mbob

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@lupus

Briefly: No. We are looking for solution.

In details: Its not a Sync bug, it's more interoperability issue between Office (and some other apps) and Sync - as Office tends to open file for exclusive use and fail immediately when OS prohibits that. There are couple of solutions possible (including delay which was working in 1.3) though each has significant drawback and we are looking for another, most optimal.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Hello,

I tested BitTorrent Sync for our company but I got exactly this "locked file" problem after only a few minutes. It was a docx file that was edited on two clients by two different users. The error stays, even after everyone has closed MS Word.

The performance of Sync is very good but in the corporate environment it is not about sharing Gigs of movies but hundreds of docx, xlsx, pptx, pdf, ... that are changed regularely.

I'm honest: I have not read all pages of the thread but is there some fix? Maybe make all files read-only if it is opened by another user? Or some other rule/setting to avoid a) versioning conflicts and B) Sync locking files.

Best regards

I have the same problem, thought I've read it was fixed in 2.0 and up... we are testing BTSync to replicate files off-site (over a hundred thousands, mostly MS Word and Excel documents!) and currently 2.0.105 indicates 13051 locked files toward two QNAP devices running 2.0.93...

Will be following this thread, let me know if I can help in any way (but feels like you're on it right now!)

Thanks

[...] currently 2.0.105 indicates 13051 locked files toward two QNAP devices running 2.0.93...

Woohoo, that's an amount.

I have not tested it on QNAP so far but looks like the problem is tremendous.

But what are the alternatives? From what I tested to be used in an corporate envirnoment

- AeroFS: Similiar problem but other symptoms. It does not see all the time different file versions, it is even possible that two users have different versions of the same file without any notification that there is a file conflict. So it is easily possible that one user overrides the others changes.

- ownCloud: no LAN Sync, no Delta Sync - in my tests it recognized at least conflicted versions

- Dropbox: Does everything but not on-premise

If you need some log files or similiar I can provide you this. I hope the bug will be fixed soon. It is clear, that file conflicts can happen if many people are working on the same files as they work locally and not on a server that logs the access. But it is very important that there is a 100 % detection rate of conflicts and the user gets adequate information about it. Data loss is fatal.

@utente-prova

Yes, the problem is still in 2.0. Actually, Sync is not locking files. The issue is that Sync opens a file for reading, and while it is open - MS Word / Excel also tries to open the file, but with exclusive access. OS won't let office to do that (as file is already open, so the access won't be exclusive) and office displays error to the user.

@ionreflex

I'll open support ticket for you - we'll need your logs, screenshots and maybe some other debug information to get it addressed. This issue is slightly different from what @utente-prova mentioned.

• 2 months later...

No - I still have to quit BTSync, then compact my Access database, then re-open BTSync, otherwise it sometimes does weird things like abort half way through and even leave it in an unreadable state.  BTSync is a great app that I'm willing to pay for when it is right, but at the moment the fact that this issue remains causes me not to recommend it to non-techies who might not be able to fix the problems it might cause.

@RomanZ I, along with many others, were fairly upset that you guys decide to start charging users to rent the software.  I've held of from buying because the bugs that I encounter, have not been fixed.  Why would I pay for software that has bugs that haven't been addressed in over a year?

I'm interested to know what timeframe users are looking at to see this bug fixed.

Thanks.

@loki_racer

If we use precise terms, it is not a Sync bug which is going to be fixed. It is Microsoft Office issue, and we want Sync to work smoother with MS Office as this is extremely popular application.

I'll check the timeframe and get back to you.

• 2 weeks later...

@RomanZ this bug effects more than just MS Office.  I don't even have MS Office installed and I'm experiencing this bug.  It happens with the configuration files for a number of my development applications (NuSphere PhpED, SQLYog, etc.).

I have to close btsync anytime I'm using my computer because I can't open and close files associated with my work.  

Created an account to say although i'm going to try bittorrent sync, this bug is currently the main thing putting me off. Even if i can work around this (which i shouldn't have to), i can't expect my fiancee to do this (WAF is important). Even if the bugs are technically with other software, it should be worked around in BT sync (maybe a config option or something to set the delay before syncing?).

• 1 month later...

same problem with access like ever!!! cant believe it! one year is gone and nobody fixes this issue! you crahshes databases with sync! users lose datas with your programm. it seems, you think that is not important...cant believe it.

i have started now to write comments on download-sites and warn users to download this software.

sorry for that, but you had time enough to think about priorities.