[Solved] Btsync Insists On Keeping An Old Version

Hopkins

Hi,

I have a repeatable problem.  After making some changes to a file (an Access database) which syncs with two other machines (another computer on the latest version, and a Synology box on 1.4.83), I noticed that the file was overwritten with an old version.  I retrieved the deleted version from the archive and renamed it, overwriting the old file - but it was deleted again!  So, I added a zipped version of the file to the directory in order to keep it safe.  However, each time I extract it, deleting the wrong version, it is removed again.  It is using the Synology (1.4.83) as the source.

Is there a secure address to which I can send my debugging log file?

Thanks.

Hi !

I have the same kind of problem. It happens with word files, "pages" file, or when I delete or move folders. 

My configuration is not the same as you: I have three mac computers, one being read only... 

It seems we can send debut logs to: syncapp@bittorrent.com

with the description of the problem. 

Hope this will get solved because I need it to work.. Otherwise will have to stop using Sync... 

@all,

I'm hunting for the issue for pretty long time as not all the logs and environments contain info necessary to fix the issue. If you are willing to help to debug issue - I would love to see your logs. Note, that logs need to be:

1) in full debug output mode

2) collected from all peers

3) cover the same timespan

4) have the issue reproduced in covered timespan

And yes - it is safe to send logs to syncapp@bittorrent.com. Just don't forget to deflate'em.

Thanks!

Just a thought.... reading your problem made me think of this scenario.

What if files with same names are added from different computers?
We give human action first priority and always consider it right. That's why if several files with the same name are added on different devices, BitTorrent Sync will synchronize the file that was the latest added to BitTorrent Sync even if it is not the newest version of the file itself. Previously added files will be deleted, but you can find them in .SyncTrash (if enabled in folder preferences).

taken from http://forum.bittorrent.com/topic/16410-bittorrent-sync-faq/

Edited by wcking

@all,

I'm hunting for the issue for pretty long time as not all the logs and environments contain info necessary to fix the issue. If you are willing to help to debug issue - I would love to see your logs. Note, that logs need to be:

1) in full debug output mode

2) collected from all peers

3) cover the same timespan

4) have the issue reproduced in covered timespan

And yes - it is safe to send logs to syncapp@bittorrent.com. Just don't forget to deflate'em.

Thanks!

Great !

I stopped synchronizing since it was too dangerous for my work.. 

However before stopping I sent an e-mail as you said, however not with all the clients logs, but only with my machine's log. 

(It was sent on Oct. 25 10:49 my time (Switzerland): object was "Files cannot be updated". 

I'll try to reproduce the bug and send you the logs if I manage too (but I cannot do it on my work files...)

Thanks !

m

Just a thought.... reading your problem made me think of this scenario.

What if files with same names are added from different computers?

We give human action first priority and always consider it right. That's why if several files with the same name are added on different devices, BitTorrent Sync will synchronize the file that was the latest added to BitTorrent Sync even if it is not the newest version of the file itself. Previously added files will be deleted, but you can find them in .SyncTrash (if enabled in folder preferences).

taken from http://forum.bittorrent.com/topic/16410-bittorrent-sync-faq/

Yes but that doesn't explain why one cannot delete a file without it re-appearing seconds afterwards, or why if I modify a word file, it is soon replaced by the previous version (and the new version moved to the archive). 

@mirou

Unfortunately, in such case log from a single machine is completely useless. We need to track what was happening on 2 computers simultaneously to find out why peers took decision to take old version as a new one.

Ok I get it !

As soon as I reproduce the bug, I send the logs to you. 

(but for now, "unfortunately" everything seems to work fine...). 

thx

Hi!

I've switched back from the current release (1.4.93) to 1.4.82 (Windows) and 1.4.72 (Linux). Until now, the bug seems gone (at least for the file that I had the problem with). Don't know if other files are (still) troubled. Also I don't know if reinstalling the new version would have done the same for me.

However, it leaves a very, very bad taste to know that there might be a bug like that around that potentially destroys all your work. Even though BTSync is still in beta, people will start using it for productive environments since "beta" sadly became a label that can be found everywhere nowadays. A label that has no true meaning anymore! This can also be seen when looking at BTSyncs version numbers: The app claims to be still in "beta", but dot-releases are coming in rapid succession without a stable version in between (or did I miss something?).

Cheers,

MCB

@MCB529

Whole project is in Beta. We plan to release first non-beta as soon as we cover these nasty issues and stabilize Sync. Note, that the file which was replaced by Sync is stored in .sync\Archive folder - so you can restore it.

The file you complain about - was it changed / edited / touched when Sync application was shut down?

@RomanZ If the whole project is beta, I am still wondering why there are such strangely high version numbers. Wouldn't it be a better sign to have 1.0 as the first stable version? But admittedly, this is nomenclature and has nothing to do with the problem itself ;)

To your question: The file was edited and all Sync applications (the local one and the remote on on my server) were running.

I've also sent the two log files to your colleagues for inspection.

@RomanZ Sure I did! But maybe it'll be a bit tricky because of some nasty German umlauts ;)

@GreatMarko That is of course true. But still, Firefox has a very simple version numbering scheme (only one number, that's it) instead of a major.minor.revision scheme, where (older? ;) ) people would expect that the software is out of beta when a certain major or minor number is reached. You do your thing, but please do not forget to skip the beta when the stable version is reached.

AGAIN !

It did it again. This time a Folder keeps re-appearing. 

In fact it is a folder that I renamed. So the renamed folder is here to stay (good). However the old folder keeps coming back (with not all the content in it), even if I put it to trash. 

I have logged all that and send the log to the dev team. 

Best,

m

@mirou

Thanks for the logs, though I don't see them in our ticketing system. Did you get any ticket number in auto response mail?

No... I didn't get any ticket number... 

I send them again now... 

m

... and, RomanZ, I have just sent you an mp right now with the said e-mail... 

m

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Similar problem here.

I sync 2 android devices, 1 linux and 1 mac computers.

No changes are made to the same file from multiple machines. (I usually make changes only on 1 computer and want to be able to access my files on the other devices).

I end up loosing my latest chagnes on various files. (be it C++ source code, photoshop files, word documents, anything)

And I have the latest version on all the devices! (1.4.103)

@mhadjimichael

There are a number of events that can bring the "old files overwrite new ones". I suggest checking if any could happen in your environment recently:

- Sync is killed unexpectedly / crashed. DB in this case is not saved properly.

- file was modified simultaneously on 2 peers, while Sync was off on one of them (also applies to Sync-for-Android's "Auto-sleep" mode).

- File has mtime from future.

• 1 year later...
On 30/11/2014 at 6:42 AM, RomanZ said:

@mhadjimichael

There are a number of events that can bring the "old files overwrite new ones". I suggest checking if any could happen in your environment recently:

- Sync is killed unexpectedly / crashed. DB in this case is not saved properly.

- file was modified simultaneously on 2 peers, while Sync was off on one of them (also applies to Sync-for-Android's "Auto-sleep" mode).

- File has mtime from future.

How we solve the DB issue? I don know if it is my problem, but the other issues don't apply in my case.

omatat,

20 hours ago, omatat said:

How we solve the DB issue?

Quit Sync correctly. 

this is an old topic related to older version of Sync. Since then much has been changed, so if you have this kind of problem, please submit logs from all peers affected (or at least two) to support team and provide a few details about your exact workflow and pattern if any. this kind of issue need to be investigated individually.