Locked Files

colinabroad

When does a locked file become unlocked and synced? I am now continuously, but sporadically getting 'locked file' reported on the status column of the GUI - sometimes one, sometimes more. These files remain locked until I close BTSync and reopen. They are NOT unlocking within a scan cycle, or when open files are closed. This is clearly a bug and needs rectifying as files will not be synced unless the program is turned off and on again to force an index which is not really acceptable. I have also asked previously to have the locked files listed somewhere so we can make sure they are NOT open files. It is ALSO interesting to see that not ALL open files get locked, so I am curious to know how the software decides to 'lock' or at least report a file as locked. I can open many spreadsheets/documents/files and NOT get locked files reported, so I do not know when this notification appears or indeed why for any particular file. Could this be part of the 'unable to save in Windows' issue with Office files? Win 7 Ultimate, Office 365(2013) BTSync 1.4.93 Also, just an aside - why is this not in the new notifications button on the GUI but half obscured in the status column? Surely this is should be a notification - but I guess it is also a status!

I have the same problem, especially noticeable with Excel files.  I edit a file, save and close, and that file becomes locked until I restart Bittorrent Sync software. 

Since Excel is our primary data files being shared, this is an important bug to address for us.

This problem happens on every computer that I've tried it on (5 computers)

Edited by ericsit

I have a similar situation with open office files.   They are unlocked when you save and EXIT the program.  A save alone, on my machine, does not unlock the file.  Since when you save and exit, there may be a lag for the sync to occur, it can cause timing problems if the machine is about to be shut down.  It will sync, shortly, but there is a timining issue.

I have the same issue. Office files usually (but not always) become locked upon first saving and won't sync again unless BT Sync is closed down and reopened on both peer machines. Following reopening, a correct sync occurs and then upon the next save, the file locks again. I have been operating 1.3.xxx version since mid August with no problems (I have a very simple set up - just two laptops on my home WLAN syncing between each other - both run Win 8.1 64bit and the router is a relatively new Netgear R7000 - all settings are defaults). As soon as I updated to 1.4.93, this problem started immediately.

It seems that this only occurs when closing a previously saved file (my observations for what it is worth)  On opening a file, looking at various things then closing it again without change I will sometimes get a locked file reported.  If I edit the file then save then close I get the same problem.  However, if I edit a file, and close using the red cross in top right hand corner THEN use the option to save and close the file is NEVER reported as locked, so I have now got into the habit (BAD habit that I want to stop as soon as possible) of using this method to exit and save.  NOT good practice at all, but the only way I can see right now to avoid the reporting of locked files.  This may help the developers find the problem - which of course was not there previously, but I am not sure which version it crept in on as I shifted from 1.4.82 to 93 pretty quickly.

I can concur, seeing this with Office files and especially Excel. If I save the file to a different location I can then copy/paste the file over the top of the original. But this gets old real quick. This only seems prevalent since the last update. 

Please also see this thread - The devs are aware of this and working on a fix