Latest Desktop Build 1.4.83

GreatMarko

I am running Windows 7 64bit (Home and Pro versions), using standard user accounts for most things. After upgrading from 1.4.82 to 1.4.83, I kept getting prompts for administrator credentials to run BTSync after logging in to my standard user account. I have gone back to 1.4.82 and now the extra prompt in the standard user account is gone again.

I get

"failed to set IP_ADD_MEMBERSHIP for XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX:0: -1" errors on WIN7 (86 and 64) and

"UPnP: Device error "http://192.168.XXX.XXX:2869/upnphost/udhisapi.dll?content=uuid:XXX": (-2)

NAT-PMP: Unable to map port with NAT-PMP" von Linux (Qnap NAS) with this and 1.4.75 version.

It's very weird - I sync 4-5 folders between 2 laptops & NAS and 2 external PCs. Some folders sync between two machines instantly but e.g. the same folder won't sync at all on a third+ machine although in some wicked combination all computers are connected ("see eachother") but e.g. folder A on PC A is connect with PC B doesn't mean that folder B on PC A sees PC B and just shows "no peers" and never syncs. 

Something wrong.

I am running Windows 7 64bit (Home and Pro versions), using standard user accounts for most things. After upgrading from 1.4.82 to 1.4.83, I kept getting prompts for administrator credentials to run BTSync after logging in to my standard user account. I have gone back to 1.4.82 and now the extra prompt in the standard user account is gone again.

Actually the issue is not with 1.4.83 but rather with the 64-bit builds. One of my PCs went back to 64-bit 1.4.82 and I still get a prompt for the admin credentials to run BTSync.exe /PERFORMINSTALL. Switching this back to the 32-bit version gets rid of this issue, so I guess I could upgrade to 1.4.83 32-bit...

@petek

Thanks  for reporting, we'll try to reproduce in our lab and fix it.

@datroubler

If you want to delete old configuration - just open the .sync folder (it sits in the same folder where binary resides) and clean it up. Note, that you'll have to reconfigure your folders in this case. 

@maddhin

"failed to set IP_ADD_MEMBERSHIP for XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX:0: -1"

means that your Sync failed to subscribe to multicast addresses and won't be available for LAN discovery on the mentioned interface. There are other ways to discover peers (cache and tracker) so this message is not that critical, though if you have only one interface and tracker disabled - it might be a reason of peers not connecting.

"UPnP: Device error "http://192.168.XXX.X...ontent=uuid:XXX": (-2)
NAT-PMP: Unable to map port with NAT-PMP" von Linux (Qnap NAS)

These messages indicate that your router does not allow UPnP or NAT-PMP. It may prevent direct connections between peers if other peer also stays behind NAT. Though, in this case connection should simply go via relay server (again, if it is allowed).

It's very weird - I sync 4-5 folders between 2 laptops & NAS and 2 external PCs. Some folders sync between two machines instantly but e.g. the same folder won't sync at all on a third+ machine although in some wicked combination all computers are connected ("see eachother") but e.g. folder A on PC A is connect with PC B doesn't mean that folder B on PC A sees PC B and just shows "no peers" and never syncs.

Any observation on which peers are usually can't see others? local, internet? Also, are you using default folder properties or changed something?

I did not know this product was on beta when I downloaded 1.4.75. (I do not recall seeing the Beta)

I have two mac mini servers (1 in Florida,  1 in South Carolina) running 10.9 and 10.7 respectively. We are moving away from google drive to sync (for those on the move employees). We have over 200 GB of Data on google drive.

I have switched server in Florida from google drive to sync. Locally, the macs and pcs access the share folder from OSX Server (File Sharing) installed on the mac mini. I have one mac inside the LAN using sync as well. The LAN speeds, I can reach up to 11mb, external speeds depends on the upload, but usually 800-900 kbps.

Server in SC has sync sharing folders with server in florida, 1 mac in florida, and 3 macs in South Carolina. Also, this server has google drive installed, to keep the other 8 macs we still have on google drive.

When a file changes in Florida, it syncs to SC and then uploads to g drive. So far it is working like a champ. Also it syncs with all the other macs we have using sync.

I was planning to switch all the macs next month (after using sync for 30 days with out issues), but I am concerned now with the Beta label. 

How soon can we get out of Beta? I like the idea of not having my data in the cloud. P2P sync gives me peace of privacy.

As a side note, we are an engineering company (Civil mostly). We use a lot of AutoCad, and sync handles those files like a champ.

Hello there GreatMarko and all the other Bittorrent Sync folks!

First time posting, so let me start by offering a big THANKS! for this tool.  Making great use of it keeping things like music files in sync between my devices!

I've recently upgraded to the Windows 64-bit v1.4.83 version, and I've noticed a couple of UI bugs/oddities I thought I would mention.

1) If I open the UI, and keep the window open but (for the most part) minimized, except for when I'm working in it/looking at it, the following happens after a while ... I don't have a precise timeframe, but I'd say after 6+ hours at least:

- when I bring up the UI, the shared folders list only displays lines up to where the mouse pointer is.

- if I move the pointer down, more shared folders are displayed

- if I move the pointer up, fewer folders are displayed

- closing the window and re-opening the window solves the problem, but I don't think this should be a problem in the first place, should it?

2) no vertical scroll bars

- I have a large number of shared folders - 16 at the moment - and I basically have to have the window maximized to see them all ... navigating to folders not shown is a bit of a pain, in that one has to select a folder, then use the arrows to scroll up/down to bring the other folders into view, and the last folder is only about 3/4 in view.  Hopefully you can add a vertical scroll bar to make the UI a little cleaner to use?

Thanks in advance!

@rockhill04

Well, first of all I'm happy to hear that such a complex setup works fine for you. We would like to leave "Beta" as soon as product becomes stable (for now we still receiving some issue reports which we'd like to get resolved before leaving "Beta"). For now I can't share any ETA, sorry.

@2048bit

I guess the message you get is message of KeyPass. Could you please let me know exact version so I can attempt reproduction in Lab?

@cactustak

Thanks for bug reports, we'll take care of #1. As for #2 - what version of IE is installed on your PC? I have Win7 x64 in my Lab and it shows the vertical scrollbar once you exceed the window size with big amount of folders.

Every time you save a password database shows me the following message:

d5492b5bc20f23985a8be7fdb02a0836.png

I don't have a solution, but here's my experience using Keepass. I've been using Keepass all the time that I've been using BitTorrent Sync. Often, I leave Keepass open on one peer and open the same Keepass file on another peer, make changes, then save from that second peer, which intentionally clobbers the first peer's file when the changes are synced. When I return to the first peer, I simply quit Keepass so that it doesn't overwrite the second peer's changes. This has always worked as expected, and I've never had any sort of error or warning or lost data.

Hi,

I'm using 1.4.83 on FreeBSD 9.2 and 9.3 (NAS4Free). If I use "directory_root" in a config file it works in principle BUT nevertheless it is possible to define a path starting from "/" e.g.:

directory_root = /mnt/DATA -> if I want to add a new folder then it correctly displays "/mnt/DATA" but it is possible to overrule this if you enter a path in the inputbox! IMHO the implementation should remove leading slashes "/" so that it would be only possible to create a new folder starting from the directory_root = /mnt/DATA.

Regards

crest

@crest

the "directory_root" setting is not intended to enforce any security. The main intend of the setting is convenience.

@ChrisH, @GieltjE

Sync can't run portable anymore. We'll remove the function completely so it won't crash. You can use config file to store sync's data in custom folder.

@rockhill04

Well, first of all I'm happy to hear that such a complex setup works fine for you. We would like to leave "Beta" as soon as product becomes stable (for now we still receiving some issue reports which we'd like to get resolved before leaving "Beta"). For now I can't share any ETA, sorry.

@2048bit

I guess the message you get is message of KeyPass. Could you please let me know exact version so I can attempt reproduction in Lab?

@cactustak

Thanks for bug reports, we'll take care of #1. As for #2 - what version of IE is installed on your PC? I have Win7 x64 in my Lab and it shows the vertical scrollbar once you exceed the window size with big amount of folders.

Hi RomanZ.

I'm running Windows 8.1 64-bit with IE11.

Thanks,

@petek

Thanks  for reporting, we'll try to reproduce in our lab and fix it.

@datroubler

If you want to delete old configuration - just open the .sync folder (it sits in the same folder where binary resides) and clean it up. Note, that you'll have to reconfigure your folders in this case. 

@maddhin

means that your Sync failed to subscribe to multicast addresses and won't be available for LAN discovery on the mentioned interface. There are other ways to discover peers (cache and tracker) so this message is not that critical, though if you have only one interface and tracker disabled - it might be a reason of peers not connecting.

These messages indicate that your router does not allow UPnP or NAT-PMP. It may prevent direct connections between peers if other peer also stays behind NAT. Though, in this case connection should simply go via relay server (again, if it is allowed).

Any observation on which peers are usually can't see others? local, internet? Also, are you using default folder properties or changed something?

hm, I extensively tested in the local LAN but "naturally" the results are the same vis internet. I, of course, switched on all options from using DHT, relay server, etc. waited for hours, etc. Even used predefined hosts as well as tried UPnP and manual portforwarding. No success.

What strikes me is that it works for certain folder pairs on different computers. Old versions of BTSync recognized the presence of the PCs/Laptop/Server and synced all folders related to this appliance. The "new" version seems to soley think in terms of folders and doesn't seem to share the found connections with other folders which also sync with this appliance/computer.

Not sure if this is a bug or by design but I still cannot get it to work the way it is supposed to work.

I could imagine this could also be a problem with the new authentification system. Maybe everything works fine in terms of network/connection but the key is wrong/expired/etc and it simply does not show a proper error message. (In case somebody asks: yes, I tried syncing a new folder but neither computer would show any peer = no sync).

Any help wouold be highly appreciated

@cactustak

Screenshot, please?

@2048bit

Thanks, I'll try to reproduce it.

@cactustak

Could you please send me a screenshot?

@maddhin

Let's try to look into debug logs. Could you please connect a pair of debug logs? 2 computers would be enough, they should contains the folder they can't sync. Preferably in LAN - it's easier. When sending logs - please mention this forum topic.