Out Of Sync - No Peers Online

stefsegers

Dear community members,

We have a possible fix for the "out-of-sync" issue. If anyone suffering this nasty issue is willing to test experimental build with the fix - please contact me over PM or just leave a message in this topic. Experimental build is compiled on top of 1.4.106 (so contains all the fixes that are in .106 build as well).

Installation is pretty simple (just get the binary, shut down the sync and overwrite old binary with the experimental one).

Please make this build available to me. I am not able to PM on this forum for unknown reason. Out of Sync issue is a MAJOR problem and exists for many versions of BTSync that I've tried.

Dear community members,

We have a possible fix for the "out-of-sync" issue. If anyone suffering this nasty issue is willing to test experimental build with the fix - please contact me over PM or just leave a message in this topic. Experimental build is compiled on top of 1.4.106 (so contains all the fixes that are in .106 build as well).

Installation is pretty simple (just get the binary, shut down the sync and overwrite old binary with the experimental one).

This may help.

I got the no peers online with one of my large sync folders even though I had other sync folders that synced to the same peer and were working fine.

I got it working again. First exit BitTorrent Snyc (right click tray icon, click exit in the menu)  then go to C:\Users\"your user name"\AppData\Roaming\BitTorrent Sync and you will see database files with long string of numbers and letters followed by .db. There are two per sync and the files have the same string name. It is hard to pick out which folder they are related to but in my case I picked the one with the largest file size as my problem was with the largest sync folder. I rename the two files with old in front in case I needed to put them back.

Restarted BitTorrent Sync and it started rebuilding the data base for this folder and then started syncing with the peer. I went from 12. 6 GB out of sync to I still have locked files. When it finished syncing it will say out of sync so many locked files and no peer online but when I create a new file it syncs it.

The problem of not syncing with a the peer I know is online I think started with BitTorrent Sync interaction with my e-mail program. I use Thunderbird for e-mai. I moved my Thunderbird profile into this folder everything was syncing fine with BitTorrent Sync but my pop Mail address in Thunderbird were having a problem they created popstate-"number".dat folders everytime I opened Thunderbird. This problem recured when I started the database but it could because the folder is read write and I picked up my backed up file problem from the peer.

Popstate is Thunderbird's database file for keeping track of pop e-mails one for each account. I went into the folder and deleted some popstate.msf files and cleaned up the profile and that I think Is when BitTorrent Sync stopped syncing because this folders database became corrupt. I also think read/write designation of the folder in BitTorrent Sync is playing into the problem.

I have a bunch of Idea to work my way out again but I have to find which will work before posting again.

Ok so I corrected my Thunderbird popstate multipling problem.by clearing both sides of the sync folder. I don't think it is the probelm of "no peers online" though it could have initially caused the problem by corrupting the BitTorrent Sync database. The no peers online seems to me to be connected to  a corrupt datsbase for that folder. You can follow my instructions in the prior post. It doesn't really matter if you rename them old and delete them latter but it is safer. BitTorrent Sync will rebuild any of the database for sync folders by reindexing them so even if you delete another BitTorrent Sync database file for a folder you are not having problems with it will just rebuild that database files. Remember it is two files per sync folder.

Each peer has it own database sync files (2) per BitTorrent Sync folder so you may have to try a number of delete database files/reindexing but I would go one peer at a time.

This problem happens with another program I have a small database file gets corrupted and everything stops working. Delete the database file. It rebuilds and the program works fine.

Someone earlier wrote this:

"With respect to not seeing the option to overwrite changed files, you have to go to the folder line and  left click on the three dots to the right, then the preferences come up, and you can check the box for "overwrite changed files".

That option is not on my menu in any loaction currently using BitTorrent Sync 1.4.103

The locked files. I am currently running windows backup on to a external hard drive and it seems to be locking up a majority of my locked file in BitTorrent going from anywhere from 13 to 26 changing. At times BitTorrent says "out of sync" the popup says "no peers online" but when a file becomes unlocked BitTorrent sends so I don't know if there is a problem there just seems to be a delay in syncing.

You don't have to go hunting for the database files. Removing a folder and adding it back to Sync will achieve the same result. The sequence is:

1. for each peer, Copy Read & Write key (or Read Only key), then Disconnect
  2. for each peer, Enter a key..., paste the key and select the folder

Regarding not seeing the option to overwrite changed files, you will only see that in the folder preferences of a folder for which a peer has Read Only access.

You don't have to go hunting for the database files. Removing a folder and adding it back to Sync will achieve the same result. The sequence is:

1. for each peer, Copy Read & Write key (or Read Only key), then Disconnect
  2. for each peer, Enter a key..., paste the key and select the folder

Regarding not seeing the option to overwrite changed files, you will only see that in the folder preferences of a folder for which a peer has Read Only access.

Yes, that is a better way.

Future releases could have a button that you press to rebuild database or reindex and/or even fancier if the program notices that there is no peer online for a certain period of time it rebuilds the database itself.

@PainterArt

Usually, the "No peers online" issue is not connected to the DB and DB corruption, but to connectivity (like, inability of wireless routers to route multicast packets, etc.). I wonder if you've got your debug logs turned on and can collect a log so I can take a glance on what happened to your DB?

Hi all

1) I often see "No Peers" in Status column, while all peers (workstations in the LAN, I assume) are regularly up and running as usual.

2) Furthermore, I often see a "Out of sync" message, even though the synced folder are different. Some time this situation persist for days and folders are *not* synced at all.

I don't understand why (I'm using 1.4.16).

Some hint, please?

Thank you

@PainterArt

Usually, the "No peers online" issue is not connected to the DB and DB corruption, but to connectivity (like, inability of wireless routers to route multicast packets, etc.). I wonder if you've got your debug logs turned on and can collect a log so I can take a glance on what happened to your DB?

Yes I understand that usually "No peers online" means no peers online or some sort of communication issue. I don't think that that is the reason this thread was started or the reason for at least a few of us having this problem.It seems to me that there are some knowledgeable people that are having the problem and they can rule out a connectivity problem.

In my case, the peer to peer is computer to computer hardwired. As I have already said, I have other snyc folders that are syncing to the same peer computer and are not having trouble. It was only one sync folder that was not syncing and saying "No peer online" when obviously connectivity was not the problem. I deleted the database for that sync folder. BitTorrent Sync rebuilt the database. That folder is now syncing without a problem. It is an n=1 solution right now. It would be interesting to see if other people with the same problem do the same thing and get the same results - a fixed sync folder.

I did not have the debug log on. I have it on now, but everything is working and syncing.

What message does BitTorrent Sync give if a synce folder's database is corrupt? Databases can become corrupt.

@carloxp

1) The "No peers" usually indicates connectivity issues. What peers are participating (OS, wifi / LAN connectivity)?

2) There is a known issue with out-of-sync. I can either propose you to try experimental build (with a possible fix), or - do a debugging session so we can try to find the root cause of your out-of-sync.

@PainterArt

Okay, it's good that it is syncing now, though it's a pity I can't see what was in the log. For the DB corruption - I cannot say what will be in the log. If the DB library detects the error, there would be something with "DB error". If on the DB level everything is okay and Sync just wrote some wrong data to the DB - it won't be that simple and error might take any look.

@texaszman

The "Out of Sync" issue actually has a number of root causes. Its pretty hard to hunt them down without having it reproduced in lab. It looks like we've pinned couple of the most widespread - and possible fixes are included in experimental build.

I've sent you build links to e-mail.

Hi Roman - let me know what I can do to help.  Really like (and have come to depend on) the product.

My systems seem to talk (send/receive) for brief moments when starting up - then fail and revert to 'out of sync'.  And then the sending PC goes into 'no peers online' shortly after that, then back to 'out of sync'.  

Happy to supply you with what you need from my end.

regards

Don Z

Edited by texaszman

Roman - played around some more and rebooted both machines after install of experimental build, started both and now everything is working correctly.  Has shown active and green checkmark on both systems, and new files have properly synced.

By jove I think you've fixed it.  Will continue to monitor. 

regards,

Don Z

@texaszman

Thanks for testing. Please keep me updated.

@RollerRalle,

I suggest trying experimental build first, as it looks to address the most common root cause for OOS. If it does not help - i'll instruct you on debugging.

@RollerRalle, @MoonGlorious

You'll get build links to your e-mail accounts. Looking forward to hear from you.

@texaszman

Thanks for testing. Please keep me updated.

@RollerRalle,

I suggest trying experimental build first, as it looks to address the most common root cause for OOS. If it does not help - i'll instruct you on debugging.

@RollerRalle, @MoonGlorious

You'll get build links to your e-mail accounts. Looking forward to hear from you.

I would also like the experimental build for this out of sync problem.  I have spent awhile on these forums (and elsewhere) to try and debug these problems and hopefully this will be the solution!

Thanks in advance,

Mike