Can The Web Gui Be Accessed Outside The Network?

The web gui for the NAS is accessed using the url localhost:8888 when my Macbook is in the same network as the NAS. Then I add folders that I want to share.

Let's say I'm now in the office. I want to share a folder in my NAS with my iPad. This folder was not added to the list earlier. How do I access the web gui to add this folder when I'm outside the network that houses the NAS? Is it possible?

KB

Is there a more detailed guide as to how to do it?

Please see: Guide to Linux

How do I give that listen command when I'm in the office in another network?

Unless you can separately remote into your Linux box from your office, you can't - You need to specify the listening command on your Linux box itself, you can't set this "remotely"

• 5 months later...

I'm trying to do the same, but having never used a linux command line before its not going well (I'm trying to access the BitTorrent GUI on my home QNAP NAS from my office).

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

I'm on the local network at the moment, I've enabled telnet in the NAS WebUI, then opened a terminal window, connected by typing "telnet 192.168.1.10 13131", and put in my user name and password. All good so far...

I then tried just pasting the line ./btsync --webui.listen 0.0.0.0:14859 and clicked enter (when i click the link in the QNAP Dashboard for BitTorrent Sync it tries to connect on port 14859 so I assume that's the one I should use? other places have mentioned 8888?)

But I just get the error: -sh: ./btsync: No such file or directory

What am I doing wrong? 

on a related topic, if I do get this working will the settings stay after a restart or will I have to do this every time?

And why am I having to do this in the first place? It seems a bit odd that BitTorrent Sync isnt already configured for remote access through the myqnapcloud.com service, after all it is designed for syncing to remote locations. 

Any help would be massively appreciated!