Bt Sync Crashes Immediately On Upgrade To 1.4.93

Devonavar

Well ... that didn't take long.  I've held off on upgrading to 1.4 from 1.3.109, but I figured 1.4.93 might be stable enough now.

Wrong.

1.4.93 crashes almost immediately.  I was able to accept the EULA, and then the GUI shows loading for a few seconds before it crashes.  The menubar icon disappears too, so it would seem that the whole application is crashing, not just the GUI.

I have no way of turning on logging, but I was able to run it from the command line, and it's pretty clearly a memory allocation issue.  The console messages are below.

I'm running OS X 10.7.5.

2014-10-17 11:36:18.212 Bittorrent Sync[2225:a03] IMKClient: exception caught trying to get the rootProxy for connection ((** NSConnection 0x1015269d0 receivePort <NSMachPort: 0x10151b920> sendPort <NSMachPort: 0x101545790> refCount 7 remoteUsesKeyedDO: 0 **)):
    NSInvalidReceivePortException : connection went invalid while waiting for a reply because a mach port died
2014-10-17 11:36:18.212 Bittorrent Sync[2225:a03]         This exception was thrown inside thread: <NSThread: 0x100617e70>{name = (null), num = 1}.  This thread is the main thread.
Bittorrent Sync(2225,0x10cb20000) malloc: *** mmap(size=175921860444160) failed (error code=12)
*** error: can't allocate region
*** set a breakpoint in malloc_error_break to debug

And ... as I rebuild, I get more clues.  It seems like this is really just a case of actually running out of memory, since apparently the memory requirements have jumped.

I have 16GB of RAM on my machine (though it's fairly heavily used).  For 1.3.109, memory usage hovered around ~250MB

I reverted to 1.3.109, and my first 6 shares were corrupt (presumably having been upgraded to 1.4 format).  The remaining shares were fine.  And — most notably — the last corrupted share (i.e. the share that it choked on) is my largest share:  ~2TB in just under 9,000 files.  It's clearly the filesize that is causing the problem — I have shares with hundreds of thousands of items, and they are fine.

So ... any suggestions on where to go from here?  Will the 1.4 memory footprint be large for the foreseeable future?

+1, but it was only crashing on my win8.1 machine, not the Win7 one.  I don't think it has anything to do with file size - I only have two folders each about 150Gb - Instant crash, but with the option to send in a log, which I did ....several times!  Uninstall and reinstall fixed it for me and I am now running 1.4.93 

• 5 months later...

Word from BTSync support is that v1.4+ requires OS X 10.8 & above.

However, I've had luck minimizing random crashes by freeing up hard drive space, eliminating shares that are also shared via SMB / CIFS, and not overloading the GUI with requests.  It seems mostly stable unless I do something that is likely to stress the memory system.