Issue With Files Getting Overwritten With Older Versions

DasRav

Since the update to the 1.4.91 beta client, I have noticed big problems with BTsync. This may be due to the specific setup in my company: We are using Git as a versioning tool for our programmers. Those programmers work with IntelliJ to code and we have a BTsync set up to sync their programming folders from their local PCs to a centralized server.

We were using BTsync 1.3.106 before and had no problems. Now after updating a machine to 1.4.91 beta to test, we have the following problem: If you change an existing file with IntelliJ and commit the changes, the file gets rolled back to its previouis state a few seconds later. This can be replicated any number of times.

Any idea what might be going on here and how to fix it? For now it looks like we will not update from 1.3.106.

I'm having this exact same issue with the new client. I have a few devices synced with a folder that I use tiddlywiki in. What happens is that I might save a change and seconds later (as stated above) its over written with an older copy from another device. However, after the update of Sync I saw a notice that talked about the deletion of files and how a folder should be disconnected before hand. I really didn't understand what that meant. I saw that message before I realized what was happening.

Edited by Jaa Moka Voir

After some testing, restarts, pausing, device reboots and such... I found that when I modified the file on the device that kept over writing with the old copy and let that sync that I was able to make changes and sync normally from all the other devices. Of all the folders that I had synced it only affected that one folder and not the others. It is the folder that I use most often and the only one where tiddlywiki replaces itself, maybe that has something to do with the message about deletion that I seen earlier. I also noticed that all the changed files that I thought were being over written were actually being moved to the .sync/Archive folder so I didn't really lose anything when the older file kept coming back. Everything seems to work fine now but I'd still like to know if there is a solution for future reference.

Jaa~

The same thing happens for me up through 1.4.92. I do a bunch of work on my work computer, especially stuff involving todo.txt, and then I start up my laptop. My laptop has now taken to mercilessly clobbering every change I make on my work computer whenever it starts up BTSync, and it's unacceptable. My work computer is NH116, and my laptop is TiZLappy; so in my history on TiZLappy, I'll see "NH116 updated file todo/done.txt", on NH116, I'll see "Updated file todo/done.txt", and my done tasks will disappear on the work computer. The language used in the history suggests that NH116 pushed out an update, but what really happens is exactly the opposite.

I have a debug log for TiZLappy: http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=nJDRX7aY The other computer mentioned, Cerebro, is my home server.

I have not yet tried 1.4.93. And honestly, I'm probably not going to. I have no patience for this. I will be downgrading to 1.3.109 probably tomorrow.

EDIT: Oh, you have GOT TO BE KIDDING ME. Now even while TiZLappy is up and running, I make a change on my work computer, and TiZLappy's like "nope, overwritten."

EDIT 2: I restarted BTSync on both computers and they finally started behaving. The debug log for just before I restarted is here: http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=041MtTEp

Sooooo... 1.3.109 does the exact same thing, which means I won't be sticking with BTSync any longer in any fashion at all. I wonder just how long this issue has existed, and what kind of data I have lost to it? The only reason I know about my todo.txt files getting clobbered is because I see it on my desktop all the time. I don't want to think about how it might have desynchronized careful edits to the tag structure of my meticulously organized music collection, or undid a revision to a very important work project or school project. This is absolutely unacceptable.

Something similar is happening to me.

I have comp1 and comp2 turned on and comp3 turned off. all computers share 1 folder.

I edit some files on comp1 and comp2 syncs ok, but when I power on comp3, instead of getting the good copies from comp1 and comp2, it pushes the old files to comp1 and comp2, overwriting them.

I'm very angry because I've lost a lot of good files this way.

All 3 computers running btsync 1.4.93.   comp1 win8.1update1x64, comp2 win7x64, comp3 win8.1x64.

• 2 weeks later...

Something similar is happening to me.

I have comp1 and comp2 turned on and comp3 turned off. all computers share 1 folder.

I edit some files on comp1 and comp2 syncs ok, but when I power on comp3, instead of getting the good copies from comp1 and comp2, it pushes the old files to comp1 and comp2, overwriting them.

I'm very angry because I've lost a lot of good files this way.

All 3 computers running btsync 1.4.93.   comp1 win8.1update1x64, comp2 win7x64, comp3 win8.1x64.

You should hopefully still have the changed files in your sync folder (set WIndows to show hidden folders to see it), but as long as BTsync keeps insisting on overwriting them again even after a manual restore, this is obviously just a way to work around the problem and does not help with data backups.

Edited by DasRav

• 2 weeks later...