Folder Structure Changes

cajunzman

I understand that sync places a unique id into each folder to understand if a file has changed and if its over 4MB it will just redownload that 4MB chunk thats changed but what about folders....say I have a 507GB library of movies that me and my colleague have obtained over the years. Half are his, and half are mine and the idea was that we could act as an off site backup for each other as well as being able to share our media through Plex Media Server so we could still watch our movies in case one of our "servers" goes down for some reason. We performed a data hand off as transferring that much data over residential internet would take about a month.We then begin to realize we needed to clean our naming and folder structure up as well as place some files into folders or combine some folders under one folder (Blade, Resident Evil and such). Our concern was would Sync not understand these changes and redownload the entire file and folder again or could it understand that on computer A within drive D:/Movies filename elektra.avi and elektra.srt were moved into folder D:/Movies/Elektra and that D:/Movies/Xmen/The Wolverine was moved out of D:/Movies/Xmen and into D:/Movies again without having to redownload the entire 3.9GB again on computer B or in other words not moving D:/Movies/Xmen/The Wolverine to the D:/Movies/.sync/Archive Folder then redownloading D:/Movies/The Wolverine when the data already exists.

I did some test on exactly this scenario (took two computers, renamed large files, watched the network traffic) and Btsync noticed all the folder/file renaming/moving etc. No data was sent twice. Even if you copy a file and put it into two folders, it will be copied at your partners computer and not retransmitted again.