Ms Office: Don't Have Permission To Write To The Selected Folder

mbob

Hey guys, FWIW I've installed the 64bit test version @RomanZ has sent to me and I'm still getting access denied errors when trying to modify files as they sync in the background.

Did your receive a test build on the 30th October or 31st October? The reason I ask is that the test build available on 30th October (when RomanZ first posted in this thread about a test build being available) didn't resolve the issue.

However, a further updated test build was made available a day later on 31st which does appear to resolve this issue.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did your receive a test build on the 30th October or 31st October? The reason I ask is that the test build available on 30th October (when RomanZ first posted in this thread about a test build being available) didn't resolve the issue.

However, a further updated test build was made available a day later on 31st which does appear to resolve this issue.

My email client would suggest 1st November (I'm in Australia however). I'd be happy to install the version you know to include the fix though. Can you PM me the link?

@zeropluszero

Please keep monitoring. Relying on the nature of changes - it is very unlikely it is slower. As for the sticking with experimental / official builds - it depends on what we'll be ready to include in next public build. We'll do our best to include as many fixes there as possible, so it's better to upgrade to get more fixes on board.

I assume they are ? here is a copy of my ignore list :

# .SyncIgnore is a UTF-8 encoded .txt file that helps you specify single files, paths and rules
# for ignoring during the synchronization job. It supports "?" and "*" wildcard symbols.
#
#
# OS generated files #
.DS_Store
.DS_Store?
._*
.Spotlight-V100
.Trashes
ehthumbs.db
desktop.ini
Thumbs.db
*.sv$
*.part
*.tmp
*.dwl
*.dwl2

edit: confirmed, as placing a temporary *.sv$ into the synced folder produce no copy on other computers

@mbob

Looks like issue has the same root cause. Sync wants to open and sync Office temporary files while office does not like it. While you can't prevent Sync from opening the file (it happens before the ignore list is checked), please verify if "~*" filter is present in your .sync\IgnoreList. If you upgraded from 1.3 it might not be there, as it became default only in 1.4.

I find it very hard to believe that anyone could think that opening a file before determining if it should be ignored is a good idea. Since I'm new here, I will refrain from saying exactly what I think about doing it that way round, but really? Open and only then check if you should have done it? This certainly explains why I've had problems with applications (not the MS Office programs) not being able to open their own files despite those files being excluded.

Related, but slightly different, wouldn't the best way of reading files for sync be to use shadow copy on Windows, so the file can be used as normal while it is being copied by BTSync? This doesn't fix any write conflicts, but it should fix read conflicts.

@zeropluszero

Sync guarantees that it delivers files without any changes - it controls hashes of the files. The only confirmed case of file corruption I know of was bound to HDD failure - HDD itself provided corrupt data. Could you please check health status of your peers hard drives?

@zeropluszero

Sync guarantees that it delivers files without any changes - it controls hashes of the files. The only confirmed case of file corruption I know of was bound to HDD failure - HDD itself provided corrupt data. Could you please check health status of your peers hard drives?

I would not confirm that.

It happened several times before for me, that an Excel sheet got corrupted. I usually recovered then the last working version from the sync archive folder (or other backups).

Since I never found a way to reproduce this, it's hard to provide any log files. But fact is, that I experienced this more than once.

Thanks for the reponses !

@ RomanZ, i've checked my Hard Drives (SSD) no problems apparently.

I didn't have those issues with the Sync 1.3, it happens a lot with 1.4, and almost disappear with the last version ... !?

Also, if i write my image sequence on another folder, not synced, i do not encounter any problem.

I'll continue investigating if this is a hardware problem...

@ mbob, no improvments with the experimental version of Sync ?

Cheers,

@ mbob, no improvments with the experimental version of Sync ?

I don't know actually ... it only happened now and then (prior the fix). Since the fix I did not observe this problem yet (but the corruption problem is not necessarily related to the sharing violation problem)