need explicitly order sync to listen external interface, please see this article for details.

@onesolo

This issue is not solved yet, sorry.

@GusBricker

Yes, there were a lot of "real fixes". For example, crashes are related to Sync core directly.

@wutizurkwest

Please note that Sync is in beta stage of development. Various bugs are still possible, though team does it best to address the most critical in prompt manner. 

@gl00mer

Issue confirmed, we'll fix it. Thanks for reporting.

@roza

It simply does not listen the external interface anymore, only loopback. You need explicitly order sync to listen external interface, please see this article for details.

Would be great if you detailed the fixes. I never really experienced crashing, just Sync being dumb and deleting files it shouldn't.

Would be great if you detailed the fixes. I never really experienced crashing, just Sync being dumb and deleting files it shouldn't.

In majority of cases we simply get the dumps automatically submitted by OS. It is not clear what the exact user path / environment to reproduce the crash - though it still caused by code imperfection / bugs and can be fixed.