Ms Office: Don't Have Permission To Write To The Selected Folder

mbob

I have a problem with Sync and Access 2010. If Sync is running i often cant backup my access-database with the access-feature. Often an error-message appears like this: "cant create a backup, the file is still in use or locked". The same when i try to comprimize or repair a database with the access-feature.

When i shutdown Sync the error-messages do not appear...

New Version does not solve the problem

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@lupus,

procmon is a powerful tool by Mark Russinovich intended to track down process activities (files, registry, network, etc.). Most likely it contains a bunch of non-necessary data, though I prefer to filter it our myself not to lose anything valuable. You can try to compress it with zip, usually the log itself contains a lot of redundant information and will deflate 5-6 times.

@lupus

That's not good. I wonder if you can collect Process Monitor logs when issue happens and send to me?

RomanZ, I signed up for the forum just to post this. I am experiencing the same "locked file" issue across several users/installs. I would be glad to lend a hand in helping provide information to resolve this. This issue has halted the ability to edit office documents contained in a sync'ed folder without receiving "1 locked file" error in BTsync and have resulted in incorrect syncs. I am experiencing this issue while editing office documents (.docx and .xlsx files) but no issue with image editing programs such as paint.net or MS Paint (just examples). If the .docx or .xlsx file is edited/saved outside of the sync'ed folder, it can be moved into the sync'ed folder with no issue, however, it cant be directly edited inside of sync'ed folder without receiving "locked file" error. 

(just opinion) Given how MS handles .docx and .xlsx file saving (temp file/delete/rename), it would seem to me that a 10 second or so delay (could be an configurable advanced option) would help with the issue.

Please let me know what information i could provide that would be useful for you. I can provide process mon logs also, unless you have all you need from lupus. 

@BrianR549 - are you able to confirm that your issues exist with the latest build of Sync, 1.4.103?

Yes, the issue is present in 1.4.103.

Here is a screen shot I took using 1.4.103 while simply opening an .xlsx file and adding info in a cell and save/close. The locked file error appear as soon as i open the .xlsx file. I have to restart Sync to make the locked file error go away.

BTsync%201.4.103%20locked%20file%20error

Edited by BrianR549

@BrianR549

Do you REALLY have to close BYSync and reopen? or do you mean that you close the UI and open the UI again.  I have exactly the same behaviour but do not need to close the program to remove the erroneous locked folder message.

colinaboad,

I was restarting Sync application. However, I just tested what you are describing by closing and reopening the UI, and it did clear out the locked file error (and in the case of my screen shot above, was displaying "out of sync" also) without the need to close the actual application. It appears it could be a small issue with the GUI. I am going to do more testing today to take a closer look at what is actually happening to the files during the sync, and will provide feedback. 

@colinabroad

Thanks for the logs - it will take some time to analyze the results

@BrianR549

As I understand your issue is not purely cosmetic - the Excel actually complaints that it can't save the file, right? If yes - we'll need Process Monitor logs first of all. You may use address suggested by @colinabroad or mail us at syncapp@bittorrent.com