Are You Still Using Btsync 1.3.xx?

Journeyman

Oh, I did not realise that 1.4 is ok now for Windows XP. Will give a try, thanks!

Well, I tried 1.4.109 on Windows XP. No way to bring any interface up. It seems to run, but "show bittorrent sync" shows nothing, no window nor browser shows up. I'm using IronPortable as browser.

Oh, I did not realise that 1.4 is ok now for Windows XP. Will give a try, thanks!

Well, I tried 1.4.109 on Windows XP. No way to bring any interface up. It seems to run, but "show bittorrent sync" shows nothing, no window nor browser shows up. I'm using IronPortable as browser.

Firstly, I'm assuming you mean 1.4.103? Secondly, with Sync running try accessing navigate to http://127.0.0.1:8888/gui in your browser.

If that doesn't connect, run BTSync.exe with the "/webui" command line switch. If however it does connect, but doesn't display correctly in your browser, installing Firefox or Google Chrome will likely solve the issue, as "IronPortable" itself isn't a supported browser.

Thanks for all hints!

Now BTSync.exe fires up the browser (Firefox now) but I see only a blank page. CPU usage goes rapidly to 100% and the computer remains unresponsive, only the power button helps. Maybe my machines are too old (>10 years). Will continue to try, thanks anyway!

@casacota, glad it's working for you! The initial "blank UI" and "high CPU" you initially saw was likely due to Sync re-indexing content/upgrading its database following your update from 1.3->1.4

Probably, since there are 12 shared folders with >600 GB data,  about a million files and several dozens of connected peers. On the same (old) machine other systems like Dropbox were unable to index the needed content.

1.4 up and running, but step back to 1.3.109

Reasons:

the interface of 1.4 is taking more resources than that from 1.3. With many folders and many peers I have to monitor this is important. I liked the old interface also much better.

Some adjustments as lan encrypt data and sync trash ttl are gone on 1.4. Very important for me (huge files often changing on a 30 ttl basis can be a big problem with harddisk space).

Otherwise 1.4 was fine, specially the possibility to send links with parameters such the folder name and a very easy installation. 

post-39864-0-59109800-1415827216_thumb.j

post-39864-0-78676200-1415827217_thumb.j

Huh? Both lan_encrypt_data and sync_trash_ttl settings are still present in 1.4!! (Preferences (cog icon) -> Advanced -> More Options)

I can't see this on the 1.4 interface. I did see it on an earlier 1.4 version on Windows 7 but on 1.4.103 on Windows XP (chrome and firefox browser) I see these and other settings no longer. The "Advanced" tab doesn't show any "more options", at least on my computers.

I can't see this on the 1.4 interface. I did see it on an earlier 1.4 version on Windows 7 but on 1.4.103 on Windows XP (chrome and firefox browser) I see these and other settings no longer. The "Advanced" tab doesn't show any "more options", at least on my computers.

Ah, yes - my apologies - I forgot we were talking about accessing the web ui directly through your browser.

These advanced parameters are not currently accessible when accessing Sync through your browser (which is the only option on Windows if you have IE<9 installed).

Hopefully the ability to modify these advance options will eventually come to the web ui, however, in the meantime, you can still set these advanced settings by specifying them in a config file and then running BTSync.exe with /config <path_to_config> (or though the API with the set_prefs call)

Ah, I understand. I was thinking I'm too old to work with computers :-D so I'm happy this was not the cause. Thanks for your remark!

But I see that the old interface needs less ressources than a full modern browser, and ressources are an issue, so I'll stay on 1.3 in the meantime. I have only one machine with 1.4 to generate these awesome links!

I reverted back to 1.3 after installing 1.4 and trying to use it for a couple of months.

I just don't understand the interface in 1.4. I mean, with 1.3 I can easily see what's being transferred, at what speed, and among which machines. 

In 1.4, do you really have to go into Options to see what's being transferred? And, you only get to see this info on one file at a time? Isn't knowing what data your machines are passing to each other important? It is to me. I shouldn't have to click a hundred times just to see what's being transferred. That is basic info that for some reason is being obscured in 1.4.

And, for the suggestion that 1.4 is easier to use, ha! I can send my pals a key, give them 4 points of instruction on how to set up a folder for syncing, and it just works -- with 1.3.

With 1.4, it's: oh, you installed 1.4 and have a blank interface? What version of IE do you use? You don't know or care? Alright forget about it. Here's a link to 1.3. Just remember you have to clear your settings when you uninstall it.

Anyway, I was excited about getting to test the new version, until I installed it. Now, I don't really ever see myself upgrading. Or getting any more friends to use it, either. 

1.3 works. 1.4, from what I've seen so far (and I know I'm not alone!), is a travesty.

With 1.4, it's: oh, you installed 1.4 and have a blank interface? What version of IE do you use? You don't know or care? Alright forget about it.

To be fair, issues surrounding blank UI's and the dependency on IE that affected earlier 1.4 builds have since been addressed.

For example, Sync 1.4 is no longer dependent on IE on Windows - you can easily access it via Chrome or Firefox, etc instead.

1.4, from what I've seen so far (and I know I'm not alone!), is a travesty.

Given you seem to be under the impression that there are still widespread blank interface issues and a dependency on IE, perhaps "what you've seen so far" isn't actually the latest 1.4.x builds? (which at time of writing is 1.4.103)

Of course. Why would I not stay with 1.3.xx? It's reliable, the UI isn't awful since it's native, I am not having any issues with 1.3., etc. What possible reason would I have to upgrade to 1.4 when its UI appears to be designed to encourage users to stay with 1.3? 

It seems that nowadays many developers seem to have this inkling that web-based interfaces are acceptable alternatives to their native counterparts. I guess it seems that btsync is a case-in-point example of this. Just because you can consolidate your codebase and simplify development by using a web-based cross platform framework for creating a UI, doesn't mean you should. If anything, the interface for 1.4 should have been the earlier version, so that you could make it look like you were at least making progress towards a better UI by switching to something that is native. 

Anyway, I won't be upgrading to 1.4 until the UI returns to what it used to be in 1.3, and I'll be discouraging everyone else I know who uses btsync from doing so as well. And if that never happens? Looks like I'll be on 1.3 for the long haul. 

@whelderwheels613

Why would I not stay with 1.3.xx?

Here are some reasons, not sure if they are relevant for you, though still:

HTTPS links support
Proxy server support
Finder / Explorer integration
Moved/renamed folders support
Sync speed optimization
Bug fixes found by users in 1.3

+more bug fixes in latest 1.4 builds (and more are coming).

@whelderwheels613

Here are some reasons, not sure if they are relevant for you, though still:

HTTPS links support

Proxy server support

Finder / Explorer integration

Moved/renamed folders support

Sync speed optimization

Bug fixes found by users in 1.3

+more bug fixes in latest 1.4 builds (and more are coming).

But. You just pointed out core functionality fixes/improvements and not the issue at hand - the UI...

Yes, on my home PC I still run 1.3.109. On my work PC I use the latest 1.4 but that's only because 1.3 for some reason used a lot of CPU while idling, it's an old core2duo machine. Both PC's are on windows 8.1 64-bit. I think the UI in 1.3 is way more logic and I really miss the transfer-tab where I could see what file was being transfered atm. I can't see any other way now than the history option which I don't think is very good. But 1.4 works good enough and the functionality is the same and it is 64-bit so I won't downgrade, but I wont upgrade on my home PC.

BTW, was there ever a 64-bit windows version of 1.3?