Out Of Sync

lequick

Hi everyone,

I am running btsync on two machines. Syning mostly read only backups or encrypted nodes. In both cases restarting btsync often leads to an "Out of sync" status and no matter how long btsync runs (tried a couple of days) i never leaves this state.

My questions:

1. is this fixable, without deleting the r/o or encrypted backup and re-adding them?
  2. Why is this happening?

Edit: all running 1.4.83

Edited by lequick

• 2 weeks later...

On NAS PPC with UI. Version 1.4.*. 

1. first sync. all ok.

2. restart btsync or reboot NAS

3. btsync start indexing

4. btsync finish indexing

5. Always "Out of sync" and biiiiiiig size of sync folders :-( (see pics.1,2)

Fix:

6. stop btsync

7. delete *.db, *.db-shm, *.db-wal

8. start btsync

9.  btsync start indexing

10. btsync finish indexing

11. all ok!! 

12. but.... restart btsync or reboot NAS -> goto 3......"Out of sync".... :-(

On source of synced files status show all ok (win 7 x64)... (see pics.3,4)

This bug start from 1.4 and always after restart btsync. fix it, please! :)

PS: I'm sorry. poor my English :)

pics - https://plus.google.com/photos/112566577306099149795/albums/5791770414104882113

Edited by evgen_ru

I have to agree, despite not being as pretty I have 2-5 computers that were syncing beautifully with the 1.3.X verions and are having issues ever syncing completely with 1.4.X. I get it is beta but why break the core functionality while adding some pretty graphics? These are all Macs, all on the latest client.

Same here, however for me it not happens after a reboot but after every update and can be "fixed" with the workaround that evgen_ru described (or by disconnecting and reconnecting the folder), but this is very annoying.

Is there any news when this will be fixed?

1. first sync. all ok.

3. btsync start indexing

Fix:

6. stop btsync

8. start btsync

11. all ok!! 

pics - https://plus.google.com/photos/112566577306099149795/albums/5791770414104882113

were are these files "7. delete *.db, *.db-shm, *.db-wal" stored?

1. first sync. all ok.

3. btsync start indexing

Fix:

6. stop btsync

8. start btsync

11. all ok!! 

Just gave that a try and it works. But as you mentioned restarting btsync puts the folders in a out of sync state :(

Today I was able to fix this issue by rebooting windows client.

Otherwise "pending" on new folders on the phone, "out of sync" on old folders and "0 out of x" peers on PC.

Turning off and back on desktop Sync application helped immediately.

But did this last? I've had the same kind of problem, and rebooting and/or restarting the sync app gets things going... for a while. Pretty soon it's right back to "out of sync" though.

Unfortunately the same issues here.

2 Win7 laptops. One of them contains a working map for all our photo's. First I synced this (encrypted; read only) to a RaspBerry Pi. Yesterday I also sync'd this folder (read/write) to the other laptop, but the same issues.

Yesterday in the evening the BTSync instance said it has synced the photo-folder (about 70GB), but later in the evening it was out of sync and told me it contains not more than 10 - 20 GBs of data.

I hope it will be fixed asap.

Edit: I'll try to collect debug logs later today and send them to syncapp@bittorent.com

I experience the same kind of problem with:

- two computers (win 7 and 8) BS 1.4.93 

- a phone (Android 4.0.4) BS 1.4.50,

- a wifi based connection

- a shared folder between the 3 devices.

On both computers, it works fine.

On the phone it turns fine (1mo/sec) for a little while, then the communications stops until the computer(s) shows "Out of sync".

When I shut down the wifi and I restart it, BS restarts sending for a minute or two.

When I quit and I restart BS on the phone, it restarts sending for a minute or two. I must say that the starting process of BS on Android lasts much (estimated 3 to 5 times) longer than with the previous version.

While reading this thread, I know developers are already working on this issue. I just try to give a precise configuration/comportment where the bug happens.

I have not been able to sync reliably even once with the latest version (OS X). This software was stable and reliable before the latest update. I have seen all of the problems reported in this thread and others:

Out of Sync

No Peers

I tried wiping one of the two macs I sync and having it do a full sync overnight and it didn't work either.

BTSync is completely broken. I don't have time to troubleshoot anymore. I'm uninstalling it. I'd rather just use rsync and cron at this point, I know it works.

I know this is beta software but people use it with their valuable personal data. One thing BTSync should do reliably is sync files between computers. I can live with the lackluster UI and all other kinds of shortcomings but when the core functionality breaks I'm done with it.

I dropped DropBox because I don't trust them. I tried SpiderOak and dropped it because it's a pile of crap and I don't trust them. Going back to standard Unix tools. None of these projects work as reliably. Another plus: no crazy EULA. I read the last one that came with BTSync and it scares me to have to agree with all of that lawyer bullshit just to get files synced across two machines. I might overlook that out of a desire for convenience if the software it came with actually worked.