[Solved] Bittorrent Sync Does Not Sync Folders Beginning With ~

kyferez

I often use a tilde (~) so that a very important folder that I often use will be at the top of my file browser.

I just discovered the new version of BitTorrent Sync does NOT sync these folders. It appears to completely ignore the folder.

All settings are at default with a new installations of BTSync on new computers.

Please correct this. It used to work just fine with the older versions.

Edited by kyferez

This isn't a bug - just part of the default exclusion rules.

Simply remove the "~*" rule from your .sync\IgnoreList file!

Not Solved.

Do I have to do this for every synced folder on every synced computer?

If so, is there any way to globally affect the entire program?

If there is no easy way to affedt this globally for the entire program this is highly undesired behavior because it means I will have to go thru 6 computers and at least 5 shares on each computer to fix :(

Edited by kyferez

Do I have to do this for every synced folder on every synced computer?

I'm afraid so!

If so, is there any way to globally affect the entire program?

I'm afraid not! - however, consider adding your voice to this thread in the Feature Request forum.

If there is no easy way to affedt this globally for the entire program this is highly undesired behavior...

Perhaps in your specific use case, however, for the vast majority of users, it is undesirable for files beginning with a tilde "~" character to sync, as such files are typically temporary files created by other applications whilst files are in use.

As I say though, consider adding your voice to the thread I've indicated above - there's certainly desire from the community to have a single set of exclusion rules that would apply (and propagate) to all folders equally. In the meantime though, the solution, as indicated, is to remove the "~*" exclusion rule from all your .sync\IgnoreList files

Perhaps in your specific use case, however, for the vast majority of users, it is undesirable for files beginning with a tilde "~" character to sync, as such files are typically temporary files created by other applications whilst files are in use.

As I say though, consider adding your voice to the thread I've indicated above - there's certainly desire from the community to have a single set of exclusion rules that would apply (and propagate) to all folders equally. In the meantime though, the solution, as indicated, is to remove the "~*" exclusion rule from all your .sync\IgnoreList files

I disagree. Those files are typically hidden and will be deleted when the file is closed, so there is no essential need to ignore them because if they did get synced they should get deleted as well.

Also, if you are going to attempt to target those sorts of files, I would expect you shouldn't also target Folders, which your default rule does. I would also expect the rule would target only hidden files, not unhidden files since you can never account for what a user might decide to name a file.

I did add my comments to the thread as you suggested. I presented an exceptionally easy way to assist users like me that need to make global SyncIgnore changes.