Create Sc-Btsync Group In Dsm, For Easy Folder Permissions (Synology)

Important: Use at own risk!

New better solution, which will maybe added in the next SynoCommunity BitTorrent Sync release!

What you need:

Short explanation:
We create a group, which member will be the btsync user. So you can easily give permissions over the DSM.

What to do:

• Stop the btsync package.
  • Connect with SSH to your Synology, login as root and use the admin password.
  • Run this two commands:
    synogroup --add sc-btsync btsyncsynogroup --descset sc-btsync "SynoCommunity's BitTorrent Sync group"
  • Start the btsync package.
  • Now you can give permissions via Control Panel -> Group.

• 1 month later...

I've executed this 2 commands sucessfully, then I've given permission to the created group over /volumes1/homes/{me} but when I try to "Connect a folder" into btsync synology gui, I'm having the message "Don't have permissions to write to selected folder."

Image%202014-11-28%20at%202.08.44%20pm.p

Image%202014-11-28%20at%202.09.30%20pm.p

Image%202014-11-28%20at%202.10.10%20pm.p

Any idea ?

• 1 month later...

Important: Use at own risk!

New better solution, which will maybe added in the next SynoCommunity BitTorrent Sync release!

What you need:

Short explanation:

We create a group, which member will be the btsync user. So you can easily give permissions over the DSM.

What to do:

• Stop the btsync package.
  • Connect with SSH to your Synology, login as root and use the admin password.
  • Run this two commands:

synogroup --add sc-btsync btsyncsynogroup --descset sc-btsync "SynoCommunity's BitTorrent Sync group"
  • Start the btsync package.
  • Now you can give permissions via Control Panel -> Group.

THANK YOU !

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for this, I have added the group, however it did not allow me to address a problem I having:

I have a DS415+ which has a shared folder which allows read/write access for ~10 users over the LAN.  Offsite I have a DS214play where the same folder in synced with BT sync.  In addition there is one laptop that uses BT sync to stay in sync with the server from remote locations.

In the main everything works as expected, however any files/folders which are generated from the laptop and as such are created by the BT Sync user on either synology are read only for all the other users.  Obviously all the users concerned have read/write access to the sync folder. 

The only way around this that I have found is make all users a member of the admin group and then restrict their access on a per folder basis.  Clearly this is not a great solution, so if anybody knows what can be done about this that would really help.

After following the instructions on this thread I can now modify the permission of the synology group, but adding users to this group does not solve the problem.

• 4 months later...

Thanks for this, I have added the group, however it did not allow me to address a problem I having:

I have a DS415+ which has a shared folder which allows read/write access for ~10 users over the LAN.  Offsite I have a DS214play where the same folder in synced with BT sync.  In addition there is one laptop that uses BT sync to stay in sync with the server from remote locations.

In the main everything works as expected, however any files/folders which are generated from the laptop and as such are created by the BT Sync user on either synology are read only for all the other users.  Obviously all the users concerned have read/write access to the sync folder. 

The only way around this that I have found is make all users a member of the admin group and then restrict their access on a per folder basis.  Clearly this is not a great solution, so if anybody knows what can be done about this that would really help.

After following the instructions on this thread I can now modify the permission of the synology group, but adding users to this group does not solve the problem.

We have exactly the same issue, except you cannot add domain users to the admin group. So no work around for us....

• 2 weeks later...

I found an issue, that it kept saying "no permission". I was using btsync 1.4.111 before and still had .sync folders in my shared folders.

Deleting these old .sync folders with File Station resolved the issue and I'm now able to add each folder in btsync 2.0.128 again.