Please Have Thumbnails For Files Especially For Photos.

jiehooni

This is a feature that would be great for photo management. Without thumbnails functionality photo management is not a use case for btsync even though the technology has huge potential for such use case.

I agree with you @adam1v about the additional resources needed, so maybe the solution is to have some kind of optional extension available or simple have it as an option in config settings. Of course this should be disabled by default in order to avoid such resource penalty for ell btsync users.

I'd would add this as a feature request.

Without thumbnail, I am having trouble which photo I am looking for since many of my photos have just number for the filenames.

On top of that, it will be great to have option to download only photos I want if there are thumbnails.

So in that case, btsync only sync with list and thumbnail for photos/videos instead of all actual files.

More over it would be great if btsync can have a choice to stream videos rather than syncing.

Thank you.

• 3 weeks later...

I would like to sync my photos so that I can see them on my phone, tablets, however I don't really like to have them actually all on my phone since storage is limited.(just like dropbox and other cloud services)

Also on my phone or tablets, it is really hard to know which photos I am looking for when file names are most likely DSGxxx, IMGxxx without thumbnails.

Maybe for people who wouldn't need this, it is always good to have a checkbox for options.

• 5 months later...

+1 for this. I would like to give an example. I went on vacation over the summer and between myself, my brother, his partner, & my partner, we had over 2,000 pictures. I keep them all on my desktop, no problem. But on my tablet (Surface Pro) and my phone (android in this case), I can't see what each picture is. The files all have date and time stamps, that's it. That's how I like it. Embedded of course is more information like GPS, camera model, etc., but it doesn't help that I would have to click on a file, wait for the 2-5mb download just to see what it is. 

I keep BTsync all synced together via a centralized server, so that no matter when my PC is off, the others can get their updated information. It would be awesome if it could be an option or even in the .sync folder to have an extension that would allow the device (the PC or server) to generate the thumbnails that could be synced over to other devices. Or even an internal method so that BTSync can send only those thumbnails. 

This would be of tremendous help. Especially when considering that it would be a paid option, I would for sure fork over the dough for it. On another note, I am on a trial of the Pro version, and I wrote 4-5 days ago, and they still haven't gotten back to me... Is that normal? I mean, it says if you pay you get "pro support." Is there a time frame for it? Or will just leave us hanging. It could also be the holidays! Happy Easter to all those who celebrate it!

• 3 weeks later...

Hello again. I thought I'd update with some idea concepts. 

I was thinking, after some emails with your support team, on how to implement this. It would be great if you could have the option in the advanced settings to put in the ".syncArchive" folder another folder called "Thumbnails" which would need to be turned on by the user. In which case, the device with that option on would go through the folders you selected and create small thumbnails for each image or grab a frame from a video and store them in the .syncArchive. That device would then be the only one who sends out the thumbnails to devices that ask for it. The task could also be a subtask that gets very little CPU time and therefore won't need a lot of CPU cycles when in need (another option, possibly?)

Here's an example:

A person with 1 server and 3 PCs, a tablet and a smart phone.

The server could generate all the data thumbnails and store them as in the options and store them locally. On a PC that already syncs everything it won't need to send any files. On a PC that uses the placeholder, upon loading that folder for first time or asking a sync for all placeholders to find the changes, it would download the thumbnails from the server. This would be the same in the case of a tablet or a phone. 

An option could be to also share the thumbnails and save them locally on each device up to a certain amount of MB(?), let's say "50mb of thumbnails." That way you don't need to ALWAYS download ALL the thumbnails EVERY TIME you load the folder, thus generating less CPU cycles and data bandwidth.

I know I'm not a programmer, and please forgive me if my concept is far to crude or silly. I just thought I'd share my idea with the forum. I know that the majority of you are much smarter than I am in programmer. So, once again, forgive me :)

• 4 weeks later...

+1 for this last suggestion.

Thumbnails help organizing photo & video files via one shared folder, without syncing the entire archive. Of course it is perfectly possible to sync a selection of the archive and organize these files locally, and then unsync and move on to another selection, but still, thumbnails, in a model similar to the one zkyevolved suggests, would be better. Without sacrificing bandwidth or unnecessary CPU time in the process. Would hate if indexing photos meant that everything else took a performance hit, but an elegant model, where the default is "no thumbnails" and thumbnails may be enabled on one particular device one at a time, would be nice.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Hi,

I use the android version of the app, so i don't know if this issue is also relevant for the IOS app.

When i sync pictures on my smartphone i don't get any thumbnails or previews, only the filename. That would be a great addition, but what i really would like to see implemented is to be able to scroll through all the images full screen.

When i open an image it opens with my default set app to view images. Because all the pictures are locally stored on my android phone i would like to be able to go through all the images. Now i have to close the image viewing app, select another picture, view it, close the app again, select another picture...

I don't know if this is android related behavior, because dropbox is able to swipe through all your pictures full screen, but i think they use a build-in image viewer...

regards,

NimdaBE

Edited by NimdaBE

• 3 months later...

This is something I'd also like to bump/request. I have over 120GB of photos in a sync'd folder on my server, and it is set up to selectively sync to all of my other devices. Currently there's no way to know what photo I'm looking for because the .bts files don't have any thumbnail data. I understand that a lot of people wouldn't want this extra data in their temporary .bts files, but it would be great to have this as an optional feature for people like me who use btsync in this way.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

+1

That's a feature that will be really useful. For sure is a lot of extra CPU work but just for the first index job.

I'm using resilio sync in 6 different device sharing a lot of picture like 200gb more or less. And that's not easy to find the right picture to download. Maybe should be an option to enable later not as default on every main folder synced.

That's my idea I'm not a programmer just a user that had follow BitTorrent Sync from the first alpha version. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...